XR15 G5 Blue on WaterBox Frag Intensity

The AP Tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a WaterBox frag 105.4 which is 16” deep and 48” long. I have two XR15 G5 Blues and I was wondering if anyone has experience with a similar setup? I’m wanting to do a mixed reef, for SPS corals it wouldn’t be anything too difficult.

What do you recommend for overall intensity and schedule intensity? I had a watermelon psammo get bleached that was halfway up the tank when the units were set to the AB+ at 50% schedule intensity.

In the tank I currently have a goni, hammer, torch, zoas, and an acan near the bottom and everything’s doing well but the acan. The acan was very full then I adjusted the light after the psammo got fried and it closed up a bit. On top of the rock (barely over halfway up) I have a red cap montipora and a green eggs and ham montipora.

I’m currently running 35% intensity at 100% schedule. I’m trying to get my hands on a PAR meter but in the meantime, is 35% good? Or should I try to bump it up?

Last edited:

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d suggest a PAR meter... but I run my point intensity at 100% across all channels, and the schedule intensity at 25%. The default “schedule intensity for ab+” defaults to 50%, but that was too powerful. I watched a BRS video in which they did a par check on these lights and recommended the intensity settings for mixed, LPS and SPS tanks. For LPS on a 60 gal cube they said 20% schedule with all at 100%. For sps I think they recommended 35% schedule with all channels at 100%...? But don’t quote me. Your tank is also not as deep so the schedule intensity may need to adjust further. Are you also using the RMS mounts 9” off water?

OP
OP
T

The AP Tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d suggest a PAR meter... but I run my point intensity at 100% across all channels, and the schedule intensity at 25%. The default “schedule intensity for ab+” defaults to 50%, but that was too powerful. I watched a BRS video in which they did a par check on these lights and recommended the intensity settings for mixed, LPS and SPS tanks. For LPS on a 60 gal cube they said 20% schedule with all at 100%. For sps I think they recommended 35% schedule with all channels at 100%...? But don’t quote me. Your tank is also not as deep so the schedule intensity may need to adjust further. Are you also using the RMS mounts 9” off water?
Yes, I do have the RMS mounts. I am trying to get a PAR meter from one of my local clubs to test out but was curious what others were doing in the meantime.

Lokipsl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running an xr30 blue with rms mount over a 12” deep tank. All channels set at 100% for the first three hours at 23% overall intensity, after that the white, red, and lime channels get reduced while the overall intensity bumps up to 25%. I have no par meter measurements but nothing seems to be stretching for more light with sps frags starting to encrust after a couple of weeks of being introduced.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%

Back