WVNeds's Tanks

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ready to go
Cant wait to put stuff in it.

2019_07_25_0274-XL.jpg

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Grandchild project was a great success. They live 360 miles away so the trip is a bit wearing on us old people. Especially when we where up all night when the baby came. She was born at 3:46am so we didnt get to sleep until 5am.
Paige Marie
2019073108195936-IMG_3453-XL.jpg

Found an awesome reef shop 3 minutes from the kids house. Reef Keepers in Clayton NC. We don't have places like that here. Too soon to try and bring anything home except some rock.
So I have 60 pounds of CaribSea life rock shapes here. I ordered 80 pounds of regular life rock from BRS and 150 pounds of live rock from TBS. That gives me 290 pounds in the system. I figure the system volume is 330 gallons running.

The Jebao pumps came while we were gone so I put them in last night. Never too tired to reef.
I replaced the two Sicce 4.0s with two Jebao DCS-8000. I have them running at 72% and tuned the overflows. The way this tank is made it runs very full. It is easy to overpower the overflow intakes now and have water lapping on the top braces. I wish they where a bit lower.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Katrina71
I dont obsess over aquascaping. My wife handed me the pieces while I stacked them randomly. They lock together nice. It will all be moved when the other rock gets here anyway.
IMG_1175-XL.jpg

About 18 inches high by 30 inches wide.
IMG_1176-XL.jpg

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I have done 8, 20, 30, 56 and 75 gallon tanks.
Now it is time for the last one. 285 gallons. The one to grow old with until I cant do this anymore.

It's a conundrum trying to decide if I will hang all the stuff off the tank other people use like reactors, UV, algae scrubbers, dosers, ozone, ...........
or just set up to do a 100 gallon water change every week.

That is all I do now. I don't even do any testing now that it is going.
IMG_0739%5B1%5D-XL.jpg
Your tank looks great. I love all the colors.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is such a nice long tank, we see too many boxes, suppose thats the current trend. your sump design is slick you going to put rock or something in it?

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is such a nice long tank, we see too many boxes, suppose thats the current trend. your sump design is slick you going to put rock or something in it?
I always wanted an 8 footer. It was going to be 30 inches wide but I chickened out on turning the tank to get it in the house.
This might seem like a flippant answer but it was designed so I could put whatever I want in it. I may build an ATS as my next project. I am sure some rock will end up there.
This is what I am going to amuse myself with until I cant anymore.

I think a nice pink leather should be added.
Sounds like an excellent idea.
Im waiting on the real live rock ;Watching
So am I. They have already called me. May come next week.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far
Custom Aquariums 96x24x24. They call it a 280 but it's a 240
Custom Aquariums wood stand - a note here. There is no opening in my stand to get a large sump into it. The top and back are solid. 4 Doors on the front.
H2overflow from custom aquariums. I am using their Stealthbox with 4 1.5 inch drains. 2 are gated and 2 are emergency
2 Hamilton Technologies 4 foot Cebu Sun 4x 250wMH and 8 54w T-5
SRO-5000int skimmer
600 w of Eheim Heaters on Inkbird controller
2 Jebao DCS-8000 return pumps
2 Maxspect XF 350 gyres
2 Rossmont MX 4100 movers
Sump is a 40 gallon and 100 gallon stock tank connected together
I have coming 60 pounds of Caribsea Life Rock Shapes, 80 pounds of Caribsea Life Rock and 150 pounds of live rock from TBS.
ATO is an Innovative Marine unit using their pump.
With the side tank which is my old cube with a Viparspectra BB over it
I have calculated the system to be 330 gallons running.

as for the 75
I will probably remove the live rock to the big tank and put a few pieces of the Life Rock into it. It may become a crab tank. I have always wanted to keep a crab and macro algae.

Might as well do it.

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds like this is gonna be a great setup!

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80 pounds of Life Rock to go with the 60 ounds of Life Rock Shapes. Waiting on TBS now. They are going to collect some larger pieces for me. I have 150 pounds coming still.
I poured 16 ounces of FritZyme Turbostart in a few days ago. I have just been feeding the tank some LRS
to get it going. No nitrates yet
IMG_1209-XL.jpg

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping my rock shows at the airport tomorrow night. TBS asked and I said yes but dont have tracking yet.
I spread the stuff I have like this
IMG_1213-X2.jpg

I plan to spread the live rock over the top and sump pieces I don't like. Which may go right out the window when I see it.
Ammonia went up to 1 and back to zero and nitrates appeared so It should be ready to not kill what is on the rock. The skimmer settled in today and stopped being a fountain of foam.
There is bunch of algae growing already. Oh Noes.

It is interesting to note the algae in the big tank is pretty and green but the stuff in the small tank under the BB is ugly and grey. It's a Viparspectra with both channels running 90%. I have no idea why.

Rock is shipping tomorrow. They just emailed me.

Last edited:
Back