Yellow corris wrasse - is this flukes?

daftbeni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello everyone! My yellow corris wrasse has been acting strange and I’d like to see what you all think. 2 weeks ago she started hanging out at the top of the tank and darting back and fourth all day. This behaviour hasn’t changed at all since the first time she did it. Im not sure if she is fighting her reflection or hanging out at the surface because she’s having trouble breathing. She sticks her head out of the water and sometimes even makes big splashes that send water flying.

My entire tank went through 4 prazi treatments a month and half ago. Reason I did 4 was because I have several wrasses and I read they are sensitive to this treatment. So I dosed once a week at 80% of the required amount for four weeks. is it possible I didn’t dose correctly or have flukes that are immune to prazi? Or is my wrasse just fighting her reflection?

None of my other fish are showing any symptoms. I do have 2 other fish that like to fight their reflections(tomini tang & ornate leopard) but they are way more chill about it and take breaks often. They also don’t hangout at the surface of the water.

i have a video of my wrasse.

Attachments

• IMG_3392.MOV
    24.5 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
hello everyone! My yellow corris wrasse has been acting strange and I’d like to see what you all think. 2 weeks ago she started hanging out at the top of the tank and darting back and fourth all day. This behaviour hasn’t changed at all since the first time she did it. Im not sure if she is fighting her reflection or hanging out at the surface because she’s having trouble breathing. She sticks her head out of the water and sometimes even makes big splashes that send water flying.

My entire tank went through 4 prazi treatments a month and half ago. Reason I did 4 was because I have several wrasses and I read they are sensitive to this treatment. So I dosed once a week at 80% of the required amount for four weeks. is it possible I didn’t dose correctly or have flukes that are immune to prazi? Or is my wrasse just fighting her reflection?

None of my other fish are showing any symptoms. I do have 2 other fish that like to fight their reflections(tomini tang & ornate leopard) but they are way more chill about it and take breaks often. They also don’t hangout at the surface of the water.

I see what looks like a happy yellow coris and signs im looking for in video which I do not see it : Head shaking, twitching/jerking, yawning. Fish is active and I assume eating well from looks of its body
Its riding the surface but not porpoising and am therefore not too concerned.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I presume it's still eating well?

Some fish will fight their reflection at the surface. You can try adding aeration to break up the mirror effect, and try turning the lights out to see if the behavior persists when the lights are dimmer.

Jay

OP
OP
D

daftbeni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what looks like a happy yellow coris and signs im looking for in video which I do not see it : Head shaking, twitching/jerking, yawning. Fish is active and I assume eating well from looks of its body
The yellow corris eats very well. Always one of the first to grab a bite and makes sure to always grab the biggest piece!
So riding the surface of the water like a shark isn’t much concern then? I don’t know if you saw but at the end of the video the wrasse does a little splash.. and that’s normal?
Thank you for all the help!

OP
OP
D

daftbeni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I presume it's still eating well?

Some fish will fight their reflection at the surface. You can try adding aeration to break up the mirror effect, and try turning the lights out to see if the behavior persists when the lights are dimmer.

Jay
Behaviour only persists during hours the lights are on. The fish is also eating well. Always one of the first to grab a piece of food once it’s in the tank.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back