WVNeds's Tanks

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gas stove here.
i hate cooking at mom's as she has electric.
I have had both. You cant get the electrics hot enough to do some things but I could never get the gas to go low enough to do other things. Fire is always the temperature of fire even turned to it's lowest setting.
If I want to flame something I use the grill now.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had both. You cant get the electrics hot enough to do some things but I could never get the gas to go low enough to do other things. Fire is always the temperature of fire even turned to it's lowest setting.
If I want to flame something I use the grill now.
A diffuser works great for this, put it on our smallest burner and diffuses the flame for great low cooking.;)

Like this

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ned glad you feeling better and got confidence to try cook new things .
I wouldnt say I enjoy cooking but I don't mind it and with living with my grandma when younger I was always eager to learn how to cook things with her,I always remember asking her how long to cook something for and her answer was always just keep checking it and when cooked its ready lol
So I can cook a few good foods but don't cook often enough to be honest and could do more but being in pain puts me off doing alot of things so need to keep telling myself don't think about doing stuff,just do it and deal with it as needed.

I think when I read all your thread the other month you said you had a sleep apnea machine ,I got one 3 weeks ago and took me couple weeks to have courage to wear it all night as when I wake up my hands/ arms are numb and takes 20 odd seconds to move them and even now if move head and seal on mask breaks ever so slightly then it just pushes continously air into my mouth so get scared I can't adjust it and will die as cant get rid of bad carbon dioxide gas ( I know bit over dramatic but honestly is a big concern if mine ) so often wake up and take mask off completely as scared like a little girl lol
Anyway glad your tank / family and your friends all ok,take care

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that the new med did not work out and you had to go through the awful process of getting off of it cold turkey. Glad to hear that you are doing better and that the tanks are doing well. Keep the updates coming. I always look forward to hearing about what you have going on. I appreciate your passion for your pets (both water and land dwelling) as well as the honest way you share your life, both the good and the bad, is an inspiration for us all.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ned glad you feeling better and got confidence to try cook new things .
I wouldnt say I enjoy cooking but I don't mind it and with living with my grandma when younger I was always eager to learn how to cook things with her,I always remember asking her how long to cook something for and her answer was always just keep checking it and when cooked its ready lol
So I can cook a few good foods but don't cook often enough to be honest and could do more but being in pain puts me off doing alot of things so need to keep telling myself don't think about doing stuff,just do it and deal with it as needed.

I think when I read all your thread the other month you said you had a sleep apnea machine ,I got one 3 weeks ago and took me couple weeks to have courage to wear it all night as when I wake up my hands/ arms are numb and takes 20 odd seconds to move them and even now if move head and seal on mask breaks ever so slightly then it just pushes continously air into my mouth so get scared I can't adjust it and will die as cant get rid of bad carbon dioxide gas ( I know bit over dramatic but honestly is a big concern if mine ) so often wake up and take mask off completely as scared like a little girl lol
Anyway glad your tank / family and your friends all ok,take care
I can cook almost anything I want these days. My son wants me to make turkey roulade when they come. for Thanksgiving.
1478376026700.jpeg

As for CPAP. I have been using it since 2014 and am on my second machine.

Sleep paralysis is a thing but it is probably caused by the same condition that makes you need to use the machine to breath when you sleep and not caused by the machine itself.

It takes a while to get used to a CPAP machine. You may need it adjusted, a different kind of mask, pillow or chin strap to make it work.

The machine isn't supposed to blow air through your head. What it is supposed to do is build pressure inside your throat and airways so air can easily move in and out while you breathe normally. It took me several months to get used to it and I switched to a nasal mask because I could never get a good fit with a full face one.

There are many many different kinds of masks for different kinds of sleepers, different head shapes and facial features. Finding one that stays without constant attention is important.

Depending on who set up your machine there are several options usually that can make it easier to get used to like flex settings, automatic pressure adjustments and pressure ramping.

My wife is on it too now. She fought with it for a while but you have to understand it is helping to make you sleep better and once you get it right it does.

Your other option which isn't one at all is to continue to suffer poor sleep, feel bad all the time and shorten your life. That is exactly what I told my wife.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A diffuser works great for this, put it on our smallest burner and diffuses the flame for great low cooking.;)

Like this

It was always my intention to put a hybrid gas/electric cooktop in this house. We have gas and I have under floor access to the kitchen. The tricky part tuned out to be the vent hood. We have a fake one and the mods to get a real one in and vented outside are a little more than I want to do with all the other stuff going on.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can cook almost anything I want these days. My son wants me to make turkey roulade when they come. for Thanksgiving.
1478376026700.jpeg

As for CPAP. I have been using it since 2014 and am on my second machine.

Sleep paralysis is a thing but it is probably caused by the same condition that makes you need to use the machine to breath when you sleep and not caused by the machine itself.

It takes a while to get used to a CPAP machine. You may need it adjusted, a different kind of mask, pillow or chin strap to make it work.

The machine isn't supposed to blow air through your head. What it is supposed to do is build pressure inside your throat and airways so air can easily in and out while you breathe normally. It took me several months to get used to it and I switched to a nasal mask because I could never get a good fit with a full face one.

There are many many different kinds of masks for different kinds of sleepers.

Depending on who set up your machine there are several options usually that can make it easier to get used to like flex settings, automatic pressure adjustments and pressure ramping.

