Xenia stressed out?

Gianluca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am rather new to reefing and I bought a Xenia as my first coral. I bought it two days ago and it perked up immediately after I put it in the tank to my surprise. However today I made my flow too strong, after realizing it was two strong (2 hours later). I turned it off but my Xenia is still is a Grey color instead of its usual pink. Is this normal? And if so, how long does it take to bounce back?

image.jpg

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia can pretty much live through anything. I throw gobs of it away every month. Be careful where you place it. It can be a really cool addition but can take the tank over in a hurry. It might just be adjusting to your tank (water parameters, lighting, flow) it’s not picky but mine does best in low light, low flow, higher nitrates. If it gets deflated and sags and shrivels up you might have a problem. But at that point you’ll have something pretty far off.

OP
OP
Gianluca

Gianluca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved it to the lower part of the tank where there is less flow and it perked right up, thank you so much for the help
Xenia can pretty much live through anything. I throw gobs of it away every month. Be careful where you place it. It can be a really cool addition but can take the tank over in a hurry. It might just be adjusting to your tank (water parameters, lighting, flow) it’s not picky but mine does best in low light, low flow, higher nitrates. If it gets deflated and sags and shrivels up you might have a problem. But at that point you’ll have something pretty far of

OP
OP
Gianluca

Gianluca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia is pretty indestructible as said, they also stop pulsing if you have them in higher flow because they use that motion to exchange nutrients in the water. If the flow is doing it for them they stop.
Good to know, mine is pulsing a little now. any recommendations on other beginner corals?

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with @Brooke24, be careful with any soft corals though. They can take over a tank really quickly, especially Xenia and GSP. You might get to the point where you want to upgrade to LPS and SPS, but your rock work will be covered in softies. So if I were you I would isolate them somewhere where they cant spread too much or you could remove them quickly if you wanted to change. Same goes for zoa's, but they were my first coral. Mushrooms are another good starter, but also will take over rock work.

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with @Brooke24, be careful with any soft corals though. They can take over a tank really quickly, especially Xenia and GSP. You might get to the point where you want to upgrade to LPS and SPS, but your rock work will be covered in softies. So if I were you I would isolate them somewhere where they cant spread too much or you could remove them quickly if you wanted to change. Same goes for zoa's, but they were my first coral. Mushrooms are another good starter, but also will take over rock work.
Agree. This could also be a way to make some money back, though. You could sell and frag some of the fast growing softies for extra cash for more coral/ whatever Else

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms are an easy one too. Kenya tree, palys/zoas, anthelia, They are all soft coral though and can take over pretty quick. Unless you buy a $500 mushroom to cultivate and then it can’t grow fast enough.

OP
OP
Gianluca

Gianluca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all great advice! thank you so much, to stop rapid spread should I place them in the sand or in isolated rocks that are in the sand? or do I just remove them from rocks if they spread too much?

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all great advice! thank you so much, to stop rapid spread should I place them in the sand or in isolated rocks that are in the sand? or do I just remove them from rocks if they spread too much?
Whatever rock they are on, they will completely cover. Put them on an isolated rock, unless you don’t care that they spread very quickly. Like I said, if you don’t want to do that, you could always frag them and sell them to local fish store for extra cash. You can’t really stop them from spreading, since it’s just in their nature

Hectorg214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia can pretty much live through anything. I throw gobs of it away every month. Be careful where you place it. It can be a really cool addition but can take the tank over in a hurry. It might just be adjusting to your tank (water parameters, lighting, flow) it’s not picky but mine does best in low light, low flow, higher nitrates. If it gets deflated and sags and shrivels up you might have a problem. But at that point you’ll have something pretty far

Xenia can pretty much live through anything. I throw gobs of it away every month. Be careful where you place it. It can be a really cool addition but can take the tank over in a hurry. It might just be adjusting to your tank (water parameters, lighting, flow) it’s not picky but mine does best in low light, low flow, higher nitrates. If it gets deflated and sags and shrivels up you might have a problem. But at that point you’ll have something pretty far off.
Next time ur going to throw some xenia away let me know. My wife loves that coral but can't really find it.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back