Yellow tang appears to have black ich

Edub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the yellow tang I got 4 days ago appears to have black ich, they are very small. I will get a picture later, however I heard this can be treated with prazipro and applied some one the 2nd and 3rd day and I still se them, there’s not a ton but there’s quite a few. Please share your thoughts and how long does prazipro take to work.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Assuming it is black ich, there are two species of turbellarian flatworms which are known to parasitize marine fish: Paravortex sp. and Piscinquilinus subcutaneus. Paravortex are smaller and appear as grains of black spots rather than lumps. Piscinquilinus are relatively large and lie deep within the dermis(skin). As a result, a pigmented dermis may show once killed resulting in a black spot regardless of a living parasite within the skin.
there are a few methods you can utilize to battle this. Although PraziPro may help, this is not the type of worm or a fluke that you are battling.
You will need to treat with an anthelmintic type of treatment. begin with FW dip – 5 minute freshwater dip may only provide temporary relief, and not result in complete eradication and assure temp is same as display tank. As long as you are utilizing a FW dip, you can also do hyposalinity at 1.009 SG for at least 10 days. This kills both the infective and free living stages of the life cycle. My favorite is Formalin as a 45 to 60 minute bath treatment, followed by transfer into a sterile QT afterwards.
Reinfection will occur no matter how effectively the fish have been treated if these parasitic turbellarian worms are not eradicated from the main aquarium and for this reason, I would consider going fallow 45 days of no fish (hosts) in the tank. I personally would go 60 days.
Pictures will be helpful

OP
OP
Edub

Edub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming it is black ich, there are two species of turbellarian flatworms which are known to parasitize marine fish: Paravortex sp. and Piscinquilinus subcutaneus. Paravortex are smaller and appear as grains of black spots rather than lumps. Piscinquilinus are relatively large and lie deep within the dermis(skin). As a result, a pigmented dermis may show once killed resulting in a black spot regardless of a living parasite within the skin.
there are a few methods you can utilize to battle this. Although PraziPro may help, this is not the type of worm or a fluke that you are battling.
You will need to treat with an anthelmintic type of treatment. begin with FW dip – 5 minute freshwater dip may only provide temporary relief, and not result in complete eradication and assure temp is same as display tank. As long as you are utilizing a FW dip, you can also do hyposalinity at 1.009 SG for at least 10 days. This kills both the infective and free living stages of the life cycle. My favorite is Formalin as a 45 to 60 minute bath treatment, followed by transfer into a sterile QT afterwards.
Reinfection will occur no matter how effectively the fish have been treated if these parasitic turbellarian worms are not eradicated from the main aquarium and for this reason, I would consider going fallow 45 days of no fish (hosts) in the tank. I personally would go 60 days.
Pictures will be helpful
He’s not in my DT which is good, it definitely looks like grains of salt on him. So you say 10 days 1.009 SG and he should be good? And if so should I do fresh water baths in between days? Thanks a lot

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
He’s not in my DT which is good, it definitely looks like grains of salt on him. So you say 10 days 1.009 SG and he should be good? And if so should I do fresh water baths in between days? Thanks a lot
No, already in freshwater soluble. Grains of salt - white or Black ?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is an example of black ich on yellow tang:

1618009985678.png

Courtesy of Dr. Fish

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Lower SG to 1.009 and let him sit for 10 days? Right?
Thats for hyposalinity method but lower very slowly

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Prepare a container with treatment water, mixed per the directions on a manufacturer's formalin product. Include vigorous aeration of the treatment water, such as inserting an air stone, because formalin will decrease the oxygen in the water. Harmful ammonia can also build-up in the water during treatment, so it is recommended to add AmQuel or similar ammonia neutralizing products to avoid complications that can occur from high ammonia.
Once the treatment is finished, depending on the stress level of any particular fish at this time, give each a quick 30-second to two-minute dip in the second container of water, and then place them into the QT.
All fish should remain in the QT for at least 4 weeks, and during the quarantine period, you should continue treatment with formalin as instructed on the package label. You should also treat preventatively for potential secondary bacterial infections with an appropriate antibiotic or antibacterial medication. Make certain to leave the main aquarium void of fish. This will allow the protozoa to run their life cycle and die off, and prevent reinfestation.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 72 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back