Yellow coris wrasse with temporarily red pecs

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never noticed this before. I had to adjust my MP10, and my big hand in the tank caused my yellow coris wrasse to dive into the sand.

When he came out, the area around his pectoral fin was red on both sides. I could even see red from his brain all the way back to the fins. Gills, maybe, but more noticeable at the pecs.

It's as if he was holding his breath or O2 starved in the sand.

Is that normal for them? I've seen him emerge before, never seen this. No apparent change in the water/tank or other fish.

After a few minutes of being out of the sand, the red is gone and he looks and acts normal. No flashing etc.

Some back story.
About 5 weeks ago, I had a Starki develop pop eye. It is possible that fish had flukes. If so, the flukes survived 4 weeks of QT at a reputable LFS (their protocol I believe includes prazi). My LFS is a special one (featured on BRS etc.) and has a unique supplier for Starki's, so good sourcing to begin with. IMO it is most likely the Starki did not have flukes, but I can't know. He did on occasion (rare, but now and then) jitter his head, and would occasionally (rare, but he'd do it) flash but always near his eyes. I had never seen a fish do that. That may have been the cause of pop eye, but more likely he injured himself in the sump (where the pop eye developed). The sump was too small for him and full of reflections and clear acrylic panels that I saw him run into the walls several times (he was in the sump before I got the second tank for him set up). The Starki was removed to his own tank where he died, apparently from complications of infection/pop eye. My own theory is that the sump ultimately stressed/killed him, causing the pop eye and his decline. If he had not developed pop eye and made it to his own tank, he'd probably be alive and well today. Still... there is this back story and a lingering concern my DT has flukes now.

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Saltyreef I have the usual carib sea "everyone" uses (forgot the grain/size name). Appropriate for my diamond back gobby and the wrasse, they say.

Like I said I've never noticed him emerge like this.

But yeah -weirdest thing. VERY noticeable red. Couldn't miss it. Not something weird about the light or anything- clearly visible pink/red. But a few minutes later, faded and subsided, and he's his usual appearance.

Maybe he's got a stash and is doing drugs in the sand? :cool:

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... this just occurs to me: He almost never dives into the sand during the day. So maybe his "flight" and hiding in the sand is different from sleeping there, such that there are visible effects when he emerges.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Saltyreef I have the usual carib sea "everyone" uses (forgot the grain/size name). Appropriate for my diamond back gobby and the wrasse, they say.

Like I said I've never noticed him emerge like this.

But yeah -weirdest thing. VERY noticeable red. Couldn't miss it. Not something weird about the light or anything- clearly visible pink/red. But a few minutes later, faded and subsided, and he's his usual appearance.

Maybe he's got a stash and is doing drugs in the sand? :cool:
LOL!

You know my purple dottyback is a bottom dweller and ive noticed its whole body with red streaks and spots. Healthy and eating and was quarantined and dropped into a fallow tank so i know its not disease. I believe its from scratching around the rough bare bottom so i 100% think its just irritation.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back