Wyoming white dirty tail clown “smooshed” face

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello I just got this dirty tail Wyoming white clownfish and I didn’t realize his face is like short? Or smooshed compared to my other clown. Will his face change as he gets older? Or do some clowns just have different face shapes. His face is flat

9ABE472F-B09D-412B-953D-9B9EBE4B63FC.jpeg

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seems like a birth defect due to inbreeding clowns
oh i didnt realize how it looked till i got him. In the tank i didnt see his face. I just liked his color a lot and wanted to pick him. All the other wyoming whites had the right face shape

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agreed, doesn't look natural. Does it eat okay? I have an ORA blue spotted goby with a deformed lower jaw that makes it look crooked, but he eats fine so I just live with my special guy.
I just got him few minutes ago just put him in the tank. He was with a local breeder. He has had these clowns for awhile he posted them last week. So im sure he was eating okay.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a clown with a crooked face for years. She just looked unique. She ate well, so it didn’t seem to bother her. It was just a birth defect. So I’m betting yours will not get better with time.
okay thanks i just hope hes okay and doesnt die from the birth defect. I never bought small clowns so I didn't know if maybe its jsut how they develop. I had a pair of clowns but the female passed away. Chcked water parameters every day for 2 weeks nothing was off. So i left the other clown by himself for a month now. Decided it should be okay to add another clown. All my other fish are healthy and happy I have no issues with them or my corals.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a clown with a crooked face for years. She just looked unique. She ate well, so it didn’t seem to bother her. It was just a birth defect. So I’m betting yours will not get better with time.
I think the female may have gotten stuck between a rock or something. I saw her dead in the morning and my clean up crew was already taking care of her behind some rocks. Still sad about it but i cant think of anything else that would have killed it.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay thanks i just hope hes okay and doesnt die from the birth defect. I never bought small clowns so I didn't know if maybe its jsut how they develop. I had a pair of clowns but the female passed away. Chcked water parameters every day for 2 weeks nothing was off. So i left the other clown by himself for a month now. Decided it should be okay to add another clown. All my other fish are healthy and happy I have no issues with them or my corals.
I think it would be a good idea to let the breeder know... one to put him on notice if he is knowing, but hiding the fact they have defects. Two, if he doesn't know, he may want to know not to breed that pair if its a common phenotype in their offspring.

The good news is that its likely several months old before getting to you and looks otherwise healthy (not skinny) so I am sure it has adapted to its condition.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think it would be a good idea to let the breeder know... one to put him on notice if he is knowing, but hiding the fact they have defects. Two, if he doesn't know, he may want to know not to breed that pair if its a common phenotype in their offspring.

The good news is that its likely several months old before getting to you and looks otherwise healthy (not skinny) so I am sure it has adapted to its condition.
okay thank you

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

i let him know and all he said his thumbs up lol so i guess he know what he was doing and sold me a inbred clown XD. Oh well i guess i gotta watch out with local breeders. Everyone recommended him so i figured all his clowns are safe to choose from.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i let him know and all he said his thumbs up lol so i guess he know what he was doing and sold me a inbred clown XD. Oh well i guess i gotta watch out with local breeders. Everyone recommended him so i figured all his clowns are safe to choose from.
lol, well you did the ethical thing. I say you go with @Sublime Corals and just tell people its a special edition! I'm sure you will love it like any other fish in your system once it is established.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not surprised. That means he’s in it for the money

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
he is a "special"clown..unique and yours!! agree w letting breeder know,he will live a long and healthy life ;)

Marten

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Near the Mt. that's Magic in Southern California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry that you were sold a deformed fish, you need to keep in mind that almost all designer clownfish are inbred. They can thrive in our tank and live a long life. Sorry that the breeder wasn't forthcoming of the fish or very helpful with your inquiry in regards to the face issue. And sorry for your loss.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
thanks guys. Ilike how he looks so i will keep him. I did let the breeder know which he is in it for the money i think since he didnt really care what i had to say. I told him i dont want to cause trouble i was just letting him know what others told me. Didnt seem to care at all and was like like okay. I will watch out next time and maybe i will order from @Sublime Corals

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since i have my clowns now. I know probably shouldnt but how do you get clowns to let the anemone host them?

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't want to force them into the nem. I was just curious on how people get captive bred clowns to host nems. Like just feed the anemone only or just over time they will find it?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back