Yellow Tang Damage Necrotic Tissue

MisterMonopoly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that another tang may have hit my yellow tang and damaged him. I separated him from the rest and now he has an about 1cm blackish hole/gash where the tissue seems to have fallen off. I’m guessing this is necrotic tissue? He is an otherwise healthy fish but I think this is an infection because it doesn’t seem to be getting better. Currently it is 11pm and the fish are sleeping so I can’t provide a picture but there’s nothing wrong on his body beside this dark black 1cm damaged circle in the lower middle of his body.

What can I treat him with tomorrow? Do I clean the wound? Leave him alone? I have antibiotics and several other medications but none give any indication that they would help
with such a problem. Maybe a broad antibiotic? The search bar on the site doesn‘t seem to work and I can’t find information on what to do so I decided to make this post.
Sorry if it has been previously answered.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long time since the damage and when did the black spot appear? It is likely a transport of melanin up to the damage site. It is normal - IMO - after mechanical damage. The fish try to fight against secondary bacteria infections with help of its unspecific immune system. Its include probably extracellular oxygen radicals and melanin is transported up as an antioxidant. However - wait for @Jay Hemdal to respond before doing anything. He can have an opposite opinion - and a good picture could help

Sincerely Lasse

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Lasse - pending a picture, you are probably seeing the normal healing process, this granulation sometimes looks worse before it gets better. As long as the fish continues to feed and behave normally, I would not treat it. Two caveats; this assumes you've had the fish for awhile (new fish are more prone to getting infections from injuries) and that the wound is not above vital organs where it could perforate down into.

Tangs and piranha are well-known for healing from injuries that would take another fish out - probably due to their lifestyle (piranha bite each other and tangs slice each other).

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Good water quality plays a role in healing. Since fish is isolated, melafix should help with the healing, but fish is capable of healing on its own

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the “displeasure of watching my Tang tango and it was my yellow that sliced into same size Sailfin. I happened to be looking with my magnifying glass when she posed dead center in front of me and I saw she was sliced on her side toward her own scalpel. Saw into “meat” but because of reading Jay’s posts, thanks Jay! I didn’t freak out. they all eat well, are pretty heavy weight and tank pretty old and ok. Next day, still see her gash but seamed together, today almost just a scar. She instigates the tango and still back at it!!
FA292B7F-9B10-47E1-A2F1-790E9EFEBE02.jpeg

OP
OP
M

MisterMonopoly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Lasse - pending a picture, you are probably seeing the normal healing process, this granulation sometimes looks worse before it gets better. As long as the fish continues to feed and behave normally, I would not treat it. Two caveats; this assumes you've had the fish for awhile (new fish are more prone to getting infections from injuries) and that the wound is not above vital organs where it could perforate down into.

Tangs and piranha are well-known for healing from injuries that would take another fish out - probably due to their lifestyle (piranha bite each other and tangs slice each other).

Jay
It definitely has gotten worse. Now I’m really worried. Typically when tangs fight they have amazing healing and don’t even scar. I separate them so they can relax and heal and in a few days they are fine. But this is definitely infected. Or there is a problem.

7EFA46C5-E910-4AE1-862E-273BEF4C8C6F.jpeg D38EAAEB-1E6A-4CA5-A2F2-96E0B471F99E.jpeg 994F216D-0535-4E19-BE35-BD803C16D5C2.jpeg E2232D01-C559-406D-A63B-AA6D327B7D02.jpeg

OP
OP
M

MisterMonopoly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish is still alive!! He just swims around pretty fast so I decided to catch him for a few seconds to get you guys a better picture. Hopefully someone can give some direction. I’ve had this guy for a few years so it’s not a new fish infection or due to additions.

OP
OP
M

MisterMonopoly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the wound get larger (i aera) or deeper? Does the fish eat well?

Sincerely Lasse
It was a blackish hole before after some tissue fell off, now its red and seems to be protruding out. He was eating well and is a good weight. He seems to be stressed and nipped at a few pellets. I need to treat him with something. Just don’t know what

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, the lesion is right above where the fish's kidney is are, so if there is perforation, the fish is going to be in a serious way. Prior to seeing the pic, I was envisioning a more linear wound.

What antibiotics do you have available? Can you move the tang to an isolation tank for treatment?

Jay

OP
OP
M

MisterMonopoly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, the lesion is right above where the fish's kidney is are, so if there is perforation, the fish is going to be in a serious way. Prior to seeing the pic, I was envisioning a more linear wound.

What antibiotics do you have available? Can you move the tang to an isolation tank for treatment?

Jay
Thank you for the quick response. I described it as best I could as a dark circle hole. No idea if it started as linear.

I have kanaplex, erythromycin, and triple sulfa. Non antibiotics are methylene blue, formalin, and something that turns the water super yellow and I forgot what its called. Yes I can put him in a separate tank.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´m not familiar with kanaplex, erythromycin, and triple sulfa for medication of fish because they are normally not accessible here in Sweden - but I think you need something that can work internally not only as a bath in this case. I leave rest of the advises to @Jay Hemdal because it over my pay level for the moment :D

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
M

MisterMonopoly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´m not familiar with kanaplex, erythromycin, and triple sulfa for medication of fish because they are normally not accessible here in Sweden - but I think you need something that can work internally not only as a bath in this case. I leave rest of the advises to @Jay Hemdal because it over my pay level for the moment :D

Sincerely Lasse
Thank you for your responses Lasse. Those are all I have and they’ve done well treating most of my fish issues. I do have melafix but its quite old. Maybe I’ll just give him some kanaplex. I don’t think he’ll make it. The damaged spot is quite large and is near his organs. Maybe an organ was punctured. Yellow tangs arent as thick as other tangs.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back