Yellow tang and red blotches

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 30 days hypo at 1.009 salinity, my yellow tang has developed red blotches that started around his dorsal fin before spreading. Otherwise he’s eating and picking one rocks as usual. Any thoughts as to what it is and treatment? Thx

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say without a picture, but red blotches can be bacterial septicemia.

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like septicemia which would make sense since hypo water is obviously not ideal water quality condition and does impact PH and ammonia a bit. PH is 8.0 and no ammonia registered throughout treatment period. I started raising salinity slowly yesterday with water changes which should help I hope. Salinity stands at 1.013 this morning. I also started treating with nanoplex and focus mixed in absorbent pellets. He ate allot of them last night before lights went out. No improvement today although he continues to act rather normal which I guess is a good sign.

Has anyone been successful in treating septi which i understand is somewhat common w/ yellow tangs? ...Fingers crossed

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NFG powder can work wonders for Septicemia. Highly recommend it for yellow tangs.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx but sorry what is NFG powder?
NFG powder is Nitrofuracine Green Powder. Some LFS carry it and it is available online.
The next choice would be Furan2 + Kanaplex but the NFG works faster and have had much better results.

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some say that by the time the red blotches spread, which it has, its too late. Some say try to save him but best to go thru the food and get it into system quickly....Thoughts?

Also is nitrofuracine the same as nitrofurazone!

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that a change in salinity usually after a water change or too fast acclimation will cause red marks due to capillary construction. Have you recently done a water change? Do you have a way to double check your salinity?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some say that by the time the red blotches spread, which it has, its too late. Some say try to save him but best to go thru the food and get it into system quickly....Thoughts?

Also is nitrofuracine the same as nitrofurazone!
Yep. The red blotches when on a Copperband Butterfly are usually too late to save the fish. But with yellow tangs it's a maybe. The sooner it's treated the better. Highly recommend anyone with or getting either of these fish to have NFG on hand.

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. The red blotches when on a Copperband Butterfly are usually too late to save the fish. But with yellow tangs it's a maybe. The sooner it's treated the better. Highly recommend anyone with or getting either of these fish to have NFG on hand.
Thx. The other challenge is that I can only feed him food soaked in NFG because its a 625g tank and tough to catch him and don’t want to ruin the bacteria bed by dosing the DT. The other fish are not showing signs of the bacteria but I suppose they can have it too? Such a dilemma. On positive note the YT did eat pellets soaked in NFG tonight after eating pellets soaked in Kanoplex yesterday and earlier today. So I suppose its a good sign. Can he get better by just injesting the NFG? The other fish are eating the soaked food also.....

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that a change in salinity usually after a water change or too fast acclimation will cause red marks due to capillary construction. Have you recently done a water change? Do you have a way to double check your salinity?
The red blotches appeared during the last 2-3 days of hypo-salinity 30 day treatment. I did a 20% water change and started raising salinity yesterday. It is now 1.013. I will raise to 1.015 tomorrow. ANyway he had it before starting to raise the salinity or any water change. My hope is by improving the water quality and getting him to eat p[ellets soaked in NFG, that he will recover......fingers crossed.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx. The other challenge is that I can only feed him food soaked in NFG because its a 625g tank and tough to catch him and don’t want to ruin the bacteria bed by dosing the DT. The other fish are not showing signs of the bacteria but I suppose they can have it too? Such a dilemma. On positive note the YT did eat pellets soaked in NFG tonight after eating pellets soaked in Kanoplex yesterday and earlier today. So I suppose its a good sign. Can he get better by just injesting the NFG? The other fish are eating the soaked food also.....
Most antibiotics work best by absorption through the skin.

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t been able to find NFG so am using furan 2 + kanoplex in food and it hasn’t improved although he is still wasting and picking off rock. Ive tried catching him in so many ways even at night with flashlight but he sleeps deep into the rock work. I’m beginning to think that perhaps i should treat whole 625g tank in case others have it too.....boy this is an expensive hobby....

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m happy to report that by improving water quality (as Hyposalinity reversed) and adding Furan 2 + Kanoplex to food only, not water column, the Yellow tang red blotches have reduced substantially and he’s eating more robustly and swimming around pretty normally! So far so good......Thank you Big G!

On related note, we might want to point out more clearly to those who choose to use Hyposalinity that there are draw backs and the common notion that fish tolerated well is something to re examine.....here’s what i learned and s/b further pointed out:

-Hypo can and will be stressful on the fish...especially the last 10 days of a 30 day treatment
- Ammonia will creep along the way
-PH will drop some
-Sensitive fish will likely develop secondary bacteria
-Fish will act stressfully especially the last 10-14 days and might eat leads and look lethargic
- take your time increasing salinity back to normal...would recommend at least 2 weeks...your fish will benefit from the gradual increase and you will like it too as you see them “come alive” with every water change and move up
-add some live bacteria at end of process to help reverse any ammonia creep
-Observe fish every day. If they are stressing obsessively, consider stopping hypo after 21 days vs 30...I think in 90% of the cases this w/b sufficient. If you can go to 30 days however, still recommended
- Feed sparingly the last 10 days as their appetite seems to diminish and will help with ammonia creep

Hope this hel;ps!

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is good news. It is curious that the yellow tang seems to be so susceptible. I've had to treat septicemia four times over the years … three of them were YT. First one died, mostly because i was new to the hobby at the time and generally clueless; but the other two recovered (using NFG powder).

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is good news. It is curious that the yellow tang seems to be so susceptible. I've had to treat septicemia four times over the years … three of them were YT. First one died, mostly because i was new to the hobby at the time and generally clueless; but the other two recovered (using NFG powder).
Yes thanks again....now if only I could get me Goldflake to eat....He’s in 55g Qt and is just wasting away....I’ve tried everything you can possibly think off...he’s currently being treated now for internal parasites again with GC....so .happy about YT but real sad about “FLakey”....

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sometimes a fish just doesn't eat. keep trying variety and perhaps it will suddenly start.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back