WVNeds's Tanks

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read lots of posts before buying a new skimmer. This made me think about how I had mine set up now.
So a few days ago I replumbed how air goes into the SRO-5000. Most of it comes from the "hat" I made for it recirculating the air/ozone inside from the skimmer cup to the air intake muffler. The rest comes from an air pump I rigged to inject outside air into the ozone generator and then into the skimmer mufflers second port.

This is how a Lifereef skimmer manages intake air.

It looks like heck but it is working much better. The skim is much darker and there is less of it.

I turned off the Nopox dosing channel today. More testing in 2 days. NO3 is 2 now.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really bored.
You want to eat. Let me take a picture.
IMG_2570_heic-M.jpg

IMG_2569_heic-M.jpg

IMG_2571_heic-M.jpg

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface has marks on his side.
2020050312374407-412569261603590220-IMG_2579_heic-L.jpg

They look familiar
IMG_2222-XL.jpg

Bite marks from a tang.

I am feeling a little bad about all the fish I put in those small tanks.
They act completely differently in a big one. They hang out and chill.
IMG_2577_heic-L.jpg

I have yet to see the butterfly eat anything I feed or touch an aiptasia.
But he has filled out and is growing. He is very skittish.
IMG_2591_heic-L.jpg

I added 11 more berghia last week, but I am starting to worry that nothing eats the kind of aiptasia I have.
There are none in the big tank. Something must be eating them but I have no idea what. I thought it was the crabs but the one I moved to the refugium hasn't touched them. Perhaps I am feeding him too well.

So far my total fish losses since setting this up are a hippo tang, chocolate tang, yellow tang, 3 lyretail anthius,
and 2 blue reef chromis. They all just disappeared. I never found any of them. All of them had been in the tank weeks to months before they disappeared.

The chocolate tang was in the 75 in the morning and I had decided to raise the light levels a bit. This causes the Photon V2 to flash the tank a lot. When I was done I never saw the Chocolate tang again. There isnt anything in that tank to eat it unless an eel did it. There might be two small hermits in there. I dont think urchins and conchs would consume a fish body.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Blue Ridge is changing shape.
From a single big growth to 4 taller spires.
IMG_2555_heic-M.jpg

I have been watching all the white down in the center. It seems to be new growth.
IMG_2614_heic-M.jpg

Growing taller and separating in the base area.
It is encrusting a large rock but is now reaching down for the next one to grow on.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I think you will be very pleased with the LIfeReef skimmer. You will find that you will need to run the bubble line quite a bit lower in the skimmer than you are used to. I would start it at the top of the LifeReef sticker on the main body. With the small diameter of the neck, it needs to be tuned a little different than a more traditional skimmer.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a PVC pipe and Jeanna used the big feeding tongs. We herded him into a corner and grabbed him.
IMG_2653_heic-L.jpg

Off to the sump

A conservative estimate would be over 30 crabs have come from the TBS live rock. Stone, porcelain, gorilla and some that seem to stay tiny that come out of holes in the rock at night. 6 or 7 different kinds. Something has been mauling the fish.

There may be more.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does reading this sight ever give you the willies? You will wake up and all your chromis or tangs have had a fight to the death or spots all over your fish.
All these new people generate so much angst.

I watched my tuxedo urchin spawn this morning. I only have one of them though. I wonder when the 3 long spines will do it. That could be messy.

I ordered 2 Tunze 6155 flow pumps. I am hoping to put them on the back and get more flow in the middle of the tank while being able to turn down the Vortechs a bit.

I also ordered 4 14K MH bulbs. I still have the 20ks in now.

My gorgonian is very droopy. I always thought they would grow toward the light like a plant. I suppose that is silly though.
IMG_2655_heic-M.jpg

I guess I should clean the glass if I want to take pictures. I cleaned some gutters off the extension ladder and am a little beat up today.
IMG_2656_heic-M.jpg

IMG_2662_heic-M.jpg

IMG_2659_heic-M.jpg

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a massive crab Ned. Tank is looking goood as well.

How is the new skimmer doing??
It's working well. Took right off and skimmed. I have had a few hiccups with small pieces of ulva floating in the sump finding the venturi.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back