yellow tang aggression to new tankmates

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this fairly normal for yellow tangs to show some signs of aggression towards new tank mates? I added an orchid dottyback, powder blue tang, and pyramid butterfly to my tank which has had a yellow tank in it for a few months now. The yellow tang is showing aggression to the powder blue and pyramid butterfly. Things like chasing them a little and hitting them w/ his tail fin.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it's normal. If the fish sizes and tank size are right it should be ok. The powder blue will put the yellow tang in its place

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might help to rearrange some rocks and tape a mirror to the glass

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very normal in this situation. The yellow tang thinks that the tank is his, and the additional tang and butterfly are similarly shaped fish to the yellow tang.

How big is the tank?

OP
OP
S

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everythings still fairly small. the yellow tang is 3-4". the powder blue is 2" mayube little bigger

Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this fairly normal for yellow tangs to show some signs of aggression towards new tank mates? I added an orchid dottyback, powder blue tang, and pyramid butterfly to my tank which has had a yellow tank in it for a few months now. The yellow tang is showing aggression to the powder blue and pyramid butterfly. Things like chasing them a little and hitting them w/ his tail fin.
I had the same problem in my 34 gal display. I put the tang in my sump for a couple days - end of problem when he was returned to display.

OP
OP
S

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just fed the tank and that seemed to have solved the problem.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
can feed and shut down lights for the night ,hopefully no problems tomorrow

OP
OP
S

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well the yellow tang played nice w/ the powder blue and pyramid butterfly today, so i released my purple tang. the yellow tang went to town on the purple tang. I ended up pulling the yellow tang out and placing him in my qt. within 15 min, the purple tang had fin damage. i suspected this might happen since the yellow is almost twice as large as the purple,. but when i had the purple in a holding cage in the DT the yellow showed no signs of aggression. Hell the yellow ignored the purple tang the entire time.

OP
OP
S

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is a positive to all this. when i got my yellow tang about 10 months ago, it was a juvenillie just like the purple tang i added today. It's insane how big that yellow tang got in 10 months.

Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you hav a sump or other tank put him in it for a couple days and his aggressive attitude will change. Mine became a model citizen.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its normal and should get better within a couple weeks. I added a purple tang around 4 years ago and my yelow tang showed whose nose. 1st week the purple got beat up pretty good and it was not allowed to leave a corner of the tank or the yellow would attack, so I would feed it with a turkey baster. After a couple weeks the yellow stopped inflicting damage on the purple and allowed it to leave the corner but was continually chased for another year slowly less and less. 4 years later and the yellow tang still gives the purple a quick chase but its really minimal now.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back