Xr30w g4 or xr30w g4 pro

Ash321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a little help ! Do i go Radion xr30w or xr30w pro. Tank is 35.5 " x 19.5"

Ecotech say the pro as it will give better coverage but it alot more money will 1 non pro do the job? Planning on mainly sps higher level.

What do you guys think?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 if you go SPS.

Wirat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Ash. I have one xr30w Pro g4 mounted 12 inches above the water over a 36" tank and I get a good amount of light anywhere I want it. I grow sps on the top rocks very well and havent had problems with anything else. However, on a 36 inch tank, you will get some shadowing depending on how your rock structure is formed.
IMG_1477.JPG

Here is a rough idea of the PAR I am getting. Keep in mind this is only at 70% intensity and I have since been raising incrementally to have more light available for the corals who need it. You can get away with one having a similar setup as mine, but in reality if your rock structure is not tapered off as shown in the sketch, you will have a hard time growing SPS in other spots than the middle. Having a shallow tank (40g breeder @16" depth) is also helpful as I can raise the light up higher and still get good penetration.

Now back to your question.... I personally have only used the g4 pro and cannot really speak for the non-pro version. The pro offers phenomenal colors and like all radions, has an excellent user interface to work with. It would also be worth looking into getting 2 radion xr15 pro's and you will get less shadowing and would be better for a more pillar like design. I would recommend going with the pro version for the little extra PAR boost (no evidence to back up but generally more LED's=more PAR).

People may disagree, but eBay has an abundance of radion's for really good prices. People are always coming in and out of the hobby and there are a ton of deals in other places than the retail stores. Just be patient and a deal will eventually come.

Best of luck.

OP
OP
Ash321

Ash321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Ash. I have one xr30w Pro g4 mounted 12 inches above the water over a 36" tank and I get a good amount of light anywhere I want it. I grow sps on the top rocks very well and havent had problems with anything else. However, on a 36 inch tank, you will get some shadowing depending on how your rock structure is formed.
IMG_1477.JPG

Here is a rough idea of the PAR I am getting. Keep in mind this is only at 70% intensity and I have since been raising incrementally to have more light available for the corals who need it. You can get away with one having a similar setup as mine, but in reality if your rock structure is not tapered off as shown in the sketch, you will have a hard time growing SPS in other spots than the middle. Having a shallow tank (40g breeder @16" depth) is also helpful as I can raise the light up higher and still get good penetration.

Now back to your question.... I personally have only used the g4 pro and cannot really speak for the non-pro version. The pro offers phenomenal colors and like all radions, has an excellent user interface to work with. It would also be worth looking into getting 2 radion xr15 pro's and you will get less shadowing and would be better for a more pillar like design. I would recommend going with the pro version for the little extra PAR boost (no evidence to back up but generally more LED's=more PAR).

People may disagree, but eBay has an abundance of radion's for really good prices. People are always coming in and out of the hobby and there are a ton of deals in other places than the retail stores. Just be patient and a deal will eventually come.

Best of luck.
Thank you for the in depth reply and the par very helpful! I think 2 of the xr15 would give me the most spread but then again more cost two brackets also. Il include a pic of my tank i have two pillars at present!
20180805_185720.jpg

OP
OP
Ash321

Ash321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 if you go SPS.
Im not completely against the idea of going back to t5 but they are abit old hat they get hot use more elctric then u have to keep switching out the bulbs! Altho that being said what is the difference from a cheap t5 unit and say a expensive ati one?

Wirat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're into DIY projects, I made this light stand out of a bed frame someone was throwing away on craigslist. Chopped it up and welded them together, then painted it with the same paint I used for my back glass. There are a ton of ways to make a nice one yourself you just have to be creative :)
IMG_1574.JPG

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to list a few options to consider. 1: 1 V4 orphek Atlantic, 2: 1 radion gen 4 or find a used gen3 non pro and aquatic life t5 hybrid. 3: 2 gen 4 xr15 pro or used gen 3 pro. 4: As already mentioned T5.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank dimensions are 35.5 x 23.5 so just a little bit deeper then yours.
I started out with two older xr30s that I had not being used, then I went to two G4 xr15s, then added a 3rd G4 xr15.
Adding the 3rd fixture allowed me to turn down the intensity of the fixtures. I found that when there was only the 2, I had to go full 100%.
I'd say in your situation, I would go with two xr15s rather then a single xr30 and pro vs non pro because you are planning minimum amount of fixture/fixtures and you can spread the 2 clusters vs a single fixed xr30.

