Yellow Gold Midas Blenny vs a Bluish Gold Midas Blenny??

ReeferSamster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the title seems confusing. Its because I'm confused.

I thought Midas Blennies were supposed to be more yellowish with peach accents.
But I just purchased a Midas blenny with a bluish streak throughout the fins. It almost looks like a different blenny!

Whats even more confusing is divers den has 2 Gold Midas blenny. The one that I purchased and another one that is the more traditional yellow.

Has anyone else seen a bluish midas blenny like the photos show, or did divers den make an error and this is actually a different type of blenny?

yellow midas.jpg blue midas.jpg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen mine a bluish color but they can pretty drastically change their colors and patterns. My guess is that's why the color differences

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is correctly labeled. I'm not sure how quickly they can change color or if it's a locale specific thing, but there are for sure blue midas blennies.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot when I got mine after acclimating it to my tank it was a purplish color for a while before it settled in and changed to the traditional peach color. If they can change to purple I wouldn't think that color blue is out of the question for them

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot when I got mine after acclimating it to my tank it was a purplish color for a while before it settled in and changed to the traditional peach color. If they can change to purple I wouldn't think that color blue is out of the question for them
I just bought one it’s beautiful but like yours it is a weird golden/bluish. Wondering if it’ll change as well. I bought it labled as an African gold Midas. How long did it take to change peachy?

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine appeared all of the colors above. Well, not as dark as the first, but pretty darn close. He did fine for weeks. Then I did my first rock cleaning, glass cleaning since he was added. He hid for the first time ever and he was pet close to purple while in the rock. He usually was swimming against the current in front of the food dispenser. He seemed to stay gold with a pink streak mostly, though.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a brilliant purple-blue midas blenny that started out the typical yellowish-orange that you see them advertised as. Why did he change? Boredom - who knows. Apparently it's fairly uncommon for this to happen.

I'll try to get a picture of him tomorrow, but he's extremely lazy and spends most of his time in his barnacle - so I have to be very stealthy to catch him out and about. He's probably a good 5-5.5" in length.

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I heard the greenish ones are from the eastern Indian Ocean near Indonesia and broader Indo-Pacific, while the golden ones are African / Persian Gulf. I’m not sure though could just be difference in individual specimens.
I've basically heard this as well- apparently some regions tend to be more yellow ish than others, but that doesn't mean ordering a non-WYSIWYG based on the region of origin will mean it's the color you expect. I ultimately had to kick my Midas out after it was being a bit of a jerk, but I waited months until I found one in person that had that nice gold coloration

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression the brighter gold bodies come from the Maldives. Indian Ocean and Indo Pacific specimen, I thought had more dark on the body including the blue and purple stripes.

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression the brighter gold bodies come from the Maldives. Indian Ocean and Indo Pacific. I thought had more dark on the body including the blue and purple stripes.
This is also what I thought

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 40 52.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • None.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.2%
Back