Yellow head jawfish can’t stick to a burrow and I need help

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a yellow head jawfish and it started building a burrow. It then left a burrow and started swimming around. Then it left that burrow and started leaving that burrow and swimming around the entire tank. Is there a reason he’s doing this and is there anything I can do to help him find a place to call home?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the sand deep enough? Are there any caves for it to hide? Any aggressive tank mates? Just some possibilities

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He'll settle down, they can be very active if in a peaceful environment. Ours had three burrows but became to much of a headache with spitting sand all over the rocks and coral. Oh and if you didnt know they are huge jumpers.

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the sand deep enough? Are there any caves for it to hide? Any aggressive tank mates? Just some possibilities
Sand bed is 3 inches deep. There are a few caves for it to hide. The only thing I could think would be aggressive is my YWG but it is quite small and has been peaceful with any new addition.

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He'll settle down, they can be very active if in a peaceful environment. Ours had three burrows but became too much of a headache with spitting sand all over the rocks and coral. Oh and if you didnt know they are huge jumpers.
Maybe. I’ll update you. Should I dig out some sand on purpose for it? Luckily nothing is bothering it except for my clowns which aren’t to fond of anything going near their territory.

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our's ran back and forth for a couple days I think just trying to get a feel for the tank sense they dart so quick at times. Its amazing how quick they are, he's just sizing things up. It'll be fine. Oh sorry any digging or arranging in the tank is now his job he'll make it just the way he wants no matter what you do lol. Also make sure your frags if any are secure cause he will be more than happy to move them for you as well.

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our's ran back and forth for a couple days I think just trying to get a feel for the tank sense they dart so quick at times. Its amazing how quick they are, he's just sizing things up. It'll be fine. Oh sorry any digging or arranging in the tank is now his job he'll make it just the way he wants no matter what you do lol. Also make sure your frags if any are secure cause he will be more than happy to move them for you as well.
Thanks. He's kinda staying in 1 corner right now. I'm guessing he's quite stressed because he was just added.

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. He's kinda staying in 1 corner right now. I'm guessing he's quite stressed because he was just added.
Don't be shocked if he doesn't eat for a couple he'll quickly turn into a pig. Good luck kinda miss our's they are very personable. Oh and don't be alarmed if you see a hermit in his mouth. I thought our's was choking but he was just breaking the shell to eat the hermit. Crazy to watch

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be shocked if he doesn't eat for a couple he'll quickly turn into a pig. Good luck kinda miss our's they are very personable. Oh and don't be alarmed if you see a hermit in his mouth. I thought our's was choking but he was just breaking the shell to eat the hermit. Crazy to watch
he's already eating. Watched him eat a few pieces of mysis and hikari squid. Also A while ago I had a bluespot in my cool water tank. He would crush hermits every week. But for the price I bought him at he can have my $1 hermits.

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he's already eating. Watched him eat a few pieces of mysis and hikari squid. Also A while ago I had a bluespot in my cool water tank. He would crush hermits every week. But for the price I bought him at he can have my $1 hermits.
He just built a new burrow
D79510AF-22F5-4DD9-B88F-0F22536BA2DF.jpeg

but then he left it again
C19FF942-4CC0-41FE-B250-0AA68DA5C0C4.jpeg

I’m starting to think something is wrong with him

Boreas_SA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give him more rock rubble of all sizes, they need quite a bit to construct a proper burrow, a lot more than you might think is enough, as they basically use it as bricks to construct a solid burrow that makes a perfect tunnel where they hide out, they can’t build that with just sand.

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give him more rock rubble of all sizes, they need quite a bit to construct a proper burrow, a lot more than you might think is enough, as they basically use it as bricks to construct a solid burrow that makes a perfect tunnel where they hide out, they can’t build that with just sand.
So that’s why he’s leaving his burrow?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back