WVNeds's Tanks

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First Time viewing your thread... Just Awesome Beautiful Tanks.. And a Journeyman Handyman.. Awesome Fish Room;) The whole thing is Awesome Thanks for sharing... Bows at the feet of Greatness to kiss the ring...
LOL
Just a crabby old man.
8-10 different kinds
I keep pests.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was out feeding in the fish room and the crabs came out but they hid from the camera.
IMG_1874-XL.jpg

The new shrimp wonderland. They might as well be comfortable until I feed them to the fuzzy.
I hope they start making more.
IMG_1875-XL.jpg

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I kept Lionfish many years ago, mine would only eat live as well. Problem was, ghost shrimp were hard to come by. I had to feed live feeder fish most times. I had one that would take the fish from my fingers if I held on to the tail. This was a black Lionfish about the size of my hand if stretched out completely.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I kept Lionfish many years ago, mine would only eat live as well. Problem was, ghost shrimp were hard to come by. I had to feed live feeder fish most times. I had one that would take the fish from my fingers if I held on to the tail. This was a black Lionfish about the size of my hand if stretched out completely.
Mine wont look at fish yet. Not even small ones. I decided before I got him I was going to do it the right way.
so I read Lion Kings stuff and made a tank for him. I will probably add another one.
With the 20L set up I can buy them 100 at a time on eBay and keep them alive which is better than driving 2 hours to buy 3-4 dozen and have half of them die the next day.

This place extols the virtues of LED lights every day. I cant really get greens and reds to appear correctly under the Reefbreeders light. Everything looks kind of drab. I may add some T-5 to it.
and it looks so beautiful when I snap a pic. Yuck.
Someone is hungry
IMG_1877-XL.jpg

IMG_1878-X2.jpg

He will eat from a stick but I stopped doing that. I put the food in and make him go look for it.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did my water testing today. Everything looks okay. I increased the doser to 200ml/day Ca and Alk. I will test again in 3 days. It's just under 400 and 8.3.
The Tropic Marin came and I need to figure how much to mix into the next batch of 2 part. I guess I need 3 more jugs. 1 set to mix the 2 part which I have and 1 set with the trace added to top up the doser.

Everything is going according to plan. The tiny emperor angel got the crap beat out of him but he is hanging in there and eating well and the aggression seems to be less. The koran doens't spend all day hunting him now. It didnt eat for a week and did nothing but try to get the little guy.

growing macro is funny. It booms and then busts over about a month long cycle. My water paramaters arent swinging to match and I havent touched the lights so I dont know. It doesnt die all the way. There is a small amount that grows back but looks more colorful and compact. Maybe in a few years I will figure it out.
They look like this today.
IMG_1893-XL.jpg

Maybe the pods are eating the macro.
IMG_1894-XL.jpg

Jane went to the obstetrician and she is having a boy and a girl. I hope Jill doesn't spontaneously combust.

Little Paige is just beautiful. I wish Grant and Morgan didn't live so far away.
from zero to 3 grandchildren in a short space of time.
IMG_1895-XL.jpg

Louie is learning to sing opera. He is quite good. He is now a small cat.
IMG_1897-X2.jpg

Guess I better sweep again. I just did 2 days ago. Cant you tell? I dont even own a grey dog. The fine undercoat is coming out and they are getting a new one for winter. I need to go cough up a hairball now.

Life is Good

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a water change of 80 gallons or so yesterday. I have been doing one a month. Now I am going to stop.
We will see. I am dosing BRS alk, Ca and Mg. I have Tropic Marin Pro-coral part 1 and 2. I will start that when all the Kent is gone. I have been using that for years and am putting 40ml in every Friday. I am going to get a slave doser and start adding the Tropic Marin every day.

One of my Jebao Cor-20 pumps died so I ordered an MP-40. I really don't know anything about big pumps except they are expensive. I have used MP-10s for a long time. I know they are wonderful in a tank the right size for them. The Ecotech estimator says 2 MP-40s will be perfect for my tank so I may get a second one.

I can say my tank doesn't look exactly the way I want. I am operating on the bleeding edge of what I know how to do. I put a lot of fish in it and they have eaten everything they possibly can. Up close the tank has a barren look. Lots of sponges and not much else. This is how my tanks usually turn out and I had hoped to avoid it this time. I am contemplating a second small order of live rock and putting where the fish cant get it now that I have the ability to keep whats on it alive.

