WVNeds's Tanks

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good news! Congratulations on the macro!

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a little late today but breakfast is served
IMG_2128-X2.jpg

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having some problems this morning.

My ORP was down to 168 on the Milwaukee. I shook the probe and it went to 238.
So I took the probe out and stuck it in some vinegar. It was 300 yesterday.
I have another probe here but they are supposed to last more than a few months.
The Poseiden 200 doesnt make enough ozone to kill a 400 gallon system so I am not
that worried about it. I could probably turn it down a bit and go without the controller if I have to. The problem is figuring out which part isn't working, is the tank going bad, the probe dying or the Poseidon plugging up again. The tank looks fine.

When I put the iron supplement in the tank the ORP fell 100 points in 10 minutes
and I am adding it every day so 300 is the new 400. It was around 410 before I dosed the iron.

The magical mystery of ORP. Another fun but somewhat meaningless number to chase.

My temperature was down to 77.8 so I installed another 150 watts of heating permanently so the Inkbird is driving 4 heaters totaling 900 watts now. I attached a power strip to the wall and plugged it into the Inkbird. I probably need to bite the bullet and buy a Ranco and put it on it's own circuit and go to 1200 or so watts.
It is up to 78.5 already. The lights came on and that helps.

The fish room isnt the same temperature as the house. It is off the garage and is usually 10-15 degrees colder than the house. The sump actually heats the room if I remember to keep the door tightly shut.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some sad news. Fin passed away last night. He had been a member of our household since Jeanna was in 11th grade.

IMG_0211-M.jpg

RIP Fin the 3 legged hedgehog.
2019030421052149-IMG_0813-M.jpg

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2146-L.jpg

IMG_2152-L.jpg

We will see how this goes. 6 medium Bergia nudibranchs went in.
I have counted 6 so far.
IMG_2153-M.jpg

Mommy aiptasia is in the 30 gallon tank. The babies are in the 75. I still dont see any in the 240 so something in there must be eating them.

I added some more macro but it looks really rough. I think it got cooked by the heat pack in the shipment. The bags smelled like parsley soup when I opened them.

IMG_2148-L.jpg

One of the anthias got beat up and had a white nose and torn tail but it is healing.

I got the ICP test and need to find my glasses so I can get it fixed and in the mail.

I need to clean my pumps. I hate doing it.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not a sump crab. This is a sump crab

IMG_2155-L.jpg

He is up to 6 inches, maybe a bit more

I has these bugs in ma tank HELP!!!!!

Sorry about the tremor. I am working on that. 7 tubes of blood, an MRI, some electrodes on my feet. Who knows. I can mix paint real good.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears the iron was necessary. Sadly I have to clean the glass every day or I cant see into the tank.
It's coming up on 2 months since a water change. I have the ICP test ready to go in the mail Monday. 2 of the gorgonians are not happy. The others look really good.
Decisions, decisions.
IMG_2163-L.jpg

I got a bunch of macro from Reef Cleaners but it was shipped dry and I think the heat pack cooked a lot of it. Most are still white after several days in the tank.

My RFA spawned again yesterday. I considered getting another but I am not sure what I would do with a bunch of them. I went through this before with Siberian dwarf hamsters. The LFS is gone so I couldn't even trade them.

The Hairy Scary crab was walking around this morning.
IMG_2162-L.jpg

I took the gyres out of the 240. They have to be cleaned every 2-3 weeks or the flow just dies. I think it is from junk narrowing the distance between the slats in the impellers.

I am thinking about getting a second MP-40. Then I would have no wires going into the tank. I am making mesh tops for it and that would simplify things. The egg crate has shrunk and is falling into the tank unless you sit it exactly right. Not sure how plastic could shrink but it has.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reworked the light hanger again. I am making it more compact so the canopy won't have to be so big.
IMG_2169-L.jpg

There is a 2nd MP-40 on the way, and I am replacing the egg crate with mesh tops. No more wires.
Once I get rid of all this glare and have tops that don't fall in the tank I will be happy

Last edited:
OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting a water change ready. About 20%.
Not doing them is fine as long as you know what you are doing and I will know more once I see the ICP test. I have no idea if the additive package I went with is working, so I have decided to be safe. I want to see if doing a water change makes a difference.

Being on a forum is fine and gives you many things to think about but in the end we are almost all alone with our tanks and have to decide what is best for the animals. I like to try new things but I am feeling I need to retreat a bit.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have received your water sample at the TRITON-Lab in Germany. Your sample analysis will be uploaded to your TRITON-Lab account within 2-3 working days.

The new tops are done and on the tank. The second MP-40 is in the tank. I am running them in short pulse mode with one pump as a slave in anti-sync.
Now to try again making a canopy.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got another yellow tang at Petco yesterday. A little tail slapping and he is home and welcome.
He is paper thin but ate the LRS this morning so I expect he will be fine.
Tang aggression is nothing like angelfish that try to kill the new guy for weeks.

IMG_2193-L.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back