Y'all weren't kidding about that dead snail smell...

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days ago I picked up a couple of trochus snails for my QT tank. Both to keep it cycled and it needs a good cleaning. After acclimation I tossed them in and a few hours later noticed that 3 of the 4 of them hadn't moved at all. Furthermore, I could move them around easily. That is, they hadn't grabbed on to the glass yet. I also noticed that 1or 2 of them were fairly receded into their shell. I was hoping maybe they were just in a bit of shock after moving from the LFS tank to being acclimated to being in my tank, so I gave them a few days. Checking online, I read that one of the ways to tell if they're dead is that they'll smell awful.
Well, today, they still haven't moved other than being blown around by the powerheads, so I decided to get rid of them. As soon as I pulled them out of the tank the room smelled like a wharf. Or, since I live on a great lake and not the ocean, it smelled like one of those days when the beach is littered with hundreds of dead fish. Blegh. Welp, I tossed them and took the garbage out right away.
I wonder if that has anything to do with why the tank has been so cloudy. I mean, there's a ton of "fluffy", loosely attached algae in there that any time I screw around with it, it gets cloudy, but it normally clears up after a few hours or a day. Not this time though.

Oh well, I'll do a partial water change tomorrow and get some new snails. I'm hoping, but I have my doubts that the other LFS has some trochus snails, otherwise I'll go back to the same place, but (not knowing if they died in my tank or were DOA) I'll make sure they grab some that are on the side walls. I assume that means they're more likely to be alive. Part of me wonders if the guy grabbed ones of the bottom that were 'easier' to remove...since they were dead and not gripping the glass.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days ago I picked up a couple of trochus snails for my QT tank. Both to keep it cycled and it needs a good cleaning. After acclimation I tossed them in and a few hours later noticed that 3 of the 4 of them hadn't moved at all. Furthermore, I could move them around easily. That is, they hadn't grabbed on to the glass yet. I also noticed that 1or 2 of them were fairly receded into their shell. I was hoping maybe they were just in a bit of shock after moving from the LFS tank to being acclimated to being in my tank, so I gave them a few days. Checking online, I read that one of the ways to tell if they're dead is that they'll smell awful.
Well, today, they still haven't moved other than being blown around by the powerheads, so I decided to get rid of them. As soon as I pulled them out of the tank the room smelled like a wharf. Or, since I live on a great lake and not the ocean, it smelled like one of those days when the beach is littered with hundreds of dead fish. Blegh. Welp, I tossed them and took the garbage out right away.
I wonder if that has anything to do with why the tank has been so cloudy. I mean, there's a ton of "fluffy", loosely attached algae in there that any time I screw around with it, it gets cloudy, but it normally clears up after a few hours or a day. Not this time though.

Oh well, I'll do a partial water change tomorrow and get some new snails. I'm hoping, but I have my doubts that the other LFS has some trochus snails, otherwise I'll go back to the same place, but (not knowing if they died in my tank or were DOA) I'll make sure they grab some that are on the side walls. I assume that means they're more likely to be alive. Part of me wonders if the guy grabbed ones of the bottom that were 'easier' to remove...since they were dead and not gripping the glass.

I know snails are generally only a couple bucks, but I would mention this to your LFS even if they don't replace them they should should hopefully give you a discount on replacements.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back