Xenia and gsp not opening up

ribek gurung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i am new to this hobby. I ve recently introduced zoas, pulsing xenia and gsp to the tank.the gsp and pulsing xenia is not opening up however the zoas are doing fine. I ve noticed that my ph has lowered to 7.8. Is that the reason ?i have tried different light colours but they dont seem to open up. I will attach some pictures as well. TIA

image.jpg image.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Both affected by lack of water flow as well as needed low level nitrate and iron in their water
Neither favor bright lighting also

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your water parameters right now? Despite growing like weeds, I've found them to be my canary in the coal mine when it comes to parameters being off.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by different light colors ?

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must not be doing something right when you cannot grow the two hardest to kill coral on earth. Flow?lighting?Peramiters?I'd go do some research on keeping coral.

PandorasChalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new as well, and I found my xenia after arriving in the mail took 3-4 days to open and flourish. Put both down by the sand bed for now and wait, if what I have read sounds right. My zoas did fine out of the gate, but I'd start low then work up high on the gsp and the xenia.

OP
OP
R

ribek gurung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both affected by lack of water flow as well as needed low level nitrate and iron in their water
Neither favor bright lighting also
Its a 90l tank and i am running it on a canister filter and a wave maker as well. I dont think water flow is the issue. Nitrate is 0, ammonia 0.25 and phos 0.5

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its a 90l tank and i am running it on a canister filter and a wave maker as well. I dont think water flow is the issue. Nitrate is 0, ammonia 0.25 and phos 0.5
Phi’s slightly elevated and with canister nitrate will follow
What test kits are you using?

Uriken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that you have 2 corals that are showing distress tells me there is a piece to the puzzle that is out of whack. I know my Xenia was flourishing then all of a sudden it looked like a small ball with tiny polyps. Looking at my water I found my alkalinity was down with everything else still hanging in there. I made an adjustment and all my corals woke up really nicely accept for the Xenia. I then started to do some careful watching of what may be going on in the tank and then realized the coral next to them easily could be stinging the Xenia. At this point I moved it to the sand bed to recover. I would recover your PH / Alkalinity with a water change just as one suggestion.

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenias are super sensitive to ammonia and love nitrates. Have you recently added any fish? Is your tank still cycling?

Despite xenia growing like crazy, they're not incredibly hardy.

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light may be an important factor here. What kind of light is on the tank? Also, if your detecting ammonia and no nitrates, I have to assume that the tank is not cycled. When did you set the tank up?

OP
OP
R

ribek gurung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phi’s slightly elevated and with canister nitrate will follow
What test kits are you using?
Ap
The light may be an important factor here. What kind of light is on the tank? Also, if your detecting ammonia and no nitrates, I have to assume that the tank is not cycled. When did you set the tank
The light may be an important factor here. What kind of light is on the tank? Also, if your detecting ammonia and no nitrates, I have to assume that the tank is not cycled. When did you set the tank up?
Hi mate. The tank has been setup for 3 months now. I had nitrates and nitrite before but since i added fish the nitrate and nitrite has decreased to 0.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I asked about test kits as I suspected false readings which API is notorious for.
I would get a second opinion on water from a trusted LFS that does not use API kits for testing

OP
OP
R

ribek gurung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked about test kits as I suspected false readings which API is notorious for.
I would get a second opinion on water from a trusted LFS that does not use API kits for testing
i use api except phosphate and alkalinity which i use selifert

OP
OP
R

ribek gurung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that you have 2 corals that are showing distress tells me there is a piece to the puzzle that is out of whack. I know my Xenia was flourishing then all of a sudden it looked like a small ball with tiny polyps. Looking at my water I found my alkalinity was down with everything else still hanging in there. I made an adjustment and all my corals woke up really nicely accept for the Xenia. I then started to do some careful watching of what may be going on in the tank and then realized the coral next to them easily could be stinging the Xenia. At this point I moved it to the sand bed to recover. I would recover your PH / Alkalinity with a water change just as one suggestion.
I ve ran a airline tube outside the house from the skimmer hoping to raise the ph.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since your ammonia is elevated not much unless you have a skimmer, you can turn that off. After three months not sure why your tank has ammonia

Back