OP
OP
Ash321

Ash321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the suggestions really appreicate it! I did look at the orphek and the philips coral care but im thinking il probally buy a radion(s) on interest free credit and radion is the only one i can get that on in the uk that iv seen.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the suggestions really appreicate it! I did look at the orphek and the philips coral care but im thinking il probally buy a radion(s) on interest free credit and radion is the only one i can get that on in the uk that iv seen.
I would go with 2 xr15 then and add a 3rd down the road if needed. I added the diffuser to my xr30s and love them.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not completely against the idea of going back to t5 but they are abit old hat they get hot use more elctric then u have to keep switching out the bulbs! Altho that being said what is the difference from a cheap t5 unit and say a expensive ati one?

You said it already, cheap t5’s!
Many the heat will be higher as results your bulbs need to be replace more often, light spread due by the reflectors in the unit, ballast grades as the ATI or Giesemann just to name a few will last you a long time.
But for me was a overall better look of the tank appearance, growth of SPS.

OP
OP
Ash321

Ash321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said it already, cheap t5’s!
Many the heat will be higher as results your bulbs need to be replace more often, light spread due by the reflectors in the unit, ballast grades as the ATI or Giesemann just to name a few will last you a long time.
But for me was a overall better look of the tank appearance, growth of SPS.
So other than the heat of the bulb these really expensive t5 units dont offer anything different from say any other t5 unit im betting an industrial t5 fitting would be pretty decent quality. My brother is an elcectrican would be interesting to test one. Then ofc good quality bulbs o_O

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So other than the heat of the bulb these really expensive t5 units dont offer anything different from say any other t5 unit im betting an industrial t5 fitting would be pretty decent quality. My brother is an elcectrican would be interesting to test one. Then ofc good quality bulbs o_O

Knock yourself out, let’s see if you get the same results.
BF825531-7C2B-41B6-AE23-428FE7FCA06A.jpeg
8EDB3B7F-77B2-46B0-BD2A-158599857F35.jpeg
5E95F066-8D47-433B-9C58-FA054344F42D.jpeg

OP
OP
Ash321

Ash321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knock yourself out, let’s see if you get the same results.
BF825531-7C2B-41B6-AE23-428FE7FCA06A.jpeg
8EDB3B7F-77B2-46B0-BD2A-158599857F35.jpeg
5E95F066-8D47-433B-9C58-FA054344F42D.jpeg
Ur tank is lovely! Just curious to how much these companies charge for a farly simple piece of equipment. I remember a 4x t5 unit was less than a £100 when i previously kept marines. The ati unit cost more than leds which seems crazy to me. Halide is a good example pretty cheap have fantastic results but costs a fortune to run.

All said ur tank blows me away hopefully one day i can keep something even close to that!

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot of time a research in the development of the lights for what works and what not.
I used to run 5 radions over this tank from the gen1 up to gen3 pro nothing beats a well designed T5 unit.
If you talking about cost......... you’re in the wrong hobby.

OP
OP
Ash321

Ash321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot of time a research in the development of the lights for what works and what not.
I used to run 5 radions over this tank from the gen1 up to gen3 pro nothing beats a well designed T5 unit.
Na not really mate im hard working self employed with a mortage and baby to look after ! I save money where i can in all aspects of my life im not wealthy but my family wants for nothing iv been in this hobby for over 12 years. Dont have to have a tank as massive as yours ! Or as expensive !

Savo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What T5's are you using? I'm new to the hobby and have only used Radion and Kessils

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back