Yellow Coris Wrasse floating upside down?

Arvin R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

A few days ago my wife noticed our Yellow Coris Wrasse swimming sideways and tumbling and twirling. This only lasted a few minutes and it was swimming normally again. We unfortunately had to leave for the weekend so I couldn't keep an eye on it until today. When I got home today it was swimming fine. Then a few hours later we see it laying upside down at the top of the water and very lethargic. I pulled it from DT and put it into a QT/HT. I'm trying to determine if it's swim bladder or UNWD (Unkown Neurological Wrasse Disease). From the videos I watched in that thread, mine experienced the same off swimming but mine lays at the top of the water and I see most cases of UNWD mentioning the wrasse laying at the bottom. It's belly is bloated and the fins are very frayed. None of the other fish in the tank show any issues or symptoms.

Is there anything I can do for this wrasse? I've had it for almost a year.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi,

A few days ago my wife noticed our Yellow Coris Wrasse swimming sideways and tumbling and twirling. This only lasted a few minutes and it was swimming normally again. We unfortunately had to leave for the weekend so I couldn't keep an eye on it until today. When I got home today it was swimming fine. Then a few hours later we see it laying upside down at the top of the water and very lethargic. I pulled it from DT and put it into a QT/HT. I'm trying to determine if it's swim bladder or UNWD (Unkown Neurological Wrasse Disease). From the videos I watched in that thread, mine experienced the same off swimming but mine lays at the top of the water and I see most cases of UNWD mentioning the wrasse laying at the bottom. It's belly is bloated and the fins are very frayed. None of the other fish in the tank show any issues or symptoms.

Pics under white lights will help with assessment but sounds like it’s moribund. At this state, not much you may be able to do unless buoyancy issue- pics will help again
Add air via airstone to assure good oxygen but I do fear the worse

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

The bloating and the frayed fins are not signs of UNWD. Likewise, that almost always is seen in new fish.

Swim bladder disease with bloating always causes the fish to float, so that could be it. No real treatment for that though. The frayed fins don't line up with that diagnosis....could another fish have been attacking it while it is in a weakened state?

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well, that’s exactly as you described, but no additional clues. It does seem to have positive floatation so that is either swim bladder disease, and/or bacteria producing gas in the gut.
To be honest, I don’t think you will be able to save this fish, but since you have it in a hospital tank, you could try dosing it with gram positive and gram negative antibiotics - Maracyn 1 and 2 for example.
Jay

OP
OP
A

Arvin R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that’s exactly as you described, but no additional clues. It does seem to have positive floatation so that is either swim bladder disease, and/or bacteria producing gas in the gut.
To be honest, I don’t think you will be able to save this fish, but since you have it in a hospital tank, you could try dosing it with gram positive and gram negative antibiotics - Maracyn 1 and 2 for example.
Jay
I will see if I can get that from my LFS today. Can those be used with metro and neoplex or should I not dose those while I try Maracyn 1 and 2?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will see if I can get that from my LFS today. Can those be used with metro and neoplex or should I not dose those while I try Maracyn 1 and 2?
I would not dose both sets of medications - too much chance of a cross reaction. You can try metro and neoplex if you already have those drugs. To be honest, picking an antibiotic is often just a guess anyways. Metro is only effective against anaerobic bacteria though.

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Agree with Jay- could very well have been sucking air in the fish bag filling bladder.
Due to this and fish getting caught in corner of fish bag, I now bring my own Clean pail for my new fish.

OP
OP
A

Arvin R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Jay- could very well have been sucking air in the fish bag filling bladder.
Due to this and fish getting caught in corner of fish bag, I now bring my own Clean pail for my new fish.
This fish has been in my tank for almost a year. It has not been in a bag anytime recently. It does spend a lot of time swimming along the top of the water and spits water out of my tank maybe it was swallowing air while doing that? But this behavior is not new so I'm a bit confused why this happened just all of a sudden. I did big water change just now to clear out metro/kana and dosed maracyn and maracyn 2. It's still stuck upside down mainly but it does show more signs of activity than yesterday and it's bladder doesn't seen as bloated either. Just running bubbler and heater in the HT as I'm afraid flow from an HOB might be too much. I may need to keep a sponge filter on hand for future purposes. I'll be using prime to keep ammonia neutralized during the next 5 day treatment if needed. I do have a container of sand from one of my tanks and it might be enough to convert the ammonia to nitrite and nitrate. I'll closely be monitoring the ammonia levels.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This fish has been in my tank for almost a year. It has not been in a bag anytime recently. It does spend a lot of time swimming along the top of the water and spits water out of my tank maybe it was swallowing air while doing that? But this behavior is not new so I'm a bit confused why this happened just all of a sudden. I did big water change just now to clear out metro/kana and dosed maracyn and maracyn 2. It's still stuck upside down mainly but it does show more signs of activity than yesterday and it's bladder doesn't seen as bloated either. Just running bubbler and heater in the HT as I'm afraid flow from an HOB might be too much. I may need to keep a sponge filter on hand for future purposes. I'll be using prime to keep ammonia neutralized during the next 5 day treatment if needed. I do have a container of sand from one of my tanks and it might be enough to convert the ammonia to nitrite and nitrate. I'll closely be monitoring the ammonia levels.
I assumed bag as it appeared to be somehow sucking air. never had a wrasse porpoise at top of tank but every fish has their own personality. Maracyn should help

OP
OP
A

Arvin R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assumed bag as it appeared to be somehow sucking air. never had a wrasse porpoise at top of tank but every fish has their own personality. Maracyn should help
This one loves skimming back and forth on the top of the water since I've had it. It will swim deeper down in the tank but always returns and hangs near the top.

OP
OP
A

Arvin R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, so it's been in HT on the 3rd day of dosing maracyn and maracyn 2. She no longer floats at the top of the water upside down. But now lays at the bottom upside down and can't keep oriented upright. Could it have been a combo of swim bladder and UNWD?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, so it's been in HT on the 3rd day of dosing maracyn and maracyn 2. She no longer floats at the top of the water upside down. But now lays at the bottom upside down and can't keep oriented upright. Could it have been a combo of swim bladder and UNWD?

IDK - the classic symptom of UNWD is that the fish still eats, or at least tries to.

Jay

OP
OP
A

Arvin R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IDK - the classic symptom of UNWD is that the fish still eats, or at least tries to.

Jay
Over the past few days she's taken a few bites of food each day but not the same appetite she used to have. I'll have to see now that she has a little better movement control

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past few days she's taken a few bites of food each day but not the same appetite she used to have. I'll have to see now that she has a little better movement control
O.K., if it is trying to eat, then it could be the wrasse disease, I thought it wasn't eating at all. That's what so unusual about that issue - in most fish, when they can't swim, they also are not feeding.

Jay

Ianzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Arvin

How did the yellow coris turn out in the end?, I have one with the same issues, was a healthy fish for many months prior, Sad to see them go this way

Cheers
Ian

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 36 54.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 56.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • None.

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.1%
Back