Yellow/green algae on silicone only?

RoGReeferRV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed a yellow/green film of some sort only on the silicone seam of the tank. Badly on the back corner and looks to be developing on the front corner as well.Any ideas what this is and how to remove it?

Tank is nearing 3 months old and the lights have not been turned on yet? Had a little bit of the "new tank brown algae" on the white back part,but that has since passed.

Even looked like it had a little red on it which came off with the scrub brush,but what remains does not come off.

Any thoughts?

20211006_074322.jpg 20211006_074331.jpg 20211006_074302.jpg 20211006_074327.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Makes sense- sticky surface
Reduce white light intensity a little and remove with algae sponge or scotch brite type of pad

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't a magic eraser break up into little little pieces? Wouldn't want that in the water.
If you are going over rough surfaces it can break up.....I have never had an issue cleaning glass and silicone with it though and I have been using them for years. Anything that does break off is normally just large pieces when you can just pull out......it is harmless to the tank regardless.

OP
OP
RoGReeferRV

RoGReeferRV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lfs hasn't seen this before either. Mentioned that I should contact Fluval and that it may be some kind of design flaw. Sent em an email but I'm not expecting much by way of response or help. Was hoping some inverts might get a hold of it,but I fear its embedded to deep into the silicone for it to be reached by them. I can't envision the magic eraser being any better then the algae scrub brush I have honestly.

stharper2923

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread-but wondering if you ever figured out what this was? I have the same issue happening on 3 month old tank. Started in seams but now actually on rock.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back