WWYD: Blue tang in QT with weird growth

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've had a few adventures with my blue tang in QT. he's in there with two other fish, and they've gone 2x round of prazi for verified flukes, and 30 days at full 2.0 copper power. Now, they're all ready to move over. EXCEPT - the blue tang has this really weird little bit of something sticking out of his....well, no way else to say this....anus.

I noticed it about 10 days ago. I tried not feeding for a few days - still there. I tried epsom salt - still there. I'm feeding melafix soaked foods - still there.

He's eating great, but he's decided to become a massive bully and is just going after the other two fish - who show no issues.

I'd like to move them over and let him work out his issues - but I"m worried about spreading internal parasites or something.

What would y'all do in that situation? I might could try putting a divider in there? But how long should I wait before I just shrug and let him go? He doesn't seem bothered.

OP
OP
bevo5

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi - sorry for the delay but it took a while to get some photos. THese aren't great.

They've been on metro+focus for a bit - but I'm not sure how much actually sticks to the food.

This bit is just a little brownish something sticking out. He's been eating for the past week no problem and isn't bloating up so I assume he's able to pass.

I can treat with whatever - but just wondering what opinions would be on moving the other fish into DT?

BLUE TANG BACK_V2.jpg

BLUE TANG BACK_V2.jpg

OP
OP
bevo5

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah it's white-ish/brownish. Little string. Normally I'd think that's internal parasites but it hasn't come out or gotten any different. And I have soaked food in metro for a bit now.

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to say it looks like poop with internal parasites. What kind of food are you adding the metro and focus to? I like to pre mix the metro and focus and then let a cube of mysis soak in garlic (Not fully submerged) with the metro/focus mix sitting on top of the cube until it dissolves. I add enough food to last a few days so it can soak in the garlic/metro/focus mix in the fridge. Seems to work well for me. How many days would you say you’ve been feeding? I usually go for 10-14 days feeding twice a day

OP
OP
bevo5

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Gotcha. I've been feeding reef frenzy. I drop in a scoop of each and mix it up in a tiny bit of water - not submerged. then I let it sit for an hour or two. I'd say I've done that once a day each morning for the past 5 days.

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah keep on it for at least ten days I bet you see it clear up. I’d keep him separated like you’ve got him until it clears up. (Which is what you’re already doing...)

OP
OP
bevo5

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Cool will do. I just put a big chunk in garlic with the med mixture. I’ll have enough for a few days. I guess it’s safe to assume the other two have issues. So I’ll leave them all in qt. ThNks for the help.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back