Yellow tang breathing fast?

Sharkysnarky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might be paranoid, but I think my yellow tang is breathing fast.
my water parameters seem fine. Just checked phosphates and were around 0.08, nitrates maybe 10-15. The test pretty normal.

what do you guys think?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I might be paranoid, but I think my yellow tang is breathing fast.
my water parameters seem fine. Just checked phosphates and were around 0.08, nitrates maybe 10-15. The test pretty normal.

what do you guys think?

Very difficult video between magnifier and tang moving quickly but not crazy fast. Assure ammonia and nitrate Not elevated
Fish also has HLLE which is face/head/lateral line erosion. Again assure good water quality and also diet. Feed foods such as listed below- this is Not a flake and pellet fish but herbivore:
-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health

OP
OP
S

Sharkysnarky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very difficult video between magnifier and tang moving quickly but not crazy fast. Assure ammonia and nitrate Not elevated
Fish also has HLLE which is face/head/lateral line erosion. Again assure good water quality and also diet. Feed foods such as listed below- this is Not a flake and pellet fish but herbivore:
-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health
First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to respond.

I can look more into water quality and make sure everything is okay.

I wanted to ask you more about the diet and see if you can help me there.

Currently, this is what I am feeding them:
-I have nori attached throughout the day, and I replace it daily.
-TDO pellets in the morning (should I continue this?)
-Hikari Mysis in the evening (is feeding twice too much?)

I'll start adding selcon and garlic extract in the future. (Any brand recommendation for garlic?)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The tang is breathing a bit fast, but has a full belly so I don't think you are facing any serious disease. Does the tank have good aeration, not just circulation, but bubbles breaking the surface tension of the water? What is the water temperature? You should avoid using lignite carbon, or carbon in a reactor.

I presume this is one of the tank-raised tangs, it is showing epithelial thinning that most of them do. Here is an article I wrote about that when it first showed back in 2006:

Jay

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out selcons recipe on their website. I’ve been making there recipe for 2 years now and have the happiest healthy fish possible.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to respond.

I can look more into water quality and make sure everything is okay.

I wanted to ask you more about the diet and see if you can help me there.

Currently, this is what I am feeding them:
-I have nori attached throughout the day, and I replace it daily.
-TDO pellets in the morning (should I continue this?)
-Hikari Mysis in the evening (is feeding twice too much?)

I'll start adding selcon and garlic extract in the future. (Any brand recommendation for garlic?)
While good filler, diet missing fats and aminos

Add Foods such as LRS fish frenzy or herbivore diet, small plankton, spirulina brine shrimp and formula two flake and frozen

Brightwell has good garlic product.

OP
OP
S

Sharkysnarky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The tang is breathing a bit fast, but has a full belly so I don't think you are facing any serious disease. Does the tank have good aeration, not just circulation, but bubbles breaking the surface tension of the water? What is the water temperature? You should avoid using lignite carbon, or carbon in a reactor.

I presume this is one of the tank-raised tangs, it is showing epithelial thinning that most of them do. Here is an article I wrote about that when it first showed back in 2006:

Jay
Hello Jay, thanks for the warm welcome.

I have a skimmer running, the water temp is 78-79.5. I am currently running carbon in a reactor(brs rox 0.8)

It is a biota tang, thank you for linking the article. I’ll read it.

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple questions: have you had him for long? Is he getting picked on at all?

Is it possible he’s seeing his reflection in the glass? My yellow tang will start darting around and breathing a bit heavier if he sees his own reflection.

OP
OP
S

Sharkysnarky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple questions: have you had him for long? Is he getting picked on at all?

Is it possible he’s seeing his reflection in the glass? My yellow tang will start darting around and breathing a bit heavier if he sees his own reflection.

I have had him for about a month.

I do not see him getting picked on in front of me, but I have seen its fin damaged a few days ago which was concerning( it is recovered now)

The reflection is a good possibility, what would be a solution, if it is reflection?

1668298332659.png

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had him for about a month.

I do not see him getting picked on in front of me, but I have seen its fin damaged a few days ago which was concerning( it is recovered now)

The reflection is a good possibility, what would be a solution, if it is reflection?

1668298332659.png
I didn’t do anything with mine. He just got used to it after a week or two and stopped.

OP
OP
S

Sharkysnarky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Jay

I wanted to touch up on carbon use. Should I completely stop using it for the time being, or is there a timeline I should follow pertinent to Tang's health?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to touch up on carbon use. Should I completely stop using it for the time being, or is there a timeline I should follow pertinent to Tang's health?

Well, as they say, "it's complicated". Once you.ve used carbon, just removing it doesn't always help, but moving the fish to a new tank often does. Take a look at the article that I wrote on this:

Jay

OP
OP
S

Sharkysnarky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, as they say, "it's complicated". Once you.ve used carbon, just removing it doesn't always help, but moving the fish to a new tank often does. Take a look at the article that I wrote on this:

Jay

Thanks for responding Jay, I will give that a read.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%
Back