Yellow Tail Damsel rubbing his mouth

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow tail nibbles at the brown hair algae but also at times looks like he is sideswiping the rock with his mouth. I can't tell if this is eating or he has a gill problem. He looks and acts fine. All my other fish are ok. Can you advise? @jayhemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He isn't under stress. There is a slightly new fish that was added after being treated with cupramine.
Tough to say, but a fish flashing/scratching its face could have gill flukes. Ich would show white spots.
In this case, the fish nibbling at the algae kind of confounds the issue. Did you ever dose this fish with praziquantel? Is it breathing fast?
Jay

OP
OP
Sebastiancrab

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to say, but a fish flashing/scratching its face could have gill flukes. Ich would show white spots.
In this case, the fish nibbling at the algae kind of confounds the issue. Did you ever dose this fish with praziquantel? Is it breathing fast?
Jay
No, never heard of that medicine and he is acting fine but still doing the flashing. I have prazipro and paraguard. I think it is unlikely that he has flukes and will hold off for doing anything now.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, never heard of that medicine and he is acting fine but still doing the flashing. I have prazipro and paraguard. I think it is unlikely that he has flukes and will hold off for doing anything now.

Prazipro is praziquantel. If the condition worsens, or continues, you might consider trying that medication. I woul;dn't use Paraguard, I don't see any evidence of a protozoan issue.

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 115 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back