Yellow Eye Kole Tang (With No Yellow Eye?)

OP
OP
J

jaredrah777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know memory fails people. To double check. I went and looked for a video of the first day I got my kole tang back in late 2016 or early 2017.
This is what he looked like. With all his stress.

Hopefully yours develop the yellow around his eyes and this is just a miss understanding. I would give it a few days. Maybe a week and see if the yellow comes in.

video wont load

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. Reef should refund your money if you in fact got the wrong fish...
he once sent me a wrong fish. After I informed him, he refunded my purchase.

bummer that this is happening to several people. Looks like he got a batch of tangs mis-ID'd as kole tangs unfortunately.

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont have a yellow eyed Kole. Even dead Yellow eyed Kole still have a very bright coloured yellow eye which is extremely obvious it is what it is. Stress may change its overall body colour but it does not change its eye colour. Ive had newly shipped ones look ghost like but still have a bright yellow eye and ive also had them with extremely dark coats but still a brightly coloured yellow eye.

Id push for the fact its not the right fish - Like youve already said, its ok to be the wrong fish but at least acknowledge it (where you got it form) and go from there.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. Reef should refund your money if you in fact got the wrong fish...
he once sent me a wrong fish. After I informed him, he refunded my purchase.

bummer that this is happening to several people. Looks like he got a batch of tangs mis-ID'd as kole tangs unfortunately.
I wouldn’t say miss ID’d as many bristletooth tangs are called “…. Kole Tang”, over here trunctatus are called “Silver Spot Yellow Eye Kole Tang” and Striatus are called “Spotted Yellow Eye Kole Tang” if the species offered had the scientific name of Ctenochaetus trunctatus then yes I would say miss ID’d however a common name is most likely not miss ID’d as many common names are mix and mashed from country to country. Sometimes even a different state/county will have a different common name.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t say miss ID’d as many bristletooth tangs are called “…. Kole Tang”, over here trunctatus are called “Silver Spot Yellow Eye Kole Tang” and Striatus are called “Spotted Yellow Eye Kole Tang” if the species offered had the scientific name of Ctenochaetus trunctatus then yes I would say miss ID’d however a common name is most likely not miss ID’d as many common names are mix and mashed from country to country. Sometimes even a different state/county will have a different common name.
Right, but those all have yellow eyes, so I can understand the possibility of those being mis-ID'd as some form of yellow eye kole tangs... But the fish these guys were sent don't even have yellow eyes, so not as understanding how they could be ID'd as yellow eye kole tangs and go through full QT and not realize this? They don't even have yellow eyes?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, but those all have yellow eyes, so I can understand the possibility of those being mis-ID'd as some form of yellow eye kole tangs... But the fish these guys were sent don't even have yellow eyes, so not as understanding how they could be ID'd as yellow eye kole tangs and go through full QT and not realize this? They don't even have yellow eyes?
Maybe they did get some trunctatus in with the striatus

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back