WVNeds's Tanks

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's finished. It is what I want it to be. I have no further plans.
IMG_2862_heic-L.jpg

IMG_2863_heic-M.jpg

IMG_2864_heic-M.jpg

IMG_2865_heic-L.jpg

IMG_2866_heic-L.jpg

My last planned addition is another lion. An antennatta if I can find one.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's wonderful and it's wild!

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not quitting. I just don't plan on building any more. The realities of having some sort of brain rot are somewhat chilling on future plans.
I have an order to go get some blood work. It is supposed to be for esoteric forms of brain cancer. This is the second time because the first one didn't come back negative.
Perhaps I am putting it off because I don't really want to know.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not quitting. I just don't plan on building any more. The realities of having some sort of brain rot are somewhat chilling on future plans.
I have an order to go get some blood work. It is supposed to be for esoteric forms of brain cancer. This is the second time because the first one didn't come back negative.
Perhaps I am putting it off because I don't really want to know.

Get it done, I am currently ignoring possible skin C in a few spots, best to know so you can react sooner, get a victory back for you and plan! :)

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing thread Ned, thank you for so very much for sharing your adventures in aquaria. Your build is incredible and you are far more talented at writing than I suspect you will credit. But I digress...

keep on keeping on my friend!

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda had the stuffing knocked out of me.
Had a busy weekend. Grant and Morgan came from North Carolina and we had Paiges first birthday party Saturday.
It was a success. I made the cake.
i-VZ7JtwD-M.jpg
i-9fmHPW5-S.jpg

Bear got to play with little girls again.

We cleaned up and went to bed early.
Sometime that night
A filter sock I have on the refugium drain plugged up. It shot water over the side of the top tub on my sump system. The one to the right of the tank.
i-XJtH3S6-M.jpg

Just out of the frame was an extension cord that runs the 2 light on thew tank and the return pump. It was hanging in midair and not on the floor. The stream of water must have nailed it. The breaker tripped like it was supposed to.
So I get up Sunday and head down to the basement and it is quiet and dark. Not good...
Fish are gasping at the surface. The tanks are drained down.
So I go to the fish room. The sump is full because the tanks are drained down but nothing appears out of place but a bit of water in the floor. I try to reset the breaker. The breaker box is on the other side of the room behind a stack of Brut 40 gallon trashcans I have for an emergency.
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and blue arc light. Not good.
I go back to the wall and start unplugging stuff then I try to reset the breaker again. Same result.
Now I know what is wrong because the extension cord is on fire hanging there beside the sump. I unplug it, throw it in the sink and run water on it.

I reset the breaker again and everything comes back on but the fuge.
So I go make breakfast for the guests and see them off. Once they are gone I find new cords for the Viparspectras, replace the pump that runs the refugium and another extension cord. Everything is back on.
I have no way of knowing how long it was off.

Then I take Jeanna's stuff to Blackburg Va in my truck and we get her, Lucky, Kit, Olive and 50 plants moved into the apartment. I get home late that night.
Olive is now a student At Virginia–Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine.
i-zfgg4gW-M.jpg

7 fish are dead. All of the blue reef chromis, Lyretail anthias and my bicolor angel. I found them Monday morning laying around the bottom of the tank. They looked like little colorful plastic fish.

The tanks seem unaffected by the whole thing. I skipped feeding Yesterday. All the rest of the fish and inverts seem fine.
i-mpZ96MN-L.jpg

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda had the stuffing knocked out of me.
Had a busy weekend. Grant and Morgan came from North Carolina and we had Paiges first birthday party Saturday.
It was a success. I made the cake.
i-VZ7JtwD-M.jpg
i-9fmHPW5-S.jpg

Bear got to play with little girls again.

