Yellow line cardinals dying!

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased ylg last Wednesday...had 5, now 3...they came from across the country and are guaranteed to live...but like to save what i have...looked at the disease chart...seems to be bacterial infection...sort of parallel white patches on the body going from dorsal down...been feeding focus, metroplex and kanaplex in the food...he's not eating much so I'm thinking he's next to go...any ideas beyond what I'm doing...in QT...changing water, keeping it clean...also have little, tiny 2 spot blenny...seems fine...HELP...In the picture below, its the one near the bottom...he also is swollen to some extent...oh, Happy New Year...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Congaken

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cardinalfish.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Congaken.

The only thing I can really make out in your photo is a pale marking that runs from the lower cardinal's second dorsal, down its body to its anal fin. That could indeed be a bacterial issue, or possibly Uronema marinum - it's hard to tell from the attached image.

If it's bacterial, the use of a wide-spectrum antibiotic would be advised - a broad-based combination that often works is that of Kanaplex, Metroplex and Furan-2. Dose all three according to package directions, for 10 days and re-evaluate to decide if dosing needs to continue. (It sometimes does.) Humblefish's complete write-up here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bacterial-infections.191511/#post-2196167

Uronema is a bit of a bear to treat, unfortunately. Humblefish's write-up on the topic is here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/uronema-marinum.247940/#post-2913295

~Bruce

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Congaken.

The only thing I can really make out in your photo is a pale marking that runs from the lower cardinal's second dorsal, down its body to its anal fin. That could indeed be a bacterial issue, or possibly Uronema marinum - it's hard to tell from the attached image.

If it's bacterial, the use of a wide-spectrum antibiotic would be advised - a broad-based combination that often works is that of Kanaplex, Metroplex and Furan-2. Dose all three according to package directions, for 10 days and re-evaluate to decide if dosing needs to continue. (It sometimes does.) Humblefish's complete write-up here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bacterial-infections.191511/#post-2196167

Uronema is a bit of a bear to treat, unfortunately. Humblefish's write-up on the topic is here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/uronema-marinum.247940/#post-2913295

~Bruce
Agree. It’s so difficult to ascertain anything from the blurry photo, can you try to get some clearer pics?

OP
OP
Congaken

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. It’s so difficult to ascertain anything from the blurry photo, can you try to get some clearer pics?
Only 2 of the 5 are left...one is pushing the other around, but no where else to go...little blenny is with them showing no signs...isn't uremia usually red?...after 3 of five are gone, I'll keep treating but discouraged about this batch all together...of the two left, no signs yet...but some bullying now...I'll probably just get a refund from Live Aquaria and start all over locally...

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only 2 of the 5 are left...one is pushing the other around, but no where else to go...little blenny is with them showing no signs...isn't uremia usually red?...after 3 of five are gone, I'll keep treating but discouraged about this batch all together...of the two left, no signs yet...but some bullying now...I'll probably just get a refund from Live Aquaria and start all over locally...
Uronema in its final stages (perhaps the last 12-24 hours) often looks like red sores or a large cut of very serious.

If you do that, ensure you sanitize the quarantine completely and let it dry out before starting over. Clean everything in vinegar or bleach and rinse well.

OP
OP
Congaken

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema in its final stages (perhaps the last 12-24 hours) often looks like red sores or a large cut of very serious.

If you do that, ensure you sanitize the quarantine completely and let it dry out before starting over. Clean everything in vinegar or bleach and rinse well.
Thank you...treating but feel probably to no avail...hate this kind of failure...never get used to it...sending fish entirely across the country...even well packed...in this cold probably doesn't help...one or two were floating upside down but alive when they arrived...things went down from there...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back