I see lots of posts that chromis dont get along. Mine do. I have 9 and they dont show aggression that I see.
IMG_1905-XL.jpg

My anemone is liking the pump being dead.
IMG_1901-XL.jpg

Louie was looking at the tanks with me this morning. We haven't had a lot of cats over the years but he is different.
IMG_1900-XL.jpg

I have been netting the large pods out of the 20 gallon and putting them in the 75. So far the cyano has stayed away.

I need to do my water tests today. I am watching for the biopellet reactor to come on line. It is still too early at 15 days but I want to stay on top of it. It isnt supposed to do anything for 2 months but that seems like a long time for bacteria to take off. The ozone may nerf it too.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a nudibranch on the glass this morning.
2019_12_09_0661%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy-XL.jpg

2019_12_09_0663%20-%20Copy-XL.jpg

By its coloration I would say it eats this and probably came on it. It's more than an inch long so it must be doing well.
2019_12_09_0664%20-%20Copy-L.jpg

My smear of xenia has grown polyps and started pulsing. After seeing some for sale for 70 dollars a stalk and paying 30 dollars to get the barest of smears on a frag plug I have factored growing this into my retirement plan finances.
2019_12_09_0666-XL.jpg

Sponges are attacking
I have 4-6 different colors of sponges in various places.
2019_12_09_0669-XL.jpg

2019_12_09_0671-L.jpg

Well Louie jumped in the tank. I have a mess to clean up.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just mucking around in the fish room.
The ghost shrimp tank shrimp has gone green and the plant has broken the water surface. I need to remove the fish but wont flush them. I guess I am a sap. They grew and are kind of too big for the eel.
IMG_1915-XL.jpg

Here is one of my pests. They do voraciously eat snails and conchs. I think it pretty nice looking as crabs go.
IMG_1914-X3.jpg

The worm culture is growing
IMG_1916-X3.jpg

I started a second one with coco fiber
IMG_1917-X3.jpg

I looked and my MP-10w was manufactured in 2011. I have replaced the wet side once. I had a second one but a puppy ate the wires.

Things are big today.
IMG_1919-X3.jpg

Back to Christmas decorating. Jill has more stuff than most Christmas shops.
Need more hooks for stockings
IMG_1920-L.jpg

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The life on your rock is amazing, Louie is getting big. I can solder new cables on your power head if needed, I just did my mp40

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The life on your rock is amazing, Louie is getting big. I can solder new cables on your power head if needed, I just did my mp40
Thank you but that happened well before I ever came here and it went into the trash. I don't even recall which dog did it anymore.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking a bit on the internet. I have several stone crabs that came in my rock.
They get big
serveimage

Don't think a 20 gallon tank is going to hold that. The large claw is harvested and the crab released to grow it back which takes a year. I guess I need to start feeding them more.
serveimage

cool. To bad I am allergic. You never know what you will find in a basement in West Virginia.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORP at 402. I turned down the controller a tiny bit.
IMG_1956-L.jpg

Pods are so cute. But in the end they are like tiny crabs. And there is a big crab in there. Where the small bivalve was looks like it was bombed. Everything in the 20 is being consumed. I am feeding the tank every morning.
IMG_1959-L.jpg

Another pest I am letting go for now.
IMG_1957-L.jpg

Shore shrimp is still doing his thing
IMG_1958-L.jpg

The ghost shrimp tank is making flowers
IMG_1954-L.jpg

It is a green tank which I am hoping is good for the shrimp
IMG_1955-L.jpg

just because
IMG_1962-L.jpg

IMG_1960-XL.jpg

The bryopsis urchin
IMG_1961-XL.jpg

IMG_1963-L.jpg

The urchin that came on the live rock is still in there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a nice Christmas. I hope you did too.
Paige is 5 months today
IMG_2003-XL.jpg

Tank is doing okay. It could always be better.
I have been sick for a week and wasn't sure any were still in there until I cleaned the glass last night. It already needs it again.
Wow, crappy pics. Sorry
IMG_1996-L.jpg

The Niger Trigger is very pretty. I am probably going to regret getting him in the end though. At some point I will have to move him to the big tank.
IMG_1998-L.jpg

IMG_2002-L.jpg

I am sick so of course my overflow acts up. Except it is simply draining too fast and is noisy. Don't care today.

Last edited:
Back