Yellow Tang concern

Jefiner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help I have noticed white spots on my yellow tang. We have had him for months did a FWD when we got him just to be safe and nothing came off. But we are now seeing these white spots does anyone know what it might be?

C71B8B8A-ED86-4BFD-8EAC-776EE18E0BE0.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Help I have noticed white spots on my yellow tang. We have had him for months did a FWD when we got him just to be safe and nothing came off. But we are now seeing these white spots does anyone know what it might be?

These are both ich and mucus spores
Fish will need to go into quarantine right away and treated with coppersafe or copper power for a full 30 days at 80 degrees at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 monitored with a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna, no api
Additionally, increase aeration with air stone and monitor ammonia levels
Any other occupants too should be quarantined
For the display tank it’s in, it will need to be fishless (fallow) for 45-60 days to allow parasites to complete their life cycle and die off without a host

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Not sure about mucus plugs. Cryptocaryon (CI) itself causes mucus buildup - with infection. It certainly looks like 'Cryptocaryon'. And the process to treat it is as outlined above. As to your question 'how did this happen' - if you click the link in my signature - there are some questions that will help us prevent this problem going forward. My guess is that your tank has had some Ich in it - the fish may have been carrying it as well - and some stress event caused it to blossom.

All that aside - treating 'quickly' - is important (I.e. I would set up a hospital tank today) - with good aeration, an ammonia alert badge/test kit of some type etc.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Could be ich or it could be mucus plugs. If the spots change in number and location day to day, it is probably ich. If the same big spots are in the same location, it is more likely mucus plugs.
Any other fish in the tank showing spots?
If it is ich, treatment will be tough if there are invertebrates in the tank.
Jay

OP
OP
Jefiner

Jefiner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much everyone! We will treat ASAP! And Jay no he is the only one showing signs.

OP
OP
Jefiner

Jefiner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what he looks like this morning. We are still treating the whole tank as mentioned above, but just confused why he looks fine today! ‍

6C0527F2-3C32-432C-8DE9-FD033891E4EC.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is what he looks like this morning. We are still treating the whole tank as mentioned above, but just confused why he looks fine today! ‍

because ich drops off only to come back

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will drop off, multiply many folds, then reattach to the fish. Eventually the gills will be inundated with the parasites and the fish will die of oxygen starvation. Look up ich life cycle. Ich and Marine Velvet are two enemies you need to know well in this hobby.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm a bit confused about the timeline here. Were these two pictures taken about when the two posts were made? That is only 15 hours, so that's unusual for all of the spots to have dropped off due to a treatment. You started a copper treatment? It generally takes 48 to 72 hours for copper to really start working.

As mentioned, ich spots will come and go at first - so maybe you are seeing that happening.

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back