WVNeds's Tanks

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the fish room. The AWC started and scared me. It's storming and Bear and Rudy are trying to get in my underwear with me.

My system has gone to a place I dont like. Too sterile. I am considering a small order of live rock.

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slowly taming the giant light
IMG_3147_heic-M.jpg

I put slats in the canopy so the light cant reflect so much out the front and back above the tank.
IMG_3148_heic-M.jpg

I am still getting light spill but I have decreased it about 80%. The problem is I have decided to run it much higher than originally planned. I can live with this though. I might try moving them a bit too.
What did you use for your lighting baffles?

I’m contemplating options. Thx

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PVC trim pieces from Home Depot mounted on sections of allthread capped with acorn nuts. I later reduced the number of slats to 3 since I was concerned I was shading the tank too much.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered an Aquamaxx TS-2 sulfur denitrator from the Marine Depot clearance. The media for it as well.
I am going to try to switch over to LaCl3 dosing and a Sulfur Reactor to control nitrates and phosphates.
I ordered a Hanna ULR phosphate checker so I can fine tune the LaCl3 dosing.

The Hydros is doing an amazingly trouble free job of ATO/AWC. No drama at all, no alarms. I would recommend it to anyone with a bigger system.

It's funny to think that my green chromis are now larger than many of the baby tangs you see on here
IMG_3779-M.jpg

The fish that was so paper thin you couldn't see him if he was swimming toward you is thicker now.
IMG_3776-M.jpg

FEED US
The baby fuzzy ate a molly I put in for the antenatta. He was swimming around with the tail hanging out of his mouth and I was worried but it went down. He is much more aggressive when feeding than the zebra.
IMG_3780-M.jpg

Jill is planning on retiring in December. I need to quite spending money.
You really have to watch.

500 mL Elimi-Phos Rapid $24.70 ($187 a gallon)​

1 gallon Two Little Fishies Phosban-L $95.82 is 4 times stronger so you use 1/4th as much as well.
I have been manually dosing the LaCL3. Hopefully the open box dosing pump I ordered comes this week.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't find the sulfur media, did you get the korallin stuff? It's out of stock now....

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very glad Hydros is working for you. If you are a fan it makes me all the happier it’s the system I’ve chosen to be my safety net.

call me crazy, but yeah, if you like it and recommend it I feel like it’s good. I guess it’s because you’re very diy and practical. You just care about results.

anyway, here’s a picture of the new floof that’s joined my tribe. Accept it as a distraction for my awkward compliment
B09A30F8-93D8-4D57-BAD5-10FDE5480689.jpeg

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very glad Hydros is working for you. If you are a fan it makes me all the happier it’s the system I’ve chosen to be my safety net.

call me crazy, but yeah, if you like it and recommend it I feel like it’s good. I guess it’s because you’re very diy and practical. You just care about results.

anyway, here’s a picture of the new floof that’s joined my tribe. Accept it as a distraction for my awkward compliment
B09A30F8-93D8-4D57-BAD5-10FDE5480689.jpeg
You have a beautiful pup. Be his master. Germans Shepherd/Australian is going to be a high energy, intelligent, single minded dog. Start training early. If you go namby pamby on them they will run you down. I have that trouble with Jill.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly this place is going the way of another forum I was on. There is no place for people that successfully keep fish without jumping through the required peer pressured hoops. Doing it in front of them makes you an anachronism that is tolerated but mostly ignored. Your presence causes their world view to divide by zero and crash.

Lot's of posts full of angst, death and disease. Few posts on the beauty and fun of keeping a reef tank. Zero posts that
further my knowledge.

Experts where the vast majority of their replies to people boil down to content less posts.

And yet this isn't a criticism of this place. It is one of the society we live in. Information was in books. Then it was on the internet. Now it's gone.

New people have very little chance of having a trouble free life in this hobby when basic terms like cycle and live rock no longer have a simple defined meanings.

