xenia dying 1st coral after cycle

jdubya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all - my cycle finished last week, everything tested 0, I did a 20% water change. I put in a frag of xenia that my friend gave me to see how it would do, it was doing well up until 2 days ago when it seems to be starting to die off slowly. First the little piece on the left went, now the right one in the picture, the biggest parts are doing ok but seems like just a matter of time.

pH around 8, ammonia/nitrite 0's, nitrates between 0-5ppm.

I have clownfish and CUC also in the tank, seem to all be doing fine.

image.thumb.png.2018e57d7bcca01a8ab78558ccbca4e8.png

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia’s seem to be hit or miss. Some tanks they thrive some they melt away. Can’t seem to get them to thrive in my established mixed reef. But have heard they like dirty water.

When I had Xenia in the past they seemed to thrive when I let my tank go a little bit. I think your tank is too clean.

OP
OP
J

jdubya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia’s seem to be hit or miss. Some tanks they thrive some they melt away. Can’t seem to get them to thrive in my established mixed reef. But have heard they like dirty water.

yeah that seems to be consensus from poking around other threads and forums. i wanted to pick up some other corals like euphyllia/mushrooms/zoas, would you recommend holding off awhile though or is xenia just finicky..

Jr'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From looking at the rock itself I’d say hold off until your rocks reach a nice dark mature color. This will tell you that the bacteria has colonized the rocks well and that your tank is maturing. This will also allow your tank to be able to handle and control random spikes in the tank more appropriately which will be better for your corals. I say hold off a bit

OP
OP
J

jdubya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tester corals.
It’s true. Sometimes they just don’t do well , Esp in Clean new tanks.

Any other coral?

No other coral yet, wanted to pick some up but seems like tanks not ready? though people mentioned tank might be too clean, i feel like that's a good thing for most corals?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides no3 and Po4 , there are a lot of other processes going on too.

When folks ask what’s a good starter coral , I don’t default to Xenia and softies. Those obviously are myths.
I reccomend the cheap corals.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah that seems to be consensus from poking around other threads and forums. i wanted to pick up some other corals like euphyllia/mushrooms/zoas, would you recommend holding off awhile though or is xenia just finicky..

Honestly I would wait, I personally am upgrading my reef to 150G cube which will be fish ready by Jan 1 (hoping) but I won’t transfer my coral until March. I want to let everything stabilize first.

Drewe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had Xenia die overnight for no discernible reason overnight, and it's always the small little bits on frags. I bought a much larger stalk of it, about 3 inches tall with 2 branches and drip acclimated it and it has been fine for months.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if that coral might benefit from a freshwater dip?

Dual40IM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful putting them in any tank. They will take over. If you do put them in once the tank matures, put them on there own separate rock. Don't ask me how I know, I learned the hard way.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful putting them in any tank. They will take over. If you do put them in once the tank matures, put them on there own separate rock. Don't ask me how I know, I learned the hard way.

I agree! Been there done that.

Drewe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup! So true. I have it in my tank but I'm very diligent about keeping it trimmed and in a super low flow area away from everything else. I like all the movement it provides but you've gotta keep it in check.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey all - my cycle finished last week, everything tested 0, I did a 20% water change. I put in a frag of xenia that my friend gave me to see how it would do, it was doing well up until 2 days ago when it seems to be starting to die off slowly. First the little piece on the left went, now the right one in the picture, the biggest parts are doing ok but seems like just a matter of time.

pH around 8, ammonia/nitrite 0's, nitrates between 0-5ppm.

I have clownfish and CUC also in the tank, seem to all be doing fine.

image.thumb.png.2018e57d7bcca01a8ab78558ccbca4e8.png

First - I've had Xenia do that - and be fine in a couple days. Second - the other piece looks pretty good. Hard to believe there is something 'in the water' or the 'lighting' with them that close.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wonder if that coral might benefit from a freshwater dip?
I dont think any coral benefits from a freshwater dip that I've heard of.. unless its a known worm of other infection - and even then - wouldn't ever do it

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i would wait i like to have corraline growing first before i add coral...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back