xenia vs. zoa

sihaya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure this has probably been brought up before, but I did a search and couldn't easily find it...

I have ugly, annoying xenia overgrowing some of my zoanthids. I've tried killing the xenia with a NaOH/kalk mix. It helped to some degree, but a few weeks later the xenia still keep coming back.

Any suggestions?

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you cant pull rock out and manuly pull it off id try injecting with joe's juice or see about some xenia nudabranch if it possible to get some.

OP
OP
sihaya

sihaya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, but honestly... I can't even get Joe's Juice to kill my aiptasia. Maybe I'll try the Blue Life stuff... Have you tried ever this? I know it at least works for aiptasia.

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what type of xenia is it? this is sorta backwards, but you kno how they are suppose to be indicator of bad water quality? put'em in a tank with high nitrate/ammonia...lol. chances are your zoas will survive and xenia will wither away. also, i've had luck with xenia colonies receding away under high high water flow, but that differs depending on the species.

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yumas kill off xenia so for the most part I don't have to worry about the xenia taking over when it's near any of my yumas :)

OP
OP
sihaya

sihaya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what type of xenia is it? this is sorta backwards, but you kno how they are suppose to be indicator of bad water quality? put'em in a tank with high nitrate/ammonia...lol. chances are your zoas will survive and xenia will wither away. also, i've had luck with xenia colonies receding away under high high water flow, but that differs depending on the species.

Well, actually, you might be right. But it's not that the xenia are growing all that fast... it's more WHERE they are growing that's the problem. They're getting all in-between and over the zoanthids. They're not all over the tank.

As for water flow... I have a Tunze and 2 maxijets in a 65g. They don't seem to mind a bit. lol

OP
OP
sihaya

sihaya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah... I didn't intentionally put these xenia in my tank. They came in as a "hitchhiker" on the zoas. :(

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back