OP
OP
mattdumitrescu

mattdumitrescu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do feel that going with a pack gives you less control on what you want in the garden. You will find that you will see so many frags that you want, but no longer have room for. If possible I would go to a show, though they are hard to find in the current conditions, to find the frags that will appeal to you.
I don't plan on buying any more packs but ill be hunting for sales or whatnot.I wanna take it slow though because my tank is still relatively new

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't plan on buying any more packs but ill be hunting for sales or whatnot.I wanna take it slow though because my tank is still relatively new
Thru the years I have seen so so many frags I wanted to buy, but didn't have the room because I bought so many frags from the get go. I am in the process of upgrading, and I still fight the urge to fill it quickly. You are smart to go slow and let your tank mature and pick and choose which corals you want. Tank maturity in itself can dictate the color of frags.

Did I mention I am a sucker for Blasto's, LOL!!!

Alanna102499

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I’m new too... Currently with COVID and where I live (just north of NYC) the frag pack or WWC monthly club at $99 isn’t bad from what I’m seeing. I know everyone talks about local reef clubs and social media etc but with what’s going on in the world I just haven’t had too much luck yet this route. Maybe I need to be more proactive.
In the meantime I have another WWC Monthly Club pack coming on Thursday.

OP
OP
mattdumitrescu

mattdumitrescu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya we all live n learn, I learned the way you did as well, and won’t ever buy a mystery pack again. I’d rather have a tank of stuff I hand pick because I like rather then stuff I don’t like and just have to live with.
yeah, I agree. but where I would disagree is with your delivery. the comment was since taken down but there are better ways to say that. I would recommend not keeping with that attitude because it doesn't help anyone. I was a goalie my whole life and I got thick skin brother, some people don't and telling someone new to the hobby(such as my self) that what they have was supposed to go in the trash bin is just childish and can create a bad connotation on the reefing community that allot of people spent there time on building up. But live n learn!

OP
OP
mattdumitrescu

mattdumitrescu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I’m new too... Currently with COVID and where I live (just north of NYC) the frag pack or WWC monthly club at $99 isn’t bad from what I’m seeing. I know everyone talks about local reef clubs and social media etc but with what’s going on in the world I just haven’t had too much luck yet this route. Maybe I need to be more proactive.
In the meantime I have another WWC Monthly Club pack coming on Thursday.
I feel ya brother. My LFS took advantage of the shutdown to remodel but they're a little behind and they will be closed for another month and I have nowhere to go except online.

OP
OP
mattdumitrescu

mattdumitrescu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thru the years I have seen so so many frags I wanted to buy, but didn't have the room because I bought so many frags from the get go. I am in the process of upgrading, and I still fight the urge to fill it quickly. You are smart to go slow and let your tank mature and pick and choose which corals you want. Tank maturity in itself can dictate the color of frags.

Did I mention I am a sucker for Blasto's, LOL!!!
Im looking to add a blasto, but my main focus is a frogspawn, more zoas and acans and then maybe some sps but we will see as we go and what room I have left

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking to add a blasto, but my main focus is a frogspawn, more zoas and acans and then maybe some sps but we will see as we go and what room I have left
Sounds like you already need to think about a bigger tank, LOL!!! ;Hilarious

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re looking to do a mixed zoa garden, there are lots of people willing to sell packs on here for a good bit cheaper than the frags individually. If money isn’t a problem then I’d definitely go this route as the people on here seem to have really nice stuff and zoas imo shouldn’t ever be more than $20 pp but they are sometimes and that’s that. A lot of sellers here also do free shipping at a certain price so I’d definitely look into that. Acans I feel like you should WYSIWYG them because they’re a little different. A JF Gobstopper looks the same from everybody, a ‘rainbow acan’ differs greatly between sellers, pick those more carefully.

IMO, WWC is a lot of pizazz. Very fun to order from but the corals are the same nO matter where you order from. The vender doesn’t matter, I get a lot of my corals from a guy out of his garage because I support locals and he takes good care of his stuff. Imo, you can get similar looking corals for a much better price other places if you look. That’s half the fun for me is running around the lfs looking for a good deal on a beautiful piece. Good luck with you tank!

