Xenia is melting away but Kenya Tree, Gorgonians, Zoas, Shrooms are rocking. Has this happened to anyone?

chousecat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I got a mixed reef and noticed that the last month my isolated colony of Xenias have been shrinking away and away. However, my two Kenya Trees, Zoas, Shrooms, and Gorgonians are doing great/growing.

Has this happened to anyone? I always thought Xenias were bullet proof lol.

Parameters:
Alk: 9.6, Calc: 460, Mag: 1350, Nitrate : 10, Phosphate : .10, Salinity: 1.025.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure why, but up until about 5 months ago I couldn't keep xenia in my tank for the same reason - they just melted away. I don't know what changed, but I got a freebie pulsing and suddenly my tank decided to allow them to live.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be the Kenya Tree. They play dirty with chemical warfare. Mine took out several large colonies of others softies. Once I removed the Kenya from my tank all was good.

Floreeef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Kenya tree and Xenia and they are playing nice for months now. I just recently started running chemipure elite and noticed the Xenia started to melt away. All other corals are doing fine. Not sure why.

Floreeef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phosphates use to be around 0.5 to 0.75 before I started using chemipure elite. Now it is steady at 0.1. Maybe i'll switch to chemipure blue only and see if they will come back.

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago, I had a xenia and cespitularia that started to "melt" away. I was at a loss as other corals were fine. Turned out my refractometer was off and I needed new calibration fluid. The calibration fluid I had was about a year old. After calibrating with new fluid, found my SG was at 1.023. brought it back up to 1.026 and both corals survived.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 167 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.0%
Back