Yellow Coris Wrasse with Pop Eye

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new yellow Coris wrasse that has developed pop eye. He's been in the tank less than a week; Completed a QT regimen using @Humblefish's modified tank transfer method for velvet, along with two 24hour treatments of Prazipro one week apart. Was normal when I put him in but I noticed the pop eye this morning. No cloudiness in the eyes that I can see, but it's both eyes. He's a bit listless and swimming irregularly, too.

I have copper, Ich-X (Formaldehyde, methanol and malachite green,) tetracycline and maracyn two available, although I just noticed the tetracycline and maracyn are both listed as being for freshwater.

From what I've read, Maracyn would be the best choice for treatment. Since it's both eyes, should I go ahead and treat, even though they're not cloudy? Also, is there any difference between the freshwater and saltwater formulations for Maracyn Two? As near as I can tell it's the same medication.

IMG_1359.jpeg
IMG_1360.jpeg

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She may have damaged her face trying to bury or darting into something. Her tail also looks damaged. Have you noticed any aggression from her tank mates? You do have sand for her, right? Treating with an antibiotic wouldn't hurt. I believe Maracyn 2 is dosed the same in SW and FW.

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The display tank has sand - she was buried in the sand this morning. Who knows - maybe she injured her eyes digging? I moved her back into my quarantine tank, just so I can keep a better eye on her. She’s swimming around more and not quite so listless.

When I looked at the Maracyn 2 package, it was several years old and expired. I think they may have just re-labeled it. I went to my LFS and ended up getting some Kanaplex (Kanamycin) to mix with her food. Hopefully she’ll turn around.

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - so I went down to check on her yesterday evening and she was dead. :(

I’m incredibly frustrated and discouraged - All the other fish in my display tank look fine and there were no signs the day before that I could see, so all this appeared to happen within 24 hours. The only other sign or symptom I saw was some redness around her nose/snout. I didn’t even have a chance to get the medication in her, although I doubt it would have done much good.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. Looks like it was beyond your control, keep your chin up!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - so I went down to check on her yesterday evening and she was dead. :(

I’m incredibly frustrated and discouraged - All the other fish in my display tank look fine and there were no signs the day before that I could see, so all this appeared to happen within 24 hours. The only other sign or symptom I saw was some redness around her nose/snout. I didn’t even have a chance to get the medication in her, although I doubt it would have done much good.
Sorry to hear. Popeye is rarely fatal, and when it is, it takes some time to occur. I think you may have had something else going on with the wrasse - perhaps the redness you noticed around the snout was Uronema.

Just armchair quarterbacking here, but one drawback to TTM is the extra handling the fish receive. One common cause of popeye in fish is excessive handling.

Jay

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. Popeye is rarely fatal, and when it is, it takes some time to occur. I think you may have had something else going on with the wrasse - perhaps the redness you noticed around the snout was Uronema.

Just armchair quarterbacking here, but one drawback to TTM is the extra handling the fish receive. One common cause of popeye in fish is excessive handling.

Jay
Yeah, I thought of the trauma, but the timing doesn’t quite fit, and if was simply due to trauma I wouldn’t have expected it to be fatal so quickly.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back