OP
OP
mattdumitrescu

mattdumitrescu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re looking to do a mixed zoa garden, there are lots of people willing to sell packs on here for a good bit cheaper than the frags individually. If money isn’t a problem then I’d definitely go this route as the people on here seem to have really nice stuff and zoas imo shouldn’t ever be more than $20 pp but they are sometimes and that’s that. A lot of sellers here also do free shipping at a certain price so I’d definitely look into that. Acans I feel like you should WYSIWYG them because they’re a little different. A JF Gobstopper looks the same from everybody, a ‘rainbow acan’ differs greatly between sellers, pick those more carefully.

IMO, WWC is a lot of pizazz. Very fun to order from but the corals are the same nO matter where you order from. The vender doesn’t matter, I get a lot of my corals from a guy out of his garage because I support locals and he takes good care of his stuff. Imo, you can get similar looking corals for a much better price other places if you look. That’s half the fun for me is running around the lfs looking for a good deal on a beautiful piece. Good luck with you tank!
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it! Would u just look at the livestock forums to find sellers?

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey if you wanted variety and didn’t really know what to get it looks good! Nothing wrong with any of those corals.

I haven’t really like any of the stuff on WWC website but I’m lucky to call them somewhat local (2hrs) and their in store selection is super! Too bad you aren’t local one of the stores had an Acan section ranging from $20-100 per frag. Gorgeous pieces for cheap.

On another note try looking on your local OfferUp or even the for sale forums here you can find some stellar deals! I found a local on eBay that gives $100 frags for action starting at $10 usual doesn’t go higher than $40.

Starkrost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they’re beautiful! My first order was from WWC and was a mixed zoa pack. They didn’t look like much when they arrived but they’re colorful and spreading and I’m very happy. I’ve ordered from other vendors, too, and some were worse and some were better. Even if money is tight, if you like what you received, it is worth every red cent (and don’t let anyone tell anything else). Congratulations on your new little family :D

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly it's not a bad deal, given what you'd probably pay in the WWC stores. The acans are a good deal. It all really depends how they color up over time. I snagged one of those Goniastrea from their $5-10 bin a couple of years ago (let's call it 1.5 polyps, it had some damage) and the colors are nice and intense now, even in low light.

Give it some time. I'm sure you'll find a few in the bunch that stand out in your lighting after a few months. Bring the ones you don't like to a LFS or friend, and keep the ones you do. It's a process you'll go through a lot if you have a successful tank!

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the feedback, im still new to this and not really sure what stuff is worth. Im not mad tho i rather learn with these corals then other stuff. money aint a huge issue
Wow, you’re new and you went straight to wwc? I would hunt here, local forum and Craigslist’s. Usually their prices are at least double and up to 10 times.

Starkrost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But WWC always has colorful banners popping up and, especially if you’re new, they’re sure to at least make you want to look. But without a reference range, how would new folks know what’s a good deal and what isn’t?

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it! Would u just look at the livestock forums to find sellers?
Yeah I would, make sure you review the sellers by looking at their past threads. If you have a local club I’d check their first. And obviously, frequent your LFS, I usually go once a week, a day after they get shipments in. Retailers also sometimes have frag packs but they’re never nearly as good of a deal as the ones from the selling forums are. Good luck with coral hunting!

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But WWC always has colorful banners popping up and, especially if you’re new, they’re sure to at least make you want to look. But without a reference range, how would new folks know what’s a good deal and what isn’t?
Each corals are labeled with names correct? We have internet, copy and paste, it will show that the significant in price. Also, you can screen shot a picture from their site and ask here.

I recently sold a 6 heads yellow hammer at less than $70 a head which online prices now are at around 100-200 per head.

Wwc is selling it at $399.99 per head.

I just hate people being ripped off.

Starkrost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each corals are labeled with names correct? We have internet, copy and paste, it will show that the significant in price. Also, you can screen shot a picture from their site and ask here.

I recently sold a 6 heads yellow hammer at less than $70 a head which online prices now are at around 100-200 per head.

WOW!!! Thanks for the tip! :D

OP
OP
mattdumitrescu

mattdumitrescu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For me, it was just a very easy and straight forward way to shop for corals. I'll be looking local and on here though.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You’re one of the good ones sir. I’m in your boat. I’m selling Xenia colonies for $10 and WWC is Selling like five pulsers for $40 I really don’t understand how they can do that and sleep at night

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back