Yellow and sailfin in 40g breeder temporarily

cubicalkong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I currently have have a 40g breeder tank set up to temporarily house my fish while my display tank is fallow. I currently have a 2in Kole, 3in long nose butterfly,
2 1/2in yellow tang in the 40g. The sailfin (about same size as yellow) is still in quarantine, when he is finished I’ll be leaving town for 2 weeks.

I do not want my feeder to report a dead fish. The yellow tang and long nose have shown a bit of aggression, nothing serious. Will the sailfin and yellow be ok in the same tank? Would a divider(s) work? Or maybe a 20g long while I’m gone? Need some help.

CB691085-4235-40DB-AF08-FB49946E009D.jpeg

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hello, I currently have have a 40g breeder tank set up to temporarily house my fish while my display tank is fallow. I currently have a 2in Kole, 3in long nose butterfly,
2 1/2in yellow tang in the 40g. The sailfin (about same size as yellow) is still in quarantine, when he is finished I’ll be leaving town for 2 weeks.

I do not want my feeder to report a dead fish. The yellow tang and long nose have shown a bit of aggression, nothing serious. Will the sailfin and yellow be ok in the same tank? Would a divider(s) work? Or maybe a 20g long while I’m gone? Need some help.

CB691085-4235-40DB-AF08-FB49946E009D.jpeg
When I house Tangs in smaller tanks, I use the white grate for light fixtures. I cut it to fit tightly front to back and to the full water height. This allows water flow but keeps aggressive fish in their place. Also allows them to get used to each other so that when added to a larger tank they won’t go after each other.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding the fish and immediately going out of town is not great. You won’t get a chance to observe the fish for aggression issues.

I think it is a safer bet to keep them separate until you come back.
+1 to this, keeping fish separate will lessen the risk of a dead fish.
While I do agree with the egg crate as a way to separate the two in the 40b. Going away straight away when the fish are being introduced is still a bad move. You may risk the aggressors getting into the other side and beating on the tang whilst you won’t know.

I would honestly, try and get another couple of tanks setup to house fish in. That way you don’t risk as much aggression. Since it seems you’re trying to stock the tank whilst you have it in fallow.

OP
OP
cubicalkong

cubicalkong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions, I know it’s not ideal to leave as the sailfin is finished but that’s is unfortunately how things worked out. I seems like the best option would be to get him a separate tank while I’m away then maybe see how they do together when I get back. My fallow period will only have about a week left once I’m back.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions, I know it’s not ideal to leave as the sailfin is finished but that’s is unfortunately how things worked out. I seems like the best option would be to get him a separate tank while I’m away then maybe see how they do together when I get back. My fallow period will only have about a week left once I’m back.
While that is a good plan, are you able to set up and cycle the tank that fast. While I agree with @i cant think that the divider if not secured could move. A none cycled tank could also result in a dead fish. If you go the separation method, I cut the divider with side cutters (wire cutters) then I use rocks or bio bricks to hold it in place. I don’t have it in at the moment but here is a pic.

Attachments

• 13C7137A-6203-4178-BA36-66C257260A2F.jpeg
    13C7137A-6203-4178-BA36-66C257260A2F.jpeg
    231 KB · Views: 20

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the others that an egg crate divider is a good solution. I've used one on a number of occasions and keep one handy I even use one to progressively reduce the space in my DT when I need to catch and remove a fish.

OP
OP
cubicalkong

cubicalkong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While that is a good plan, are you able to set up and cycle the tank that fast. While I agree with @i cant think that the divider if not secured could move. A none cycled tank could also result in a dead fish. If you go the separation method, I cut the divider with side cutters (wire cutters) then I use rocks or bio bricks to hold it in place. I don’t have it in at the moment but here is a pic.
Thanks. That’s True. I honestly would rather have a divider than set up a new tank.

OP
OP
cubicalkong

cubicalkong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the others that an egg crate divider is a good solution. I've used one on a number of occasions and keep one handy I even use one to progressively reduce the space in my DT when I need to catch and remove a fish.
Thanks, would it be best to divide the the tank in half or diagonally to allow for more swimming length

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, would it be best to divide the the tank in half or diagonally to allow for more swimming length
In the 40 breeder either will work for the size fish you have. If they were any larger, I would op for lengthwise divider so they could swim the entire length of the tank.

OP
OP
cubicalkong

cubicalkong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 1/2in yellow tang in the 40g. The sailfin (about same size as yellow)
Ok thanks i think it would be best to do a 1/3 split. The three fish in there now seem to be getting along well. I rather not put the sailfin with someone else that could show aggression to him or that he could bully.

Back