Yellow tang died in qt

Aubrie93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My boyfriend and I just bought a yellow tang 2 days ago(Sunday). We put it in our qt tank to watch for a couple weeks before moving to our main display.
Perameters: 30g tank running for about 2 months now with previously housing some fish from our main display, temp 80F, salinity 1.025, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5.0, and a hang on back bio wheel filter with carbon.
He was held at a LFS for a few weeks where they treated him with carbon. We acclimated him for about 45mins and then added him to the qt. He wouldn't eat either food I gave him seaweed or pellets. He just stayed in the bottom corner of the tank and would occasionally swim back and forth. I figured he was stressed from the move turned the light off and waited til the next day but same thing no eating. Today I went in to check on him and he was dead laying on the bottom on the tank. What could've happened? Is it stress related? He showed no signs of disease. I'm at a loss.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did he eat at the LFS when you picked him up? Could have been something at the store he picked up and couldn’t fight. Also what do you mean treated with carbon? Carbon only effects pollutants in the water column and won’t have much effect on the fish itself if it’s fighting a underlying disease.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Firstly - I never like to read of anyone having loss and sorry to hear as Yellow tangs have gotten expensive.
If they treated the tang with Carbon=-Shame on them as Carbon does not agree with mnany tangs and can cause stress, hole in the head and more.
I am concerned as you stated you had other fish in the tank which is a 30g and is too small for most any tang. The tank is not yet mature to handle such a load based on number of occupants.
Please accept these findings in stride and not knocking you as there is a lot to learn and this can be seen as an experience.
For the tank:
How long was it cycled and how long has it been running?
How did you acclimate(introduce the fish) ?
Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet?
What test kit(s) are you using ? (hopefully not API)
What was behavior of tang once in your tank ( eating, breathing, swimming,color)

OP
OP
Aubrie93

Aubrie93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did he eat at the LFS when you picked him up? Could have been something at the store he picked up and couldn’t fight. Also what do you mean treated with carbon? Carbon only effects pollutants in the water column and won’t have much effect on the fish itself if it’s fighting a underlying disease.
He did eat at the fish store, and I didn't treat with carbon it's just in the filter.. To help keep the water clean. I didn't treat the water with any meds other than nitrifying bacteria but that's just to ensure a colony is continuely growing

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OK- you mentianed LFS treated it with carbon which is very unusual. OR did you mean Copper ?

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK- you mentianed LFS treated it with carbon which is very unusual. OR did you mean Copper ?
There’s actually two threads for some reason.
It was treated with copper at the LFS, apparently. Also, the QT tank doesn’t have any other fish in it. It was used to QT other fish before, but the yellow tang was alone.

OP
OP
Aubrie93

Aubrie93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly - I never like to read of anyone having loss and sorry to hear as Yellow tangs have gotten expensive.
If they treated the tang with Carbon=-Shame on them as Carbon does not agree with mnany tangs and can cause stress, hole in the head and more.
I am concerned as you stated you had other fish in the tank which is a 30g and is too small for most any tang. The tank is not yet mature to handle such a load based on number of occupants.
Please accept these findings in stride and not knocking you as there is a lot to learn and this can be seen as an experience.
For the tank:
How long was it cycled and how long has it been running?
How did you acclimate(introduce the fish) ?
Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet?
What test kit(s) are you using ? (hopefully not API)
What was behavior of tang once in your tank ( eating, breathing, swimming,color)
I'm sorry I must clarify. They treated with copper not carbon mistype on my end. And we had fish in there for qt prior to adding the tang. They were removed and put in the main display so the tang was the only fish in 30g qt. The tank cycled for 6 weeks and has been running almost 2 months after the cycle. Acclimated with the drip method. Rodi water mixed with salt in a large bucket with heater and pump. We are using the API test kit but also have a seperate ammonia checker because api test is total ammonia. We've been using this kit for the 7 months we've had our display and the 3.5 of the qt without problems. We also take water every week to the LFS and have it checked there too. The first day, Sunday, we put him in he acted scared and was hiding then later that day was swimming around normally, bright yellow, but not eating. Monday again I couldn't get him to eat and he was hiding in a corner only swimming back and forth along the bottom with a less bright yellow. Then today no feeding again, same behavior and then this afternoon he was dead.

OP
OP
Aubrie93

Aubrie93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s actually two threads for some reason.
It was treated with copper at the LFS, apparently. Also, the QT tank doesn’t have any other fish in it. It was used to QT other fish before, but the yellow tang was alone.
Yeah I made a thread and then didn't think it posted so re did it but then they both posted and I couldn't figure out how to delete it, I'm sorry. Oops

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you match salinity in your QT to the water in the bag the Tang was in?

You mentioned your QT was at 1.025 salinity. Normally LFS keep fish at much lower salinity, typically 1.020 but I have had mine as low as 1.017. Salinity is the most important parameter to match in the QT. I always test the water in the bag and ensure my QT is within .001 of the bag salinity before I start adding QT water to the bag and finish the acclimation process, after which I add the fish to the QT. I then give it a couple of days stability before raising salinity in my QT to match the DT (I only QT fish for 10-14 days unless I see problems).

Adding fish to a tank with much higher salinity than they came from will cause osmotic shock which can be fatal.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 136 60.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.9%
Back