My wife is on it too now. She fought with it for a while but you have to understand it is helping to make you sleep better and once you get it right it does.
Because this stupid covid,when I went for fitting the nurse got me try on mask and give me explanation on how it worked but said its pre- programmed and I can only change humidity setting and do a mask fit test on it and rest pre- set but it's got a pressure ramp up on it as starts at 4 and after about 20 minutes I notice rises ( guess give you time to get to sleep ) pressure or whatever it called set at 9.6 and I can't change that .and usually they get you turn machine on and help you adjust straps and stuff buy incase someone been I room with covid they can't turn machine on kind of thing .
Yeah it only early days and slowly getting used to it,but what scares me most is I got back troubles and back/ legs and hands go numb as
Sleeping and if mask seal breaks it continously pushes air into my mouth and takes me a bit before can move my hands so panic but sure in time I get used to it ^_^

Feel like a pilot jet with all face mask and straps everywhere lol.
Funny thing is I got the test machinery to see if had sleep apnea which did at home and they rang me back saying test stuff didn't fall off and test ok and said my score was 4.5 so stopped breathing 4.5 times average an hour so needed 5 to have minor sleep apnea then got called into different hospital to do exact same test but have sensors on legs to see if legs twitched and slept in hospital all night and
Went back in hospital few weeks later and said I had severe sleep apnea and on average stopped breathing for more than 10 seconds each time for 47 times per hour so gone from not having it to missing out minor and moderate sleep apnea to having severe sleep apnea so that was weird lol

But it's weird how brain works sometimes on something that meant to help me breath actually scares me so much so try have straps tight as possible so mask doesn't move but then scared if does so loosen mask but then moves more lol but I leaflets I read about pillows and nasal things so we shall see but thanks for bit of info you give me and rake care ^_^

Attachments

• 20211025_013220.jpg
    20211025_013220.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 20211025_013231.jpg
    20211025_013231.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20211025_013314.jpg
    20211025_013314.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 30
  • 20211025_013317.jpg
    20211025_013317.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because this stupid covid,when I went for fitting the nurse got me try on mask and give me explanation on how it worked but said its pre- programmed and I can only change humidity setting and do a mask fit test on it and rest pre- set but it's got a pressure ramp up on it as starts at 4 and after about 20 minutes I notice rises ( guess give you time to get to sleep ) pressure or whatever it called set at 9.6 and I can't change that .and usually they get you turn machine on and help you adjust straps and stuff buy incase someone been I room with covid they can't turn machine on kind of thing .
Yeah it only early days and slowly getting used to it,but what scares me most is I got back troubles and back/ legs and hands go numb as
Sleeping and if mask seal breaks it continously pushes air into my mouth and takes me a bit before can move my hands so panic but sure in time I get used to it ^_^

Feel like a pilot jet with all face mask and straps everywhere lol.
Funny thing is I got the test machinery to see if had sleep apnea which did at home and they rang me back saying test stuff didn't fall off and test ok and said my score was 4.5 so stopped breathing 4.5 times average an hour so needed 5 to have minor sleep apnea then got called into different hospital to do exact same test but have sensors on legs to see if legs twitched and slept in hospital all night and
Went back in hospital few weeks later and said I had severe sleep apnea and on average stopped breathing for more than 10 seconds each time for 47 times per hour so gone from not having it to missing out minor and moderate sleep apnea to having severe sleep apnea so that was weird lol

But it's weird how brain works sometimes on something that meant to help me breath actually scares me so much so try have straps tight as possible so mask doesn't move but then scared if does so loosen mask but then moves more lol but I leaflets I read about pillows and nasal things so we shall see but thanks for bit of info you give me and rake care ^_^
There are instructions to most things on the internet if you look.
My machine was set to 10 for pressure but I changed it to auto between 8-11. So it starts at 8 and increases it if it detects an event.
Flex makes the machine adapt to your breathing pattern and reduces the pressure when you exhale.
I could not wear a full mask at all. I wear a very small light nasal mask that only barely touches my face.
You can usually read how you machine is programmed even if you cant change it yourself. Then read the books you find online about your equipment and see what all it can do and see if any of the options look useful. There are forums about this stuff too just like fish tanks and reefing.

My best advice is to make yourself as well educated as you can. Expecting other people to do their job seems to be a mistake anymore.

On my first sleep study I had 87 events an hour. My blood oxygen was so low at times during the test that the next day oxygen was delivered to the house to use at night until they got my CPAP going.

After about 9 months I stopped sleeping like a dead person and returned to sleeping patterns I used to have when I was younger. 6-7 hours of good sleep is better than 10-12 hours of bad.

In fact the longer you try to sleep while you don't breathe the more damage you do.

I knew I had to make it work. Yes, I resented it at first, it isn't fair, it seemed silly, uncomfortable and annoying.
Then I got it right and it made all the difference in the world.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish this morning

Your tanks are just amazing! I love how natural they look!
The radiata(?) lionfish swimming in your video mid-water and the snowflake eels really add a lot to the visual appeal of your predator tank in my view.

In your 8' tank, what is this fish at the 13-second mark?
1635358767317.png

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tanks are just amazing! I love how natural they look!
The radiata(?) lionfish swimming in your video mid-water and the snowflake eels really add a lot to the visual appeal of your predator tank in my view.

In your 8' tank, what is this fish at the 13-second mark?
1635358767317.png

Clown tang
2021061615071244-1848921327454946686-IMG_3704-edited-L.jpg

IMG_3553-L.jpg

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i get to go get one on my kidney's next week.
no idear what they be looking for.
The contents of that last whisky bottle? A errant shot from your duck hunting buddies?

Hopefully, they find nothing but a healthy kidney or two!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back