WVNeds's Tanks

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the water change done and cleaned the return pumps for the first time.
Every thing is running again. I flushed the sump with the NSW stream from the pump. It's snowing in the tanks.
IMG_2204-L.jpg

IMG_2206-L.jpg

I think I can say I am growing macro now.
IMG_2201-L.jpg

IMG_2202-L.jpg

IMG_2205-XL.jpg

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the ICP.
It has a few surprises for me but it's stuff I have seen asked about on here frequently.
Elevated tin and zinc. An old goober may have dropped a screw into the sump, more than one even. I think I also dropped a large washer into the back of the tank working on the light hangers I never found. I also need to check the pumps. I don't think it's a magnet though since none of the rare earth elements were high. Perhaps passing a magnet around the sump in the dark parts and see if it catches anything would be a good idea.

Some things are red because Triton doesn't want my levels where I want them. I am not trying to run Triton.

Low Bromine. I did a search and Randy says Meh about bromine so I haven't decided to buy the $45 dollar bottle of Triton stuff yet.

Iron is red, but Triton wants 0 and I am adding that for the macro algae. All the reading I have done says none is bad and too much doesn't matter. The Ferrion says to add 40 ml every other day and I am adding 15 every day. At 65ug/L it is too low or .065ppm when I want .1ppm. So I will go to
20ml a day.

My iodine is low and I will do something about that today. I do not have an Iodine specific additive here. I think I am going to dose Kent essential elements and turn up the doser for the TM trace 1 and 2 a bit. Many of the other trace elements are low normal so I think this is a good option.

My Po4 is .14 and Triton wants it at .018. I want it at .1 to grow macro and will keep doing what I have been doing which seems to be working. The macro is growing including the chaeto and I have started removing some. I think when I put the second BB light on the little tank it will boom.

SI is 1ppm and I am trying for .5-2 according to the Sponge Excel directions. No change indicated from 2ml/day

I am approaching where I want my PO4/NO3 to be and need to watch and not go to 0.
I am testing .1 and 25 so it's time to decrease the Nopox from 40ml a day to 30. This is tricky because the biopellet reactor is probably coming on line.

I have no idea how you add a pdf into a post but I attached it if anyone wants to see.

Doing the water change made no visible difference to me in the tank. Triton wants a 90% water change over time for the tin, so I will think on this a bit.

To some extent I am doing this to amuse myself and AWC intrigues me as much as no water changes do. Plus I would get to build a system to do it. I have run all my previous systems on water changes. It feels strange to not do them.

Except for the tin everything would simply require a bit of tweaking and continue doing what I am doing and retest in 6 months or so.

Gee, that's a lot of boring stuff but it helps me think.

Gratuitous fish picture from today

IMG_2216-L.jpg

They want food. I haven't fed them yet today.

With further reading my tin levels seem to be not that bad.
So I am going to do the dose tweaking and go on.

Attachments

• doc.pdf
    119.2 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I use ATI water tests and because they test your RODI as well. They just tell you where things are and give you suggestions I how to fix things that might be out of the norm, not their "method" of how things should be.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I use ATI water tests and because they test your RODI as well. They just tell you where things are and give you suggestions I how to fix things that might be out of the norm, not their "method" of how things should be.
The previous test I did was ATI. I thought I would try Triton this time. We did move but are still on the same water system with the same RODI filter. I am hoping my water is the same.

The trick seems to be look at what the test says, ignore all the Triton stuff and don't freak out at the red until you check into it.

Someone had a thread about high iron and I am dosing to a level much higher than appeared on his test. But it was red. Red bad fix.

I am only disappointed in my iodine levels and wonder if I am going to have to supplement that too.

I am kind of on my own with a few of the things I am keeping. I am adding extra iron, silicates and 1000mg of Vitamin b-12 every day in addition to the TM Trace 1 and 2.
One of the macros bleached overnight from the changes I made yesterday. Since I made more than 1 I have no idea which.
Just when you think you know what you are doing it bites you on the butt.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2-1-20
IMG_2205-M.jpg

2-10-20
IMG_2223-M.jpg

It's growing. I threw away another ball of chaeto.
I need to get the second light mounted over this tank.
I have fluconazole here. I haven't decided to use it yet. Now that the other macros are growing the bryopsis doesn't seem to be spreading.
Cyano is appearing in low flow spots again. Testing said I have 0.1-25 PO4NO3 yesterday. Which is where I want it.

Time to eat
IMG_2227-M.jpg

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered an MP60 last night. I suppose it was inevitable. I will probably end up with 2.
I have 2 MP40s running in anti sync. But when you think about it that is the same as having 1 mp40 running 100%. Not enough flow for a 240.
I guess my goal is 4 pumps controlled with Mobius.