We cleaned up and went to bed early.
Sometime that night
A filter sock I have on the refugium drain plugged up. It shot water over the side of the top tub on my sump system. The one to the right of the tank.
i-XJtH3S6-M.jpg

Just out of the frame was an extension cord that runs the 2 light on thew tank and the return pump. It was hanging in midair and not on the floor. The stream of water must have nailed it. The breaker tripped like it was supposed to.
So I get up Sunday and head down to the basement and it is quiet and dark. Not good...
Fish are gasping at the surface. The tanks are drained down.
So I go to the fish room. The sump is full because the tanks are drained down but nothing appears out of place but a bit of water in the floor. I try to reset the breaker. The breaker box is on the other side of the room behind a stack of Brut 40 gallon trashcans I have for an emergency.
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and blue arc light. Not good.
I go back to the wall and start unplugging stuff then I try to reset the breaker again. Same result.
Now I know what is wrong because the extension cord is on fire hanging there beside the sump. I unplug it, throw it in the sink and run water on it.

I reset the breaker again and everything comes back on but the fuge.
So I go make breakfast for the guests and see them off. Once they are gone I find new cords for the Viparspectras, replace the pump that runs the refugium and another extension cord. Everything is back on.
I have no way of knowing how long it was off.

Then I take Jeanna's stuff to Blackburg Va in my truck and we get her, Lucky, Kit, Olive and 50 plants moved into the apartment. I get home late that night.
Olive is now a student At Virginia–Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine.
i-zfgg4gW-M.jpg

7 fish are dead. All of the blue reef chromis, Lyretail anthias and my bicolor angel. I found them Monday morning laying around the bottom of the tank. They looked like little colorful plastic fish.

The tanks seem unaffected by the whole thing. I skipped feeding Yesterday. All the rest of the fish and inverts seem fine.
i-mpZ96MN-L.jpg

What a weekend. Jeeze. Sorry for the fish you lost my friend, but I’m glad it wasn’t worse!

edit: you didn’t have any harm come to you with the electrical issues is my main meaning behind the above. Not trying to downplay the losses you did have

Last edited:
OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed a SmartAqua AWC/ATO on the system and it just changed 3 gallons. It uses 2 optical sensors and 3 pumps. I do not trust optical sensors so I plugged it into my Autotopoff ATO.

The Autotopoff unit has 2 float switches. If you remove a clip and invert the float it flips the logic of the switch. I flipped the bottom one. This makes the controller pass power to the plug normally for the ato pump as long as the water level is between both float switches.
So the New AWC/ATO will only work if water level is below the top float switch and above the bottom one on the
Autotopoff controller. If it goes over those levels it will be turned off.

Did my water testing today and it wasn't right. Some idiot (me) didn't get the doser plugged back in after the little disaster Sunday. I added some Alk to the system and put the GFO reactor online.

Doing all that has made Louie very tired.
i-npz8CWh-M.jpg

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a little strange. Everything is automated. I haven't gone into the fishroom this morning.
I guess I should.
I was worried about this guy. He looked kinda poopy for 2 days after the little disaster but I think he is fine.
i-MJkbTTC-M.jpg

i-kQLLRZB-M.jpg

i-GJTLwQ4-M.jpg

Got got a cheap frag and put it in the big tank. The koran ate it so no more of that.
I am puzzling over what to replace the 7 fish that died with. I expect adding certain kinds of fish now would be somewhat scary.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good. I ignored the acclimation instructions and did it the way I always do. A sand sifting star, 3 conchs and some 3 snails went in the big tank. Filler to get the free shipping.
As near as I can tell everything arrived fine in spite of the extra day. Blue Zoo packed them very well. It makes me super upset to have live things put in a box. It is my only option now.
Now to learn how to make sure each one gets to eat.
i-DT5f4ZL-L.jpg

I think my final answer is
The whole thing is completely amazing.
i-pd3JkH6-X3.jpg

and every day I get to get up and be amazed all over again.

I am very lucky. There was some skill involved too but God helps those that help themselves. If you don't play you can't win.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.2%
Back