Yellow tang and wrasses when to add?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I would like your thought R2R on this.
I am stocking to RS650P
tank will be wrasse dom. but need some algae eating fish too and I love the yellow tang one of my fav. fish as of right now I only have one fish a midas blenny. had 2 orders not come in so good not sure whats going on there. I blame fedex

anyway my question is I am about to place an order for a few wrasses one flasher and two Helichoeres and thinking about adding a yellow tang. after that I will be adding quit a bit more wrasses to the tank, think the yellow tang will be a jerk?

I was going to wait till the end but this stocking is tanking way to long and need some help keeping the tank clean. I want to get ahead of the algae before its a problem. + I really enjoy that fish.

thoughts?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow tangs and wrasses have virtually no interaction. A yellow tang likely will be a problem with other tangs but I wouldn’t worry about wrasses and tangs. I would go ahead and add that tang if you need the algae removal. Likewise, check out the wrasse compatibility charts out there when mixing wrasses.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow tangs and wrasses have virtually no interaction. A yellow tang likely will be a problem with other tangs but I wouldn’t worry about wrasses and tangs. I would go ahead and add that tang if you need the algae removal. Likewise, check out the wrasse compatibility charts out there when mixing wrasses.

thanks for the feedback yeah I used those charts when making my stocking list. SOOO good right!
was just not sure if the yellow tang would be a jerk when adding more fish or not.

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone else have thoughts on this before I see if the vendor has one in stock?
I agree a yellow tang isn't likely to care about the wrasses.

Yellow tangs are hard to get nowadays due to the Hawaii ban. I got a captive-bred one from biota recently (through Algaebarn). These are pretty small (~1.5 in.), and thus unlikely to pick on anything at all. An adult yellow tang would likely cost a pretty penny.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree a yellow tang isn't likely to care about the wrasses.

Yellow tangs are hard to get nowadays due to the Hawaii ban. I got a captive-bred one from biota recently (through Algaebarn). These are pretty small (~1.5 in.), and thus unlikely to pick on anything at all. An adult yellow tang would likely cost a pretty penny.

yeah I have a line on a wild one.
hows the color on the CB one?

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I have a line on a wild one.
hows the color on the CB one?
When I got him he was quite pale, in addition to being rather smaller than I expected.

It's only been a week and a half but he's getting more color now. I would not say it's the most impressive color yellow tang I've seen.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back