WVNeds's Tanks

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning on the Ned Sea. A small landlocked bit of salt water in West Virginia.

Change the light a few percent and twist the knob on the PP-8 and the cyano is gone.

I last did testing on 3/16/19. I have been adding nothing to the tank.
Change 22 gallons once a week, Scrape the glass twice a week.
I think flow and lighting matter way more than people think. Way more.
A healthy tank makes healthy fish. Even ones from Petco.

It seems way simpler than people want it to be.

Last edited:

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning on the Ned Sea. A small landlocked bit of salt water in West Virginia.

Change the light a few percent and twist the knob on the PP-8 and the cyano is gone.

I last did testing on 3/16/19. I have been adding nothing to the tank.
Change 22 gallons once a week, Scrape the glass twice a week.
I think flow and lighting matter way more than people think. Way more.
A healthy tank makes healthy fish. Even ones from Petco.

It seems way simpler than people want it to be.

Looks great. :)

I think some people want/need it to be difficult. I catch a lot of hell from people thinking my set ups are too simple .......which to them means I am going to fail. They don’t believe that it’s really not that complicated at the end of the day.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. :)

I think some people want/need it to be difficult. I catch a lot of hell from people thinking my set ups are too simple .......which to them means I am going to fail. They don’t believe that it’s really not that complicated at the end of the day.

If I perceived a need to do more I would. I think a lot of has to do with what you choose to put in the tank.

I have decided I am going to try running the 240 by doing a 80 gallon water change bi weekly.
I have enough salt here to make 800 gallons and 2 100 gallon stock tanks to mix/ store water. I am building a rack for them and the wood is cut.

At first I felt way out of my comfort zone. Then I decided to do it the way I have always done it.
6x flow in the sump. A big skimmer in a simple sump. Good lights and lots of flow. No filters and few chemicals.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for an upgrade.
I will now be able to do 80 gallon water changes.
IMG_0945%5B1%5D-X2.jpg

I need to make some lids.
I made some holders for the heaters so they don't touch the tank. Not sure I actually had to worry about that but it is done.

My next project is to strip down that wall to the right and move the electrical stuff in it. The 240 will be on the other side of it.

I have to build a sump. I think I am going to use another stock tank. A 50 Gallon and and the return section will be a 44 gallon Brute trashcan. I was going to use a 75 gallon tank. I havent made up my mind yet. I typically only use a 2 section sump. A stock tank and a trashcan is 2 sections.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank went without power for 10 hours due to a storm with large hail. Then we got a generator running. I ran the skimmer, return pump and heaters until the power came back on. There is some advantage to not pushing you bioload to the max. The tank got down to 73.3 degrees.

No damage done.

PunxatawneyAdam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank went without power for 10 hours due to a storm with large hail. Then we got a generator running. I ran the skimmer, return pump and heaters until the power came back on. There is some advantage to not pushing you bioload to the max. The tank got down to 73.3 degrees.

No damage done.

Just read through your entire build thread. Very Impressive. I live in St. Albans and have recently started my tank at my new house, this storm has pushed me to get a generator since we have some pretty serious volatility with weather unfortunately.
also, we make a monthly trip to columbus, as the LFS simply dont hold up to our standards. I highly recommend making the trip, as matt's corals and Reef Systems coral farm is well worth the trip

Last edited:
OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through your entire build thread. Very Impressive. I live in St. Albans and have recently started my tank at my new house, this storm has pushed me to get a generator since we have some pretty serious volatility with weather unfortunately
Well hello neighbor.
I am getting bids on a whole house unit. Had this happened in the middle of winter it would have been a disaster in more ways than just losing a fish tank.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somebody put this in a dumpster a long time ago. I got it back out and it was in our garage for many years. Yes, I am a dumpster diver. Your trash is my treasure.
It needed a new life and there I was. The bottom frame was broke but I fixed it.
I think it's going to get a 2 color paracord back and bottom. Yellow and green I think. I haven't decided to paint or stain it yet.
I found a round tuit on the internet recently and it has changed my life.
2019051311145200-IMG_0976-X3.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I took my Eye off the ball and my nitrates and phosphates are high so back on the Nopox and I will do a larger water change Wednesday.
I got buy for about 2 months on cruise control. I didn't even need to clean the glass Saturday.
I am feeding about 4 times as much as I was.The tank looks fine. Lots of snail sex.
There are about 200 in my tank but they mostly come out at night. During the day you will see 4-6.

I will seek a new balance.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back