Yellow banded possum wrasse acting weird

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So my possum wrasse is acting strange. He is swimming around the bottom and just jamming his nose into a corner of the rock where he can be half hidden. He is very skittish but this seems weird. Anyone seen this before or have suggestions?

OP
OP
Jaag

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had him for almost 3 weeks. He is in a 10 gallon. Tank makes are yasha goby with pistol shrimp a tiny bicolor blenny an arrow crab. I just added the arrow crab 3 days ago.
I fed him some mysis that I had in the fridge from an expo and ever since then he seems to be a little different. Is it possible the shrimp could have gone bad?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had him for almost 3 weeks. He is in a 10 gallon. Tank makes are yasha goby with pistol shrimp a tiny bicolor blenny an arrow crab. I just added the arrow crab 3 days ago.
I fed him some mysis that I had in the fridge from an expo and ever since then he seems to be a little different. Is it possible the shrimp could have gone bad?
It is possible, but usually frozen food that has gone bad has an unmistakeably rancid smell. There is also a possibility that the arrow crab transported a parasite of some sort. It is also possible that nothing is wrong either.

Obserbe for a day or two to see if anything else happens.

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 gallons is a bit small for these guys.. preferably you'd upgrade tanks, because most likely he's a little stressed from not being able to swim around a whole lot/ adequately hide..

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A possum wrasse will be fine in a 10g.
I agree I don't think the tank size is the issue.

Observe.

Are there any obstructions on the fish's eyes? Cloudy eyes?

Pbarber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jaag,

I've been having the same weird stuff going on with my YBPW. What ever came of your issues? Is it just weird stuff they do?

I personally think that it's something to do with seeing it's own reflection. When I clean the glass the wrasse gets really interested in the glass for a while. I also see him change colors slightly (white bars on his sides) when he bumps the glass, like he's angry or something.

OP
OP
Jaag

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Jaag,

I've been having the same weird stuff going on with my YBPW. What ever came of your issues? Is it just weird stuff they do?

I personally think that it's something to do with seeing it's own reflection. When I clean the glass the wrasse gets really interested in the glass for a while. I also see him change colors slightly (white bars on his sides) when he bumps the glass, like he's angry or something.
I ended up trading that tank it was in and the trader wanted him. So I truthfully don't know what happened.
Sorry for the late reply. I don't currently have a tank and am not up on following threads.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back