Xenia Frag Help

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey My name is Will and I just need a little help with my Xenia. I just got this frag yesterday and it wouldn't stick to the rock, so I glued it. I think the glue somehow got undone, and now he is in a hole. The hole isn't deep or anything, but I don't know if he will be safe there, or if I should move him.
Help of any kind would be amazing, I don't really know what I'm doing here haha. Thanks!

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey My name is Will and I just need a little help with my Xenia. I just got this frag yesterday and it wouldn't stick to the rock, so I glued it. I think the glue somehow got undone, and now he is in a hole. The hole isn't deep or anything, but I don't know if he will be safe there, or if I should move him.
Help of any kind would be amazing, I don't really know what I'm doing here haha. Thanks!
Hi Will, welcome to R2R! Do you have a photo of what we are talking about here? How deep is the little guy?

OP
OP
William Spak

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a photo.. would have uploaded it earlier but I couldn't figure it out... When he was at the store he had many heads. Since they are not showing, I'm afraid they may be being crushed by the rock.

Thank you so much for responding!

0.jpg

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry too much. Xenia is gorgeous but it can also be a pest -- it grows and spreads quickly. It will spread itself over that rock in no time. :)

You can try picking up the rock and gently try to shake it out, but I wouldn't worry about it if it is stuck there.

OP
OP
William Spak

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty.. one more question though, do you think that he is actually attached to the rock or is he just floating in the hole... does it matter?
Thank you so much for the help!

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty.. one more question though, do you think that he is actually attached to the rock or is he just floating in the hole... does it matter?
Thank you so much for the help!
Unless he's held with glue he wouldn't encrust that quickly. It takes awhile for a coral to attach on their own.

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thats fine... but he will attach right?
Eventually, yes, he will attach.
Since this is your first day here, there are two things you need to do next on R2R.
  1. Say "hello" on the meet and greet forum. Tell us a bit about yourself so we can get to know you, and we will say "hello" as well.
  2. Start what is called a "build thread" under the section for "member tanks". People here like to follow along with the ups and downs (we all have them) of your tank progress. Also...we like pictures. :)
If you ever have questions about being new to saltwater reef aquariums, post your questions under "new to saltwater aquariums". We have lots of veterans on this forum who keep an eye out for this section -- because they want to help. :) Here is the link: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/new-to-saltwater-reef-aquariums-post-here.130/

OP
OP
William Spak

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually, yes, he will attach.
Since this is your first day here, there are two things you need to do next on R2R.
  1. Say "hello" on the meet and greet forum. Tell us a bit about yourself so we can get to know you, and we will say "hello" as well.
  2. Start what is called a "build thread" under the section for "member tanks". People here like to follow along with the ups and downs (we all have them) of your tank progress. Also...we like pictures. :)
If you ever have questions about being new to saltwater reef aquariums, post your questions under "new to saltwater aquariums". We have lots of veterans on this forum who keep an eye out for this section -- because they want to help. :) Here is the link: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/new-to-saltwater-reef-aquariums-post-here.130/
Sure thing... thank you so much for your help.. it means a lot to me!

zoous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same thing happened to me. came off the plug re-glued it. next morning disappeared. thought i lost it. after a week found it attached to rock by itself.

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was anything but a Xenia, I would be concerned. Those buggers are like cockroaches. You might try to shake him out or carefully use a tool to pop him out. You might damage a polyp or two, but he will recover quickly.

OP
OP
William Spak

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was anything but a Xenia, I would be concerned. Those buggers are like cockroaches. You might try to shake him out or carefully use a tool to pop him out. You might damage a polyp or two, but he will recover quickly.
What should I do with him once he is out of there?

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should I do with him once he is out of there?
Use a rubber band and rubber band the whole thing to a piece of rock.

You really don't need to worry about if it's fragile or not. It's probably the one of the most hardy that you can get. To put it in perspective for you, I purposely tried to kill all of mine off because it's stupid invasive...and I literally couldn't. I had to pull apart rockwork.

I'd put it on it's own piece of rock far away from anything else or it will take over your tank in 6 months.

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a rubber band and rubber band the whole thing to a piece of rock.

You really don't need to worry about if it's fragile or not. It's probably the one of the most hardy that you can get. To put it in perspective for you, I purposely tried to kill all of mine off because it's stupid invasive...and I literally couldn't. I had to pull apart rockwork.

I'd put it on it's own piece of rock far away from anything else or it will take over your tank in 6 months.
+1 -- I was just typing up the same thing about placing it on its own rock. Seriously...it spreads.

OP
OP
William Spak

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just re glued him to the rock... hopefully he stays this time!
Would it be okay if I ask another question here? Or should I make a different thread... its about my duncan coral.. you can sort of see him in one of the photos, he hasn't been out in a while.. maybe he's just stressed?
Regardless thank you guys so much for the help!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back