Yellow Tang and Blue Eyed Kole Tang

Sarlindescent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running my first tank with multiple tangs. I have a 20 gallon frag tank I am breaking down with a Blue eyed kole tang. I would like to add the kole to my new 80 gallon (4×2). Should I add the kole solo now and the yellow later? Should I add the kole and the yellow at the same time?

To note, the yellow is slightly larger, maybe 3" vs 2.5". The kole is a little more skittish, but I suspect that is a product of tank size. The frag tank the yellow is in will have corals for another 3-6 months before I move them over so delaying isn't an issue if needed.

The yellow has been in my care for around 1.5 years and the kole for 6 months. Both are healthy and eating well.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am running my first tank with multiple tangs. I have a 20 gallon frag tank I am breaking down with a Blue eyed kole tang. I would like to add the kole to my new 80 gallon (4×2). Should I add the kole solo now and the yellow later? Should I add the kole and the yellow at the same time?

To note, the yellow is slightly larger, maybe 3" vs 2.5". The kole is a little more skittish, but I suspect that is a product of tank size. The frag tank the yellow is in will have corals for another 3-6 months before I move them over so delayingisn'tan issueif needed.

The yellow has been in my care for around 1.r years and the kole for 6 months. Both are healthy and eating well.
Quarantine them to new tank and assure they have good water quality and diet

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To note, the yellow is slightly larger, maybe 3" vs 2.5". The kole is a little more skittish, but I suspect that is a product of tank size. The frag tank the yellow is in will have corals for another 3-6 months before I move them over so delaying isn't an issue if needed.

The yellow has been in my care for around 1.5 years and the kole for 6 months. Both are healthy and eating well.
Do t go for two tangs in a 4’ tank. Alone, a Binotatus is a rather dominant swimmer, constantly in and out of rocks and along the tank. I personally avoid any tangs other than a Ctenochaetus in 4’x2’ tanks. As you may have also realised, a Yellow is going to be a much more hyperactive swimmer than a Ctenochaetus will be. So IMHO, you shouldn’t do it unless they’re going to be the only two fish in the tank, let’s not throw max size out of the window either, two 4 inch fish that are hyperactive in a 4’ tank, one possibly getting 6 inch.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back