Yellow belly regal angel

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up mine a few weeks ago as a large adult male, straight from the IO. Came in at 5”. Wouldn’t touch much for days to about 1.5 weeks in QT, not even clams or black worms, mysis, flakes. Nothing.

luckily in the DT it takes to NLS pellets like crack. I find it likes red colored foods.

B10DE9A3-4531-4F23-8BF7-351678CF3555.png
Beautiful tank and stunning regal!
Not the best candidate for QT I’m afraid. Now that you mention it I actually believe mine goes after red foods with some extra vigor as well.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank and stunning regal!
Not the best candidate for QT I’m afraid. Now that you mention it I actually believe mine goes after red foods with some extra vigor as well.
Yeah, luckily mine was fat to begin with but it took to copper power well.

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first Regal last Tuesday. I have always looked at them but finally dared to get one. I got it and a blue spotted jawfish in the shipment. Both are doing well. The regal is just a baby and I am a little concerned as she is not really taking food as of yet but she/he went into a 3 year old, mature, 300 gallon reef that was established with a lot of real live rock that was air freighted in from Fiji. It did and still has an immense amount of life on it. Tons of sponges. She grazes all day long and is finally moving from one end of the tank to the other staying close to the rock work It is still very shy but is getting braver every day. When i feed the other tank inhabitants she does show some interest but can't swear she is eating.
angel 1.jpg
angel 2.jpg
angel 4.jpg
angel 3.jpg

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first Regal last Tuesday. I have always looked at them but finally dared to get one. I got it and a blue spotted jawfish in the shipment. Both are doing well. The regal is just a baby and I am a little concerned as she is not really taking food as of yet but she/he went into a 3 year old, mature, 300 gallon reef that was established with a lot of real live rock that was air freighted in from Fiji. It did and still has an immense amount of life on it. Tons of sponges. She grazes all day long and is finally moving from one end of the tank to the other staying close to the rock work It is still very shy but is getting braver every day. When i feed the other tank inhabitants she does show some interest but can't swear she is eating.
angel 1.jpg
angel 2.jpg
angel 4.jpg
angel 3.jpg
A regal AND a jawfish, that’s a great haul!

If I were in your shoes I would just sit tight, it’s small enough that what it finds in the tank should hold it over for a while.
What have you tried feeding it? Masstick is a good option if it’s picking at the rock.

here’s my guy, starting to lose the juvenile eye spot
101DFCCE-9F93-459C-85C4-4A80CB2A3647.jpeg

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A regal AND a jawfish, that’s a great haul!

If I were in your shoes I would just sit tight, it’s small enough that what it finds in the tank should hold it over for a while.
What have you tried feeding it? Masstick is a good option if it’s picking at the rock.

here’s my guy, starting to lose the juvenile eye spot
101DFCCE-9F93-459C-85C4-4A80CB2A3647.jpeg
Gorgeous fish! Nice color contrasts! Mine still has her (I say her, no idea) juvenile eye spot but she is just maybe over 2". The nice thing, no other fish in the tank even acknowledges her pretense so no aggression at all. I think i saw my lightening clown (she's a jerk) turn and push her tail at her. The regal total ignored her so she fits right in. She is starting to come out and swim freely so I will try to get a better picture. I wan't to say that I got these both from Live Aquaria. In the past I have had really bad luck with them and was one of their biggest critics but this time they came thru. I added this because in the past I have been mouthy about some of the shipments I have received. Packaging was top notch and they arrived healthy and in really great shape.

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is mine from Maldives via Live Aquaria-the @alton connection. He just lost his baby spot. About 2.5 inches would you say this orange or not?
152EBDF3-652E-41A9-9794-C8050F1F930E.jpeg
I would say orange. That's comparing the tail and fin color to the body color. Beautiful fish!