I am going to play with a raspberry pi. It should come today with some relays and water level sensors and LEDs.
I kind of want to make an AWC that does 4-6 gallons a day. That way I could put the magic of water changes back into my system. I am going to try small pumps and measuring levels instead of dosing pumps moving water in and out equally. Turn ATO function off, pump water to the sink, refill with NSW, resume ATO function.
I think I got 8 relays and 6 level sensors to play with.

Last night one of the crabs presented me with the washer I dropped in the tank a few months ago, so I removed it.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
[...]
Last night one of the crabs presented me with the washer I dropped in the tank a few months ago, so I removed it.

The crab or the washer? :)

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The MP60 is in the tank. It is running in short pulse mode with both MP40 on the other end in anti sync.
It is not as powerful as I expected. I turned it down slightly to get rid of the rumble. Running it 100% in constant speed mode doesn't shoot water out of the tank or anything dramatic. I think the Ecotech estimator is way wrong. I still see me getting a second one and moving the MP40s to the back.

Some of the gorgs are showing low flow symptoms and I hope that goes away.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved the blue torpedo to the big tanks a few days ago. He is doing fine. It became impossible to feed the lion fish. The trigger would zoom across the tank and eat the shrimp while the lion was doing his wiggling sneak up and eat it thing.
IMG_2238-M.jpg

IMG_2243-M.jpg

I moved the zombie coral to the other tank. It has turned completely white. I tried higher, lower and shaded and nothing changed so I stuck it under the LED in the other tank. It has been white a long time and other than the color seems fine. It used to be blue.
IMG_2239-M.jpg

Baby ricordea? About 1/4 of an inch.
IMG_2247-M.jpg

Louie climbed up the porch screen and made it into the gutter below the upper deck. Then he couldn't get down. So I saved him with a ladder.
IMG_2248-M.jpg

He is laying on a dog towel right now, waiting.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how I've missed your thread until now. I love the amount of pics and the detail you put into your posts! Thanks for sharing.

It is also interesting that my lady and I watched Dark Waters last night and it reminded me of you. If you've not seen it, I highly recommend watching it. It's all about DuPont, the travesty and tragedy they caused in WV and how they were finally held accountable. Personally speaking, I still think DuPont got off very easy.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed a bunch more macro this morning. I tried sticking some in a clip.
IMG_2252-L.jpg

IMG_2250-L.jpg

They like it (this is the second clip full) so another source of live food appears. This stuff doubles in size every 2 days. Pulled out half the chaeto too.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The urchin took my veggie clip. I will have to get it back tomorrow.
IMG_2261-L.jpg

I stopped responding in the ich threads.
I am not managing ich. I don't do anything about ich. I don't think about ich. Or any of the other diseases.
Healthy fish kept in a normal healthy environment suitable for them don't get sick.
I don't disagree with Paul to the extent that any animal that is healthy has a functional immune system.
I think it's all in what you do every day. Keeping the system where it needs to be.
This only takes a few minutes each morning. Check the skimmer, manually dose a few things, feed the sump crab and the refugium. Pull out some Ulva to feed the big tank. I need to clean the glass every other day but sometimes I dont. Things eat what grows on it.
IMG_2263-XL.jpg

My fish seem to agree with me. I feed them a varied diet plus Selcon which is fish oil, b-12 and c.
I am also adding 1000mg of B-12 (2 tablets I pitch into the sump), iron and iodine.
I don't know how much goes into the food, but I know it goes into the tank and that puts it into the food chain.
The little angel is growing his tail back. This makes me happy. I knew it would.

You can make this very hard and stressful. I don't need that, so I don't.

I suppose I will get a butterfly of some kind next. I always wanted one. Like the eel, lion, angels and tangs.
The two spot in the 75 needs a new friend. He is not happy since I moved the trigger to the other tank. The lion has gotten to eat again.
I suspect my phosphates are going away. I will do some testing tomorrow to find out. I skipped last week.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the water testing is done.
Ca 420
Alk 8.9
Mg 1350
No3 25
Po4 0.1
I left the Nopox at 30ml a day and increased Ca and Alk 15ml/day to 295ml each.
I am happy with my additive package and placed a large order of big packages which makes it as cheap as it's going to get per day.
BRS Alk, Ca, Mag
Brightwell Ferrion, iodine
Tropic Marin Trace A- and 2 K+
Brightwell Sponge Excel
Walmart B12 tabs
I will rig the large bottle of Ferrion on the unused doser head when it gets here.
Off to bug Peace River about something...

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added 8000mg of fluconazole to the system. I have been debating it for a while.
IMG_2315_heic-L.jpg

Hopefully it won't kill the macro.
IMG_2314_heic-L.jpg

If it does I will try again.
I decided it would be better to get rid of a small amount now rather than let it become a real problem.
IMG_2313_heic-L.jpg

I put a second snowflake in the 75 gallon tank. He has gone into the bottom I built up with the bricks and is between them.
I need another fish in there since I took the trigger out. Something to swim with the 2 spot. He has become a bit reclusive. Something that won't eat the shrimp before the lion does and is too big for the eel to taste.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%

Back