Yellow Assessor Shoving Itself Under a Rock for Hours on End

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me first say that I've kept this species before and know their behavior is far from usual. I had one from ORA right as they first got released to the public and had him for years. The little guy was basically indestructible and survived several huge mistakes my middle school age self made. So when I saw one for sale, for the first time in years, at my LFS, I pulled the trigger. He has been quarantined for 3 weeks there and was out and about, albeit a little skittish from time to time. It's a price fish, so I watched him for a good 20 minutes or so, and he ate when I asked the guy at the LFS to feed him a bit. All signs pointed toward the indestructible fish I knew well.

After a long drip acclimation I released him into the display with lights off, let it sit that way for about an hour, and slowly brought the light back on at. The only other tank mate is a longnose hawkfish, as I'm starting my new Reefer xl300 now that it's finished cycling, and I was watching for any aggression from the former since it was added first. Literally couldn't have a care in the world. I watched for about a hour, the assessor swam within an inch of him 5 or 6 times when he wasn't splitting his time in caves, and no aggression to be seen. Great signs.

Come day 2, he's nowhere to be found. I finally find the guy wedged between a rock and the sand in this tiny little opening, the opening's maybe 1/2 inch tall and an inch or so long. He proper wedges himself in there. I let him be and he came out for maybe a minute or two a couple times through the day, but much less than before. I watched his little hole the I fed, and he popped out for 2 pieces of miss, then went back in.

Today, day 3, more of the same. Today I only saw him right when I woke up hanging out near his hole, I tried to grad some pellets (closest thing to me) to feed while he was out but went right back in the hole. I work from home and my desk looks at the tank, and you can't miss the bright yellow- for 10 hours of workday, he did not come out a single time. I know they are cave dwellers, but this is far different behavior than I've ever heard of (no other forums online I could find with similar experience) . My previous specimen became incredibly outgoing almost off the bat, and while this one is wild caught as far as I know, it's making me anxious. I'd hate for it to starve, I'm going to try and target feed with a turkey baster tonight if I can still see him in that hole, but I'm really not sure what to do. The 180 in behavior, from hanging out in the open for the first few hours to literally nothing, has made me anxious. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple possibilities spring to mind, could just be a naturally shy fish, there can be wide variations in personalities between different specimens of the same species. It may have some underlying subclinical problem that just hasn't shown up yet. And it may just be "lonely", some fish do not feel safe unless they se other fish swimming around, and a longnose hawk isn't one for spending a lot of time out in the open water swimming around.

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Assessors can be SUPER cryptic. I've got a Randalls and I'm lucky if I see him pop out of his hole once a month.

I do remember seeing a video of Yellow Assessors in the wild, it showed a large group (50+) of them swimming upside down against the overhang. They each maintained their own small territory (not necessarily typical schooling behavior), but it appears they do feel more confident out in the open when in larger numbers.

A couple things:

Keep monitoring, it's likely your guy is just adjusting to the tank before feeling a bit more confident (all new fish need time to do this). If he's still venturing out to eat and not showing signs of illness, that's a good sign.

There's also a chance that your assessor may be seeing you in the room and think you're a big predator (especially with one other fish in the tank, it may just be a bit too empty to feel safe to be out).

Consider adding some dither fish to the tank, usually small fish that swim out in the open and are the "lookouts" of the reef. If they're out in the open, they make the other fish feel safe to be out too. I added a trio of PInk Smith damsels to my tank, and the swimming activity of all my other fish in the tank increased as a result.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a yellow assessor, he was in my quarantine tank and I thought he jumped out but was inside a rock. I was worried thinking he jumped cause I didn’t think anyone could be there I even lifted the rock up and didn’t find him until my friend lifted it again and saw him in a hole. He’s doing really well now, and he’s always out in the open. He never goes in the rock anymore. Can I ask how much you paid for him @cdw79

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jaganshi066 Ironically I've just gotten this notification months later, but to your question, I picked mine up for just over 100 USD, prequarantined. Amazing deal as far as I'm concerned. He had apparently been up for 140 but couldn't find a buyer at my LFS (tbf in an empty tank without overhangs its just a yellow fish to the average reefer), but love the thing to death. He established himself really well after this incident and is a character. My new Midas blenny is bullying him, though, so he'll be coming out asap. No one lays a hand on that assessor ;)

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jaganshi066 Ironically I've just gotten this notification months later, but to your question, I picked mine up for just over 100 USD, prequarantined. Amazing deal as far as I'm concerned. He had apparently been up for 140 but couldn't find a buyer at my LFS (tbf in an empty tank without overhangs its just a yellow fish to the average reefer), but love the thing to death. He established himself really well after this incident and is a character. My new Midas blenny is bullying him, though, so he'll be coming out asap. No one lays a hand on that assessor ;)
The yellow assessor is a beautiful fish, mines still doing well!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back