Yellow tang dying - need help

brucelee90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks, my young yellow is dying and any help would be appreciated.

I received this Biota yellow tang a couple of days ago and it arrived in a very bad condition (breathing rapidly and lying on the side). I put it in QT, hoping things would get better.

Unfortunately, the yellow tang is doing worse today - its upper half body has turned into a darker color and lower half turned white/pale. What possibly should I do to turn this around? Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 11.36.13 PM.png

OP
OP
B

brucelee90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wish I could help. what was the starting salinity in bag vs tank? You mention QT: just regular seawater or additions? Did you try to feed it some very small nori flakes? There's another thread here about a Biota YT that went downhill. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/biota-yellow-tang-death.860319/
Thanks Lapras! My QT has 1.024 salinity which matches the water in the shipping bag. No additives or medicines in the QT just clean RODI salt water.

I tried to feed the fish some food (garlic extract + nori + TDO pellet + frozen mysis shrimp) and it took 20+ bites earlier today, which I took as a very good sign.

Unfortunately, things went downhill very fast this afternoon.

JoseQ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there enough water movement on the surface for oxygenation?

Lapras

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
temp good? low ammonia levels? looks like u have pipes in there - u prob cleaned them first before putting in the tank? no leftover stickers or residue right? id try to keep feeding him but not overwhelming so the food doesn't go bad in the water.

JoseQ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any small salt like spots on the body or abnormalities you can see?

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have methylene blue or NFG available? If so dose per manufacture instructions and aerate heavy

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks, my young yellow is dying and any help would be appreciated.

I received this Biota yellow tang a couple of days ago and it arrived in a very bad condition (breathing rapidly and lying on the side). I put it in QT, hoping things would get better.

Unfortunately, the yellow tang is doing worse today - its upper half body has turned into a darker color and lower half turned white/pale. What possibly should I do to turn this around? Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 11.36.13 PM.png
I’ve seen a couple of cases like this. Did you acclimate using Biota’s directions? Definitely contact Biota right away for their advice (may not work since it’s the weekend).
Jay

OP
OP
B

brucelee90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
temp good? low ammonia levels? looks like u have pipes in there - u prob cleaned them first before putting in the tank? no leftover stickers or residue right? id try to keep feeding him but not overwhelming so the food doesn't go bad in the water.
Yeah everything's fresh and cleaned thoroughly. Trying to feed him as mush as he can take.

OP
OP
B

brucelee90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen a couple of cases like this. Did you acclimate using Biota’s directions? Definitely contact Biota right away for their advice (may not work since it’s the weekend).
Jay
Hi Jay, I followed Biota's acclimation instruction - no drip acclimation. The YT arrived in a poor condition in a bag of cold water. I'm surprised it managed to survive this long...

OP
OP
B

brucelee90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: YT has some damage near the lateral line/face area and I’m suspecting bacteria infection. Trying to get some broad spectrum antibiotics online but it’s gonna take a few days to arrive.

Overall the fish is not improving.

hivelyj6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: YT has some damage near the lateral line/face area and I’m suspecting bacteria infection. Trying to get some broad spectrum antibiotics online but it’s gonna take a few days to arrive.

Overall the fish is not improving.
How did this pan out? Did the antibiotics work?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back