Yay or Nay - Red Tail Filefish Reef Safe???

Colorz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up this red tail filefish from my lfs. As you can see, I have mixed reef tank, 1 cleaner shrimp and no fish in my 28g nano.

Been having a fight with aptasia lately - they are winning the battle so far bc when I epoxy their hole or apply F-Aptasia...they find another darn hole to pop out of! Sooooo, chatting about it w lfs and he said this fish is my answer and is 100% reef safe.

I of course purchase him. Upon acclimation, I wanted to research just to be sure I was given correct info. As many times before from other lfs as well, info was incorrect and have learned many hard lessons. My thought was...if they love aptasia, they might love my RBTA'S and other corals too!

The 1st 5 articles on Google say def not reef safe!! I trust y'all on here more than Google so please share your thoughts. He's staying in the bag until I get some advice from you and perhaps returning him in the hour.

TIA :)

20210728_164946.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All filefish can have the potensityvto nip at corals. They are not necessarily going to take care of your aiptasia, and can also go after shrimp and other inverts.

OP
OP
Colorz

Colorz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All filefish can have the potensityvto nip at corals. They are not necessarily going to take care of your aiptasia, and can also go after shrimp and other inverts.
Yikes!!!! Thank you!!!! Back to the store he shall go. I have too much love for my SW family to risk any of them being picked on or eaten

OP
OP
Colorz

Colorz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Returned him and got a firefish instead :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back