I kept marine tanks hoping to get something wonderful from the sea and getting live rock was like a grab bag.
Now those things are not wonders but potential pest or parasites. Someone posts a picture of a stomatella snail or spaghetti worm that gets identified later and they reply they already destroyed it.
After our recent discussion on that other thread, I am glad to have found this post. Internet and social media sure have changed the way things are, and not for the better, in my opinion... I am glad I was born before the internet (albeit not by long...) so I know what the world was like before.
I wanted to stop in to let you know I agree and that I have appreciated so many of your posts on this forum.

...oh, and I don't think society will ever be bettered by everyone becoming more easily offended and not able to handle sarcasm. Not being able to understand the sarcasm is a bad reflection on our society, in my opinion.

You have some amazing tanks! I am pretty sure I saw your reefs on a different thread and really like what you have done here.
I particularly like the natural look to your tanks with your lighting choice. I never have been fond of overly-blue lighting.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a beautiful pup. Be his master. Germans Shepherd/Australian is going to be a high energy, intelligent, single minded dog. Start training early. If you go namby pamby on them they will run you down. I have that trouble with Jill.
guessing Jill has you trained fairly well. :cool:

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After our recent discussion on that other thread, I am glad to have found this post. Internet and social media sure have changed the way things are, and not for the better, in my opinion... I am glad I was born before the internet (albeit not by long...) so I know what the world was like before.
I wanted to stop in to let you know I agree and that I have appreciated so many of your posts on this forum.

...oh, and I don't think society will ever be bettered by everyone becoming more easily offended and not able to handle sarcasm. Not being able to understand the sarcasm is a bad reflection on our society, in my opinion.

You have some amazing tanks! I am pretty sure I saw your reefs on a different thread and really like what you have done here.
I particularly like the natural look to your tanks with your lighting choice. I never have been fond of overly-blue lighting.
Stupid people don't get humor or sarcasm. They immediately process things they don't understand as personal attacks and start calling you names.
This is my dream system. The dream had a lot of details. I got them all and am going beyond them now. I am tired of asking questions and getting diametrically opposing answers. I am learning by doing it.
Since this tank has been up I have done 10% water changes weekly, 20% weekly and biweekly, no water changes for a few months and AWC.
Now when I answer a question I have a very detailed response based on experience and not opinion.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guessing Jill has you trained fairly well. :cool:
We trained each other by mutual agreement. During our marriage she has been my boss at work. I have been her boss at the same place. If one of us doesn't see a way the other does.
Marriage is a skill and a good one is work. We did the work and have the results to show for it.
Usually we are told we are very lucky. Luck had little to do with anything in our lives.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid people don't get humor or sarcasm. They immediately process things they don't understand as personal attacks and start calling you names.
This is my dream system. The dream had a lot of details. I got them all and am going beyond them now. I am tired of asking questions and getting diametrically opposing answers. I am learning by doing it.
Since this tank has been up I have done 10% water changes weekly, 20% weekly and biweekly, no water changes for a few months and AWC.
Now when I answer a question I have a very detailed response based on experience and not opinion.
I'm still building my reef dream, and I am glad for every member here that can back up advice with experiences rather than opinion!

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the personal attacks always amuse me.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We trained each other by mutual agreement. During our marriage she has been my boss at work. I have been her boss at the same place. If one of us doesn't see a way the other does.
Marriage is a skill and a good one is work. We did the work and have the results to show for it.
Usually we are told we are very lucky. Luck had little to do with anything in our lives.
luck is as real as leprechauns.;)

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the personal attacks always amuse me.
It makes the Italian come out in me. I got warned several times because in a war of words on the internet I have nukes and they have pointy sticks. So they report me.
Now I just put them on ignore. I don't need to defeat people on the internet to build my ego. It was made long ago.
This place uses the internet clickbait engine to power itself. If you run people off it wont go.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would amuse me more if it did not reflect directly on the social state of our world...
I would suggest to you that the rot affects everything and there are key things like economics and technology that are a lot more important than the social state.
They got rid of God and brought in evolution. Then they started subsidizing survival of the leastest with public funding They destroyed public education and turned it into social indoctrination.
This cant be fixed but will collapse under it's own weight. Then people will start over and reinvent the wheel.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back