OP
William Norman

William Norman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few more questions

I am using bottled spring water(was told it better than distilled due to higher ph) as I dont have a RODI System yet (on the budget list). I assume I can still use one cap of eight.four for PH in QT ?

Also just so I am clear. Tomorrow. I fill up tank, get it warmed up, put in biospira and move fish over ?

What % water changes daily ?

Meredith - Thank you for the help.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@William Norman What exactly is planned to go into the 5 gallon tank? (That's teeny tiny eesy beensy.)

I doubt having your filter shut off for a couple hours would damage your bio filter that much.

Agreed.....but if ammonia was being produced in the tank it wold be bad in a whole other way.

OP
OP
William Norman

William Norman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mcarroll - 2 clowns and a Saddle Puffer for Copper treatment. Then post getting through all this in 3 month and putting the fish back in the display tank it will be my QT Tank. I only plan on adding smaller fish 2 a time.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like a very small tank for those fish for that length of time....and sounds like the recommendation is for a bare tank. That's a risky combination IMO...not likely to be good for the fish stress-wise.

A bigger tank would be highly recommended if you have to beg, borrow or steal one. I would also at least use some fake plants or something naturalistic to provide at least a slight feeling of cover in the tank.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few more questions

I am using bottled spring water(was told it better than distilled due to higher ph) as I dont have a RODI System yet (on the budget list). I assume I can still use one cap of eight.four for PH in QT ?

Also just so I am clear. Tomorrow. I fill up tank, get it warmed up, put in biospira and move fish over ?

What % water changes daily ?

Meredith - Thank you for the help.

For those three fish you may end up doing daily 50% or more water changes. With a big enough filter, it's possible to get away with using the 5 gallon for those three... but you may experience a longer issue with ammonia than you otherwise would. Just FYI.

I don't recommend using bottled spring water for these tanks. You just never know what all is in them. I would advise switching to distilled water if not RODI

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You get plastic plants so you don't have to worry about it....they can stay in the hospital tank permanently.

dealseer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything lowering the copper level unpredictably is a concern to me.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plastic plants and PVC joints are fine with a copper QT, they won't lower the copper level enough to be of concern. I agree 5 gallons is a little tight quarters for a 76 day quarantine, if you're planning on leaving your main tank fallow. A 10 or 20 gallon scrounged off a yardsale site would be better for them and less difficult to keep stable.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plastic plants and PVC joints are fine with a copper QT, they won't lower the copper level enough to be of concern. I agree 5 gallons is a little tight quarters for a 76 day quarantine, if you're planning on leaving your main tank fallow. A 10 or 20 gallon scrounged off a yardsale site would be better for them and less difficult to keep stable.
Agree as usual

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back