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous fish! Nice color contrasts! Mine still has her (I say her, no idea) juvenile eye spot but she is just maybe over 2". The nice thing, no other fish in the tank even acknowledges her pretense so no aggression at all. I think i saw my lightening clown (she's a jerk) turn and push her tail at her. The regal total ignored her so she fits right in. She is starting to come out and swim freely so I will try to get a better picture. I wan't to say that I got these both from Live Aquaria. In the past I have had really bad luck with them and was one of their biggest critics but this time they came thru. I added this because in the past I have been mouthy about some of the shipments I have received. Packaging was top notch and they arrived healthy and in really great shape.

Lighting clown, that’s a maroon right? Nasty pieces of work, you’re lucky it didn’t pull a knife in the regal ;)
Any luck with feeding it yet? Something to keep in mind is that I believe I killed a very small juvenile by feeding it to much dried food that it’s system wasn’t accustomed to, leading to constipation.

I wis we had something similar to live aquaria here in Sweden, both in terms of variety and price.

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting clown, that’s a maroon right? Nasty pieces of work, you’re lucky it didn’t pull a knife in the regal ;)
Any luck with feeding it yet? Something to keep in mind is that I believe I killed a very small juvenile by feeding it to much dried food that it’s system wasn’t accustomed to, leading to constipation.

I wis we had something similar to live aquaria here in Sweden, both in terms of variety and price.
Hi MichaelE,
Yea, It's a maroon with what I like to say "holes in it's sweater" . Pretty fish with a bad attitude. Sweden? My brother lives in Denmark. Going to medical school. I have been over a few times, Sweden just once. Pretty country. She is still not eating any foods that I offer but she grazes constantly.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difference is
Indian Ocean and Red Sea they are orange belly’s ,
And said to be hardier than those from the pacific

Rick.99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Baby Regal eats New Life Spectrum Pellets and all kinds of frozen. He's quite feisty for his size, my Flame Angel and my Coral Beauty are both bigger then him, but he is holding his own against them. He also came from the maledives, but I had a yellowbelly from indo and also a whitebelly from indo before him. The whitebelly was the easiest one to get eating. The origin is not so important, it's the handling by the importer which determines the success you have with the fish.
Jonathan-5.jpg

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Baby Regal eats New Life Spectrum Pellets and all kinds of frozen. He's quite feisty for his size, my Flame Angel and my Coral Beauty are both bigger then him, but he is holding his own against them. He also came from the maledives, but I had a yellowbelly from indo and also a whitebelly from indo before him. The whitebelly was the easiest one to get eating. The origin is not so important, it's the handling by the importer which determines the success you have with the fish.
Jonathan-5.jpg
How long have you had her? She looks tiny. As I am not that familiar with the species, do the bars fill in as the fish ages or is this what is referred to as a mis-bar? This is obviously a very young fish. At least I have never seen one that small.
Sorry for my ignorance.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That might change with time they do love to eat their zoas . Just keep an eye on your most expensive ones ,they usually start with those it took my regal 12 days to eat anything and then one day it just came out and ate pellets . My Angel's and powder brown tang wont eat any nori so I just gave up. It's been a while since I've tried and now they're complete pigs lol .even after a year the regal wont really eat frozen , he eats like 2 pieces then gets sketched out by the flying food and goes and hides . So i guess its rare that mine only really likes to eat pellets now but im not complaining !! Hope you you have good luck with yours

20190828_203433.jpg

Rick.99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had her? She looks tiny. As I am not that familiar with the species, do the bars fill in as the fish ages or is this what is referred to as a mis-bar? This is obviously a very young fish. At least I have never seen one that small.
Sorry for my ignorance.
I have had him for nearly a year. The Bars fill in as they grow, but it could turn out to be a misbar, you can't tell at this size. He never touched any corals in my tank.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is mine from Maldives via Live Aquaria-the @alton connection. He just lost his baby spot. About 2.5 inches would you say this orange or not?
152EBDF3-652E-41A9-9794-C8050F1F930E.jpeg
Looks more of a deeper yellow, tinge of Orange to me.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone provide clear cut distinctions between IO/RS regals vs their South Pacific counterparts? Or is it just simply the “belly color” one being yellow/orange vs blue/gray?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back