Yasha Goby not doing good

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, about a week ago I bought a yasha goby at my store and he has been doing good until today, he has been eating and even earlier today he did, but I noticed later in the day he was swimming around and not on the sandbed like he normally was, then the verticle swimming, then the plunging his head into a rock to "hide" possibly but looking like the flow was getting the best of him aswell as having a harder time staying upright. Just a few minutes ago my fire shrimp was grabbing him, I got him out and put him into my breeder box, he is on his side slowly but heavily breathing, fins are damaged as well and the slight possibility of a little faded coloration where the stripes are. Any thoughts? all my other fish are fine and I don't know what to do.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, about a week ago I bought a yasha goby at my store and he has been doing good until today, he has been eating and even earlier today he did, but I noticed later in the day he was swimming around and not on the sandbed like he normally was, then the verticle swimming, then the plunging his head into a rock to "hide" possibly but looking like the flow was getting the best of him aswell as having a harder time staying upright. Just a few minutes ago my fire shrimp was grabbing him, I got him out and put him into my breeder box, he is on his side slowly but heavily breathing, fins are damaged as well and the slight possibility of a little faded coloration where the stripes are. Any thoughts? all my other fish are fine and I don't know what to do.
Sorry - just seeing this now.

Isolating the fish is a good step to keep it away from the shrimp. Trouble is, these guys are so tiny, that once they go downhill, there really isn't much time to try and figure out what is going on with them.

What other fish do you have? Are they all still symptom free?

If the goby is still alive, there really isn't much you can do when they can no longer swim, You could try a 5 minute FW dip, but that will likely be fatal at this point.

Sorry - all I can suggest is to watch the other fish very closely for any symptoms and then post in the fish disease section if you see something.

Jay

OP
OP
Fish?

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - just seeing this now.

Isolating the fish is a good step to keep it away from the shrimp. Trouble is, these guys are so tiny, that once they go downhill, there really isn't much time to try and figure out what is going on with them.

What other fish do you have? Are they all still symptom free?

If the goby is still alive, there really isn't much you can do when they can no longer swim, You could try a 5 minute FW dip, but that will likely be fatal at this point.

Sorry - all I can suggest is to watch the other fish very closely for any symptoms and then post in the fish disease section if you see something.

Jay
So I have an orchid dottyback, two clowns (one went up to it but I don't think he was being mean), and a bicolor blenny who doesn't care about anything. They all seem normal other than the dottyback sometimes harassing the goby but the goby had somewhere to hide, also I did isolate the dottyback and it reduced the aggression by a lot. The goby had died this morning, I woke up to a mutilated body probably eaten by my snails because I had knocked them off the box several times before having to go to bed. So I'll keep a close eye on my fish for a little while, but my water is probably fine because I don't notice anything different with them. Thanks

Back