Yellow Eye Kole Tang (With No Yellow Eye?)

OP
OP
J

jaredrah777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a spotted yellow eye that is not hawaii only. Called the Square tail tang... I think venders started calling them spotted kole tangs after the ban to increase sales? idk maybe that always another name.

still looks completely different then the tang i got

Ricox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took mine around a day to get used to the tank and colour up. They look really beautiful with their yellow fins and tail and patterns.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may indeed be a striatus tang... the big issue with that is they get a lot larger than a "kole". So if someone unknowingly put it in their 75g or such....

OP
OP
J

jaredrah777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks exactly like my orange-lined tang, Ctenochaetus striatus, no resemblance to any of the "kole" type fish. Mine is solid black 80% of the time, and the rest of the time he's displaying to his tankmates with a brilliant bright stripes that seem to come out of nowhere. In addition to this, C. striatus has the same small black spot at the base of the tail as yours does.
I love mine to bits, and it's one of my favorite fish in the tank. However, they do have to potential to get 8"+ long with age, so keep that in mind. Mine has grown from 2" to 6" in 3 years.
wow yes i have no problem with the guy my only issue is that i paid 150 for a kole eye tang and received a orange lined that usually goes for 45-50 dollars..

Blanco_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really should just turn the blues off completely and whites on for a better pic for us and for Dr Reef.
Here is another pic under whites, opposite side
“Yellow eye spotted” from Dr reef

Attachments

• 0DF05FA4-6136-428D-932C-D85760C5AEF5.jpeg
    0DF05FA4-6136-428D-932C-D85760C5AEF5.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 74
OP
OP
J

jaredrah777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i were you id reach out as well… i paid 150 not sure how much u paid but orange lined tangs go for 40-45 dollars everywhere i look… and it looks like we both got them… urs looks younger and more juvenile then mine

Blanco_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i were you id reach out as well… i paid 150 not sure how much u paid but orange lined tangs go for 40-45 dollars everywhere i look… and it looks like we both got them… urs looks younger and more juvenile then mine
I paid the same, ordered the same and received the same, I will give them a call tomorrow, I received 4 fishes in total, im very happy overall, super healthy, even the cooperband is active and eating well. First fishes back into my 300 gal tank after 6 1/2 months going fallow

OP
OP
J

jaredrah777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I paid the same, ordered the same and received the same, I will give them a call tomorrow, I received 4 fishes in total, im very happy overall, super healthy, even the cooperband is active and eating well. First fishes back into my 300 gal tank after 6 1/2 months going fallow
same here got 7 fish all super healthy and i was most excited about the yellow eye… i hear alot about how good of a fish it is. I called today and they said mon-friday there phones are up so unfortunately we have to wait till monday. i posted in his thread on here hopefully i can get in touch with him. If i do ill most likely mention urs as well to let him know others are having the same problem

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a striatus… they get MUCH bigger than what you wanted (Accidentally replied to the wrong post)
definitely a striatus, get rid of it unless you want a 6’ tank.

Only issue with this is you won’t get a true yellow eye as they are currently banned (Hawaii isn’t open still unfortunately). You can get the trunctatus but even then, it’s not too similar to the strigosus.

Last edited:

DancingShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know memory fails people. To double check. I went and looked for a video of the first day I got my kole tang back in late 2016 or early 2017.
This is what he looked like. With all his stress.

Hopefully yours develop the yellow around his eyes and this is just a miss understanding. I would give it a few days. Maybe a week and see if the yellow comes in.

Back