Yeah upgrade 65G to Red Sea Reefer 625XXL

Shady07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

*Title should state "Tank upgrade from 65G to Red Sea Reefer 625XXL"*

Im am planning on upgrading my reef tank that is about 7 years old too a red Sea reefer 625xxl.

I am placing on doing a brand new NSA aquascape and don't want to use any of my old rocks. My current aquascape is big and bulky. But I understand if I do this I will go through a cycle.

I am currently going through a bryopsis/gha out break and testing with vibrant. First time using this product. Hopefully in 7 weeks. It will be gone. This is why I don't want to use my old rocks. Another reason is due to the nature of an NSA aquascape, is that this method requires time for the rock to be out of water for an extended period of time (superglue and sand method). I cannot keep my current live rock out of water for long as it will expire while I am doing my construction.

My tank will be going in the same spot as my old one, there is no option to run both tanks simultaneously.

My corals have had decent growth with some mini colonies, nothing too crazy. I will be transferring all my corals and fish.

My question is, how can I set up my new tank, and not risk any damage to my corals, livestock do to a cycle. According to this article by reefbuilders, they recommend using bioblocks to persevere the bacteria without the pests. Is this advisable?

https://reefbuilders.com/2018/01/15/133763/

Any help would be appreciated, I'm looking to do the move in February when rea sea will have more tanks in stock. Currently they are out due to covid manufacturing delays.

If all goes to plan, I'll be having a wicked build thread!

Last edited:

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used Fluconazole to knock down a bryopsis problem. It really did the job.

If you are going to use new rock, why not get it now, put it in a Brute trash can with saltwater and a pump for circulation and get the rock full of bacteria. That way you should have minimal cycle issues. And/or you could buy some bottled bacteria and add that to the new rocks.

I've done several tank swaps and although I've had some cycle issues, none have ever done any harm to fish and very little if any damage to corals.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Shady07

Shady07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Ron for the help.

My initial thoughts were to build the dry aquascape first, as this style of aquascape requires a lot of time out of water.

If I were to cycle the dry rock first, and than try to aquascape, wouldn't all the bacteria die?

Another solution would be to build my aquascape, and then place the whole thing in a brute trashcan to cycle (I would need a big trashcan)

What are your thoughts?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never done a serious rockscape out of the water and I've never used anything to hold the rocks together. So you may have some issues I haven't dealt with.

I just got 5 nice Marco Shelf Rocks from Premium Aquatics (very well packed!). So some time soon, after my 3 week fluconazole treatment is done and I've done a couple of water changes, I'll be doing a new rockscape as well.

If you aren't going to use any of your old rock, you will probably have to deal with some cycle issues and some maturing issues.

Good luck and I want to see the new rockscape you do. I'll be doing a step by step posting in my build thread of the tear down, storage and new build if you're at all interested.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back